• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sometimes use a little Saphir Cordovan cream if I get a scuff on my cordovan shoes and need to fix it.

I also should come clean that the mac method is a pain ********** for those of us who are busy most of the day.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh patrick; that's going to shut us all up!
shog[1].gif

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No one told me (why should they?) that Lexol Conditioner is a liquid. I shook the bottle, thinking that I was dealing with a cream. Gave it a good squirt and covered the inside and outside of my shoes. It could be worse, I guess. The inside of my shoes are wonderfully conditioned.

roadway

Reaction score
I turn the shoes upside down at an angle, (the shoe opening pointing towards the ground with the sole at about a 45 degree angle) and I literally pour Lexol on the underside of the tongue so it acts as a slide for the conditioner into the shoe. Then I just get my hand in there and blindly wipe it on the ball area of the upper lining and everywhere else. It does a good job of absorbing everything just using your hand. If it doesn't you can just shove an old t shirt in there to absorb the rest. I don't over think it really, doing this is better than doing nothing. I then put the trees back in so that should absorb extra as well.

I would be careful doing this on shoes that use gemming. If you get too much conditioner in there and it seeps in between the insole and upper lining it can loosen the glue that holds the gemming in place causing it to shift when you get a resole.
No one told me (why should they?) that Lexol Conditioner is a liquid. I shook the bottle, thinking that I was dealing with a cream. Gave it a good squirt and covered the inside and outside of my shoes. It could be worse, I guess. The inside of my shoes are wonderfully conditioned.

You need to pay attention in class :)

Last edited:

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I would be careful doing this on shoes that use gemming. If you get too much conditioner in there and it seeps in between the insole and upper lining it can loosen the glue that holds the gemming in place causing it to shift when you get a resole.

I never thought about that...I don't pour it in...but I think you may be on to something there. If nothing else "better safe than sorry."

CalzolaiFeF

Reaction score
OOI, anyone come across Collonil 1909 Supreme Creme de Luxe?

Think it's a poor mans Saphir at, ironically, twice the price.

Twice the price?

Here Collonil 1909 has the same price of the standard Saphir, and costs two-thirds of the MdO.

It's not a bad cream: wonderful for the brushed calf, good on other skins. The real problem: only four colors (black, mahogany, dark brown and neutral)

Nakedsnake

Reaction score

I have a use the 1909 creme wax, paste wax, nano protector, suede bricks, and almost everything else they carry. Absolutely love all of it. If you are looking for a really good conditioner, 1909 does NOT have you covered, they don't really offer a product for that. But their cremes give a touch of conditioning, with tons of pigment (fills in/covers up lots of surface scuffs and scratches) and actually brushes and buffs to a good shine. The paste wax is good as well. Nano spray is great. Never tried the Terrago nano spray from leffot, but I would think that the 1909 is comparable.

Sorry if this was a bit long winded, but when I wanted to try collonil, I had a really hard time getting any info on it from anywhere.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Certainly not twice the price if you buy it on Amazon UK. An added advantage of the Supreme Creme de Luxe is that it contains no turpentine. This is good for people like me who are allergic to turps or to anyone who doesn't like the smell. That's not to say that all of the Collonil products don't contain turpentine - some do. The Supreme Creme de Luxe certainly isn't a 'poor man's Saphir.' It's good stuff!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads