Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Just an off-beat suggestion but one I have successfully used in the pas--try mixing some colours. You might be surprised how close you can get.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014

2. BlackTalon

BlackTalon Member

Hi everyone,

I've recently purchased a pair of Berluti Lorenzo kangaroo leather loafers, and am wondering how I should care for them. The leather is very soft unlike calf leather, but does not have the texture of suede either. Berluti recommends rubbing in their renovating lotion (which I suspect is made by Saphir) every month or so, but the first time I tried it, it removed the factory shine on the loafers converted it to a matte finish.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I use Sapir products for my calfskin shoes, if that helps.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014

3. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

Cross post from Q&A thread. thought there would be enough shoe freaks here someone might be able to comment on my situation...

So I had my fitting for my wedding shoes. They fit great and only need minor adjustments on the vamp which is encouraging. The thing is..

I mentioned to the cordwainer that I was a little disappointed in the color as I was expecting a light grey/blue which could get some antiquing with the finish. Instead it is a very dark grey that indoors looks black and outdoors looks just dark grey.

He said that he would be able to add blue dye to the leather before applying the finish which would make the it come out a bit more how I expected.

Is this ok? dying calf leather again after making the shoe sounds a bit like a hack job but I have no idea. Any input whether I should give the go ahead would be appreciated.

for reference a couple of pics...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. kloss

kloss Senior member

use a cloth or horsehair brush to polish it

5. CalzolaiFeF

CalzolaiFeF Well-Known Member

Dyeing a finished shoe is not a hack job, is just the way all the french patina artists work :D

Why the floating medallion in that position? You asked for it? Because for me it's a bit too far from the point...

6. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

Ok thanks.

No I jsut asked them for medallion. Actually I used the Anthony Cleverly Tavistock for inspiration and showed them some pics to guide. I assumed maybe the medallion was a little higher than usual because the sole hasn't been fixed yet and that would pull down the edges some. I don't expect it to be a perfect shoe given it's from a local guy rather the one of the big houses and costs under $1k but was hoping it will come out looking like a proper dress shoes.

7. konda

konda Senior member

You will see if the shoes need it or not. Personally I would wear them for around 5 times and then decide. For shoes that see a lot of shit the dubbin grease is not a bed idea. For dress boots definitely nothing more than reno and cream/wax.

8. Munky

Munky Senior member

Excuse me. Is it seriously being advocated that new shoes be treated with dubbin?

9. konda

konda Senior member

I think it depends on where the shoes are worn. For hiking in mud and shit I'd throw some dubbin on them.

10. snchz

snchz Active Member

I have a pair of red wing boots and after 2 months of use I have started to use normal cedar shoe trees on them. I´m using my usual shoe trees size (us10) and for the red wing I sized down 1 (us9) I´m a true US10. It is a little difficult to introduce the shoe trees on the boots. In my other shoes I use the same trees and I have no problem. so Should I size down for the trees? will the leather stretch out if I use those trees?

Thanks!

11. BlackTalon

BlackTalon Member

Should I use saphir cream polish as well?

12. Cedric

Cedric Senior member

Hello guys,

I have a pair of walnut AE Strands that i want to dye in black.
    What do you suggest? I looked on youtube anywhere for tutorial vids but nothing

13. wurger

wurger Senior member

14. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Instead, consider buying some factory seconds in black and keeping your walnuts as-is.

15. roadway

roadway Member

I guess that means nobody else knows :)