Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. anrobit

anrobit Senior member

I am quite active on reddit (usually) and am one of the people who often discusses coconut oil and/or LP. I've used it on a variety of leathers with success all around. It's a very powerful conditioner, doesn't darken much, absorbs easily, and provides minimal water protection. I've used it on all my dry shell, in very thin layers of application. It can darken if you overapply (which is easy to do).

Coconut oil has historically been used to soften and condition dry and hard leathers, but it's availability has been limited geographically. It's very stable and penetrates well.

Unfortunately, I don't have long term studies, because no long term studies exist. I can only cite that some of the best conditioners on the market use it, and my own experience validates that.

LP is another matter, although I'd be happy to discuss it. I generally recommend against it because it's not a necessary product for most people (unless they actually work in their boots).

2. leetpuma

leetpuma Senior member

I was aware he was kidding. But seemed out of context enough to be trolling.

Any who if the rest of the fine folks here do not see it is trolling then kid away.

3. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

First time wearing these snuff suede chuckas. Big ole cooking grease drop right on the toe. What are my options? [​IMG] Thanks in advance.

4. Teger

Teger Senior member

just threw some coconut oil on my vibergs. lets see what happens.

5. lodestone

lodestone New Member

Hi Everyone.
    Just want to say thanks for an awesome thread. I've read it over the last couple of months, and I've learned a tremendous lot. It's been a big help as I've tried different ways of polishing my shoes. (Not that it's overly complicated but it certainly felt that way in the beginning...) The only downside of coming late to this gargantuan thread is that I don't know when I'll be able to add anything that hasn't been said a dozen times before, but I'll try.

Thanks!
    Jason

6. anrobit

anrobit Senior member

Hope you applied sparingly. Most people who have reported issues or darkening to me applied way too much.

Let me know how it goes!

7. Teger

Teger Senior member

they're definitely a few shades darker, but it feels pretty.. oily still? similar to obenaufs or lexol - seems like it should fade away

8. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior member

Thanks for going into a little more detail. Next time I need to do a bit of work on my shell, i'll give it a try, and report my results.

Also, I agree with you about the LP. I only put it on the boots that I know are going to take a beating. It does well for the snow where I live (have never tried sno-seal), but most of my boots don't get treatment with it; its overkill for day to day wear of boots.

9. laufer

laufer Senior member

My hat is off to you Sir. You have already added something useful to the entire forum, you took time to read the thread instead asking a generic question. I only wish other new members would follow your example.
    We are honored to have you as a member of this forum and once again welcome.

10. anrobit

anrobit Senior member

No problem! Be sparing. It's a powerful, highly penetrating oil. I usually use a fingertip or two to cover the entire rear quarter of my size 11.5 boots, to give you some idea. Apply, spread, and rub it in. In my experience, it's best used slightly below melting point of 76 degrees Fahrenheit so that it is in the transition state between rock solid and fully liquid.

I was a little less sparing with my shell AE's, but those were quite dry and needed it.

As for snoseal, I don't recommend it at all. LP contains a higher wax percentage (as far as I know), is easier to apply, contains no synthetics, and doesn't leave a sticky finish.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014

11. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior member

Great, thanks again. Yes, I am going to be using it on my shell AE's (burgundy Dalton's).

Can you comment on how your AE shells are, or at least were, in terms of dryness? I find my strange, but since they are my first and only pair, I don't know what to expect. I always see pictures of other brands, or even other AEs (usually Alden's though, and yes, I am aware of the "Alden glazing/finishing") that have a great shine to them, and a very hydrated, almost moist look to them. I can also achieve this on my shells, with lots of brushing, buffing, (sometimes a deer bone), and a hint of AE cordovan creme; They shine up like mirrors and look very "moist", but then it seems like as soon as I walk in them, even indoors, 100 yards later, they've lost all of their luster. Does this happen to anyone else?

Yes, duly noted about the Snoseal, the reasons you cited are the reasons i've abstained for its use.

12. Teger

Teger Senior member

in my experience people overthink shoe care. worse comes to worse you use some saphir reno'mat to strip something off.

13. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Fuller's Earth...applied multiple times.

14. anrobit

anrobit Senior member

Mine certainly look more hydrated now, although haven't been worn enough to really acquire a patina and I'm not looking for something very shiny at the moment. I'm sure if I tried, I could figure out something that worked.

It's tough to explain how they were in terms of dryness. It was a feel thing. I just knew they were dry. Carmina, C&J, and some of the other makers have the same issue (everybody but Alden, essentially). There was a pair of red carmina's that went for sale in BST today that really showed it.
    Hobbies are hobbies. Somebody's gotta think about it.

15. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

hi all :)

some quick questions about trying to match colors to shoe polishes

I recently picked up some G&G's in chestnut, rioja, and vintage cherry.

What color creams/waxes do you recommend I use on them? I generally use Saphir products on my dark browns/blacks.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014