1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. leetpuma

leetpuma Senior Member

Hey guys I always wondered:

If suede is never supposed to be conditioned (as per normal leather care rules) why does it never crack?

If you have reverse calf suede I have sometimes heard you can condition the inside of the shoe since its just an piece of leather turned inside out. But for split grain suede there is usually an liner giving it some extra weight so you cannot do this.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014

2. leetpuma

leetpuma Senior Member

3. Isolation

Isolation Distinguished Member

There's no cleaner that I can see in the pediwear store. Any suggestions?

4. leetpuma

leetpuma Senior Member

5. kirbya

kirbya Senior Member Affiliate Vendor

I think leetpuma is on point. A strong leather cleaner (Reno'Mat or otherwise) will strip all of the accumulated wax polish off of the shoe. Think of it as "spring cleaning." This is good to do every so often, and something that we recommend at least once or twice a year in our Presidential Shoeshine Guide.

Depending on the quality of the polish, especially ones that just accumulate on top of the leather or polishes that contain petroleum-based solvents, you can in fact clog the pores. Some of the cheaper cream polishes are especially bad because actually contain little waxes, do not even penetrate the leather, and therefore just sit on top of the leather preventing the leather from breathing.

Hope this helps!

6. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior Member

Wondering if you could further expound on your use of coconut oil to hydrate shell. I have never heard of this method, but do note that many products (as you mention) contain coconut oil in them. How you done this for a long time, with no adverse effects? I'm very interested by this. I can picture it working well. Might have to pick up some coconut oil to try this out.

Does anyone else have experience with this form of treatment to shell shoes?

7. leetpuma

leetpuma Senior Member

I also would be interested in anyone that has tested coconut oil long term. Reddit malefashionadvice has been buzzing about how bad/over kill Obenof's LP is for leather and how much better/more reasonable coconut oil is (for waxyleathers).

I would like to see and comparison of coconut oil and lexol as well.

8. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior Member

My understanding is that coconut oil and LP would be fairly different in terms of application. LP being for protection, as the wax, being hydrophobic, would provide some water protection, with minimal hydrating effects to the leather. Where as the coconut oil would provide minimal protection to the leather, but would provide a greater level of hydration. I would want the coconut oil to use for my shells, in an effort to hydrate, not protect.

Hopefully someone else can chime in here too.

9. Munky

Munky Distinguished Member

I have a new shoe care procedure! I't won't suit everyone but there may be one or two out there who like it.

1. Fill in slight scuffs and scratches with putty, apply two coats of house emulsion paint and sand down until level with the surface of the shoe;
    2. Soak the shoes in a bucket of Lexol for three days to soften the leather;
    3. Wash the shoes, using a standard washing powder;
    4. Apply three, liberal coats of floor polish,
    4. Buff with a scrubbing brush.

This method does not produce a shine but, rather, an unusual 'antique' effect. Any residue can always be scraped off with a pen-knife.

The author takes no responsibility for anyone using this method and it is, perhaps, not for the feint of heart.

Yours faithfully
    Munky

10. leetpuma

leetpuma Senior Member

Remember folks do not feed the trolls.

11. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

You're joking, right?

12. Munky

Yes, I'm not a troll and I was joking. [​IMG]. Apologies to anyone who has tried my method!

13. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Munky,

I knew you were joking and I know you're not a troll (I've run across my share of them)...but I wondered if the other fellow was aware of that.

Why I asked him.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014

14. Munky

I know, DWF, thanks! I just had a sudden crisis of confidence that someone just might follow my plan!
    Very best wishes, as always,
    Munky

15. Cleav

Cleav Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored Moderator