• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

anrobit

Reaction score
Related question: Any suggestions to minimize the formation of creases in whole-cuts? I know this cannot be avoided, but are there any good strategies to keep them from becoming severe?
Don't wear them.

Seriously though, shoe trees and proper care are about all you can do to minimize creasing in shoes. Higher quality leather also tends to have finer creases.

kentyman

Reaction score
Yes, I lost 100 pounds and went down 1.5 shoe sizes.

Though probably years too late, congratulations on this. Most people who have significant weight to lose will never, ever lose it.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Related question:  Any suggestions to minimize the formation of creases in whole-cuts?  I know this cannot be avoided, but are there any good strategies to keep them from becoming severe?

Like the above. Other than put in shoe trees there's nothing. Why do you want to reduce creasing in whole cuts anyway? To me that's what makes a whole cut. It is the raw denim of shoes.

I have 12 pairs of shoes and I try to rotate them (although some get more use that others).  I have just ordered SAPHIR MEDAILLE D'OR CREME DE SOINS APPLICATOR TUBE  and thought I would use this to buff up shoes before I wear them. This seems like a quick fix to me, before using a more detailed shoe cleaning routine. 

Why did you order this over the regular cream polish? Also, don't have have an allergy to turpentine? Doesn't this contain it as well?

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Patrick,
I'm buying the SAPHIR MEDAILLE D'OR CREME DE SOINS because it comes in a tube with a built-in applicator. This is good for two reasons. First, it is likely to be quick to apply and second, it will mean I have minimal contact with turpentine. I have overcome the latter by cleaning and polishing shoes outside the house. I don't know anything about the quality or composition of this cream but I imagine that it is similar to the cream in the square pot.

Joshua Lee

Reaction score
Yes, I lost 100 pounds and went down 1.5 shoe sizes.
Congrats, that's an amazing accomplishment!

Same thing happened to me, used to be way up there ca 400-450, and wearing a size 13-13.5D, my feet were like deflated footballs. Last year I lost more than half my body weight and became a solid 12.5.

Last edited:

bosh

Reaction score
Is there a reason for the 2021 sole being curved and not flat?

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know how wise my decision was to buy the Saphir cream-in-a-tube. I will let you know when i get it. There is no fool like an old fool.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How can I remove tiny dark water spots on shoes? I have read that this is salt staining, and vinegar can be used to dissolve it. Is this right?

namdaemun

Reaction score
I've a pair of black whole cuts and I think I scraped the back of my shoe on something....white? I tried to re-polish the shoe with black polish but the white simply won't go away.

Can anyone help with this please?

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's a chrome tanned leather. Once you break through the grain the corium is a greyish white. Black polish doesn't contain a whole lot of dye and what it does contain is bound to the wax and will not penetrate. A black cream should dye and cover it. If not you can try some shoe dye applied with a fine-tipped horsehair brush...just dye the areas that are white. If worse comes to worse get a permanent marker...like a Sharpie...and colour it--again, just the white.

Then just polish or apply cream.

namdaemun

Reaction score
It's a chrome tanned leather. Once you break through the grain the corium is a greyish white. Black polish doesn't contain a whole lot of dye and what it does contain is bound to the wax and will not penetrate. A black cream should dye and cover it. If not you can try some shoe dye applied with a fine-tipped horsehair brush...just dye the areas that are white. If worse comes to worse get a permanent marker...like a Sharpie...and colour it--again, just the white.
Then just polish or apply cream.
I appreciate the info. I assumed I bumped into a white sidewalk or something but I'll buy some black cream tomorrow and I'm sure that'll remedy it.

I was wondering is it beneficial to use shoe polish or shoe cream for everyday use? I've never used cream so I was curious.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are usually questions here about how to get rid of scratches. Surely these are part of wearing shoes? Short of wearing galoshes, all the time, I don't see how they can be avoided. I suspect that only the owner would notice the odd mark here and there. It could drive you mad.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Munky, quite right **** happens!

I have put a nick on the toe of left shoe or boot a time or two. Something to do with the car I think. Most recently did it with relatively new c and j Chelsea

Pattern - notice ding, :censored: pour glass of something, hide show away, return at later date full polish. Natural patina, history, character of your shoe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads