Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. anrobit

anrobit Senior Member

Don't wear them.

Seriously though, shoe trees and proper care are about all you can do to minimize creasing in shoes. Higher quality leather also tends to have finer creases.

2. kentyman

kentyman Senior Member

Though probably years too late, congratulations on this. Most people who have significant weight to lose will never, ever lose it.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Like the above. Other than put in shoe trees there's nothing. Why do you want to reduce creasing in whole cuts anyway? To me that's what makes a whole cut. It is the raw denim of shoes.

Why did you order this over the regular cream polish? Also, don't have have an allergy to turpentine? Doesn't this contain it as well?

4. OlafG

OlafG Senior Member

Iron Heart.

5. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Thank you!

6. Munky

Munky Distinguished Member

Hello Patrick,
    I'm buying the SAPHIR MEDAILLE D'OR CREME DE SOINS because it comes in a tube with a built-in applicator. This is good for two reasons. First, it is likely to be quick to apply and second, it will mean I have minimal contact with turpentine. I have overcome the latter by cleaning and polishing shoes outside the house. I don't know anything about the quality or composition of this cream but I imagine that it is similar to the cream in the square pot.

7. Joshua Lee

Joshua Lee Senior Member

Congrats, that's an amazing accomplishment!

Same thing happened to me, used to be way up there ca 400-450, and wearing a size 13-13.5D, my feet were like deflated footballs. Last year I lost more than half my body weight and became a solid 12.5.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014

8. bosh

bosh Member

Is there a reason for the 2021 sole being curved and not flat?

9. Munky

I don't know how wise my decision was to buy the Saphir cream-in-a-tube. I will let you know when i get it. There is no fool like an old fool.

10. Van Veen

Van Veen Distinguished Member

How can I remove tiny dark water spots on shoes? I have read that this is salt staining, and vinegar can be used to dissolve it. Is this right?

11. namdaemun

namdaemun Senior Member

I've a pair of black whole cuts and I think I scraped the back of my shoe on something....white? I tried to re-polish the shoe with black polish but the white simply won't go away.

Can anyone help with this please?
    [​IMG]

12. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

It's a chrome tanned leather. Once you break through the grain the corium is a greyish white. Black polish doesn't contain a whole lot of dye and what it does contain is bound to the wax and will not penetrate. A black cream should dye and cover it. If not you can try some shoe dye applied with a fine-tipped horsehair brush...just dye the areas that are white. If worse comes to worse get a permanent marker...like a Sharpie...and colour it--again, just the white.

Then just polish or apply cream.

13. namdaemun

namdaemun Senior Member

I appreciate the info. I assumed I bumped into a white sidewalk or something but I'll buy some black cream tomorrow and I'm sure that'll remedy it.

I was wondering is it beneficial to use shoe polish or shoe cream for everyday use? I've never used cream so I was curious.

14. Munky

There are usually questions here about how to get rid of scratches. Surely these are part of wearing shoes? Short of wearing galoshes, all the time, I don't see how they can be avoided. I suspect that only the owner would notice the odd mark here and there. It could drive you mad.

15. Cleav

Cleav Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored Moderator

Munky, quite right shit happens!

I have put a nick on the toe of left shoe or boot a time or two. Something to do with the car I think. Most recently did it with relatively new c and j Chelsea

Pattern - notice ding, :censored: pour glass of something, hide show away, return at later date full polish. Natural patina, history, character of your shoe.