1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

it's about the fit first and then the price, imo.

2. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

is it a bad thing? i'm a very happy kiwi man since i can think of it.

3. glenjay

glenjay Well-Known Member

I have heard that silicone can dry out leather, and it has been mentioned a few times in other threads in this forum as well. I don't have first hand experence with that happening, so I will reserve my opinion.

My statement is more along the lines that Kiwi promotes that it has silicone right on the tin of its Parade Gloss polish, so you would think that they would at least list it if it were in their regular line. It will be interesting to see what Kiwi has to say on the subject.

4. Ivon

Ivon Well-Known Member

I was only comparing the costs of the trees from the shoe companies. I understand that a shoe tree based on the same last as the shoe itself in an aromatic wood like cedar is the ideal, but the generic Woodlores will also work almost as well.

5. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

yep, i read that a lot. i use kiwi for more than fifteen years with some mall brands in the mix. it works. on a long term observation, the quality of the leather is more important.

i love to care for my footwear. i don't want to get it into a dissertation, though.

6. Northampton Novice

Northampton Novice Well-Known Member

Firstly, like you I contacted the manafacturer who at the time Dec 2010 was Sara Lee - the changeover to SC Johnson took place in 2011. It is highly unusual and improbable in such circumstances that an acquiring Company is able to change chemical formula, complete essential r&d etc within a few months, six - nine months maybe. Hence my qualified comment 'AFAIK' unlike your naive The "ingredients" listed by Kiwi for their regular wax line does not include silicone.

Secondly, a couple of years ago The school of Forensic and Investigative Science, University of Central Lancashire as part of a wholly un-related line of inquiry and quite incidentally needed to analyse the chemical composition of a shoe polish - this happened to be the regular Kiwi line, as I suspect it's so readily available. It was found to contain a polymer identified as Silicone. Since you are liable to getting things wrong Glenjay, please note the University were not investigating whether Kiwi contains Silicone or not, but quite incidentally as part of an exercise they needed to list all the ingredients used in products involved in some work they did and the polish happened to be an inconsequential component.

As per my previous post, this is not the case in all countries - I have a tin of PG and their's no mention of Silicone anywhere...it is not conclusive.
    This is good, your request will provide everyone here at SF with the most up to date and accurate position on regular Kiwi polish.

Moreover Fritzl isn't the only one who is a happy Kiwi user. A number of shoe makers including Edward Green used Kiwi extensively. However I believe based on my dealings with them now, that most Northampton makers now use polishes made by Dasco - this has to be an economic decision as these are generally of a lower quality than Kiwi.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  7. patrick_b

patrick_b Well-Known Member

I thought I remember reading here that Alden's wax polish is kiwi as well. While I have no info on the silicone point, I've found that I can get a mirror shine/bulled toe easier with Kiwi than saphir. However, the toe on some shoes is prone to cracking. I'm going to try using saphir and see if there's any difference.

8. Poshak Man

Poshak Man Well-Known Member

I bought the Havane directly from Valmour but bought Cognac from either A Suitable Wardrobe or The Hanger Project. I just checked The Hanger Project has both the wax and cream in cognac available and A Suitable Wardrobe has cream in cognac.

9. Northampton Novice

Make sure the actual polish you are using hasn't dried out.

10. Naka

Naka Well-Known Member

I'd love an answer to this as well, if any of the resident shoe care experts would like to chime in.

11. Northampton Novice

If you are looking to remove excess layers of shoe polish and do not want to use strong solvents or even something like vodka, then be prepared to put in a bit of elbow grease...you can use a leather cleaner or alternatively use neutral shoe polish with a cotton rag.

12. glenjay

This statement was rude and uncalled for Northampton Novice.

I stated what I knew from an ingredients list and stated as such. You disagreed, but didn't site your reference for disagreeing with me, so I asked for it. I was not rude to you, why the rude response?

13. patrick_b

I wondered where that came from...seemed out of left field. I've always found this thread to be refreshingly free of attitude.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  14. patrick_b

Is there any risk to using a solvent like Isopropyl/Rubbing Alcohol, mineral spirits or Vodka? If those products are safe to use, can someone walk me through the process?

For instance, do you use the solvent full strength or with a diluent of some sort?

If it should be diluted, what's a good, safe ratio?

How should the solvent be applied?

How long to leave it on the leather, i.e., apply with cloth, rub into leather and wipe off immediately or apply with cloth, let sit for a moment then remove with clean cloth?

15. Northampton Novice

16. Northampton Novice

Risk, yes there is always a risk. Lots of SF posts about solvents removing too much of the finish and the like, so whilst many here use such solvents as required, lots of folk steer clear.

If you are about to use these solvents on a really nice pair of shoes, my advice is don't. You may want to try it out on a pair you care less about first.

17. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

I've used a little rubbing alchohol or vodka instead of water for bulling toes. Mostly just to see what it was like as some of the 'professionals' use various sorts of alchohol for polish.

I don't think either of these are really much of a solvent for wax.

In any case if I were intending to strip to the wax from a pair of shoes I think I'd stay away from strong solvents per se and go with a simple detergent based cleaner that is designed for shoes. Or as Northhampton novice mentioned use neutral polish as a cleaning medium.

Your local cobbler should be able to offer you a 'wax remover' product. These are usually detergent based and ph balanced for shoes.

18. kirbya

kirbya Well-Known Member

We should have the Havane in stock (it is indicated as "tobacco" -- the translation)..if it doesn't show on the website, call and speak to Carlos (just finishing up Pitti Uomo in Italy, so I'm not in the office). And we should have the Cognac in both the cream and wax.

I'm visiting the Saphir factory in France if the group has any special questions they'd like me to ask...should be interesting. I'll take plenty of pictures.

19. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

Gdot custom polish/patina on a new pair of C&J Drummonds. My goal here was to approach a finish that Vass calls 'Italian Polish' or a finish somewhat like an Edward Green.

Deep, heavily pigmented and yet dimensional and transluscent at the same time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Picture quality could be better, will try again when the lighting is better.

20. glenjay

The following is the response I received from SC Johnson/Kiwi:

"Kiwi[​IMG] Parade Gloss[​IMG] is the only paste polish that contains silicone. All other Kiwi[​IMG] pastes are silicone free."

1 person likes this.