**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Are they blake stitched? If so the soles can be replaced. I mean if you like them any sole can be replaced if you take them to the right place, it will just be a glue job and the integrity of the shoe won't hold up like a stitched sole, but if they are in ok shape you can still probably service them.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014

2. Munky

Munky Senior member

'A Fine Pair of Shoes' have started to stock Saphir Neats Foot Oil. Does anyone have any experience of using this sort of oil and, if so, what for?

3. patrickBOOTH

It's a good conditioner for oily leathers and veg-tanned stuff, but the problem with it is in high doses it migrates a lot onto clothing, skin and so on. It also attracts a lot of dust and dirt so it's not good for dress shoes and such except for Lexol NF (neats foot), which is engineered to not migrate. Also, it darkens leather considerably. (Except Lexol NF). There is neatsfoot oil in the Saphir Cordovan cream in place of turpentine. Neatsfoot is good in small doses like that is present in the cordovan cream for shell because shell is a naturally very oily leather due to the tanning process it goes through. FWIW, I wouldn't put pure neatsfoot oil on dress shoes. There are much better options out there.

4. Grenik

Grenik Member

As another pointed out, I would think you can get a new sole if you want. They tell me that every time I go into Nordstroms and they want to sell me Magnanni.

To extend the life, you may try Vibram rubber sole covering. I have not tried them myself, but I think others have used them on new shoes to prolong the life of the sole. I use heal and toe taps, but allow the leather sole to wear at the "normal" rate.

5. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

I noticed that my AE brushes are making my shoes darker/matte after brushing. The shine only appears again after I buff it with a cotton cloth. Is that a sign of too much reno or polish buildup?

6. patrickBOOTH

Could be, or it could be too stiff of a brush. I have found that my 10 year old Kiwi brush does a better job than any new fancy brush out there. Not sure if it has to do with polish build up on the bristles (I clean it with dish soap about once a year) or it is just super soft from use. I think the latter. It really does shine up as well as buffing with a soft cloth, totally different than normal horsehair brush results. Try buying an old brush on ebay or something, or from a flea market!

7. Munky

Munky Senior member

Thanks, Patrick, for a useful response to my query about Neats Foot Oil. The danger, it seems to me, is the temptation to try anything that is out there. It is good to have a restraining hand! It's one of the things that makes this forum so useful.

8. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

The AE brushes are new, so maybe that's the reason for the matte/darker finish after brushing.

My old Kiwi brush does work much better than the AE brush as well! I'll use the AE brushes a few more times to loosen the fibers.

9. CalzolaiFeF

CalzolaiFeF Well-Known Member

If Magnanni uses leather insoles (I don't remember, but I think not) you can resole them with a Blake stitch. Otherwise the cobbler will grind the old sole to almost nothing and then glue a new leather layer on the old one*: you won't see nothing strange, but it won't be as good as a stitched sole.

* I've seen a pair of Church's butchered this way...

10. laufer

laufer Senior member

This is worth repeating.

I also want to commend Patrick for doing a fine work regarding the Saphir Renovateur. That product indeed dries out the leather and for most part Saphir Renovateur is unnecessary.

11. dohare

dohare Senior member

would a picture of the shoe help you determine whats going on? and how much does this kind of thing cost? i feel like anything over $150, that i should just replace with AEs haha.

12. patrickBOOTH

It depends a chop shop would probably do it for like $50, but it will be a $50 job. Just buy new shoes. Not AE's either.

13. Munky

Munky Senior member

Just an observation: I can't buy top end shoes but buy mid-range ones (Loakes, Herring and so on). Whatever shoes and whatever size I buy, I always need to use arch support insoles or just plain insoles. It's not a case of not trying different sizes; I have. I can only imagine that it is possible to fall between sizes.

14. dohare

dohare Senior member

youre an AE hater? look im an intern, and while they pay me well, i need a new car, i just bought a motorcycle, and i dont start full-time until July.. i would love Loakes but, its just not a smart financial move. dont big time me man.

15. patrickBOOTH

For a small amount more you could get Alden's which are much nicer shoes.