**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Apparently, according to Ron Rider the "concentrations" are different between the two. As to concentrations of what, I am not sure. But i'm just curious as to which product is on a dusty shelf because I can't imagine the Medaille D'Or to be dusty because it really hasn't been readily available for that long. It is also apparent hard to be able to stock the product. The other one with the blue top they sell at dry cleaners in France and is available everywhere.

Also for what it is worth, the Medaille D'Or, when originally sold was in a cylindrical jar and larger than the non-Medaille D'Or version.

2. SWRT

SWRT Active Member

My two cents:

I own both and can't tell much difference. They smell the
    same, feel the same and neither seems to remove more
    stuff or clean better than the other so I'm thinking the MDO
    range just has more conditioner than the standard stuff.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014

3. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

If its never been opened, I'd think its fine.

4. patrickBOOTH

Or it could simply be better packaging and marketing.

Also, FWIW some people prefer Saphir (also non-Medaille D'Or) Creme Universelle, which uses Jojoba oil rather than mink. I have a bottle of it. I can see why some people would prefer it over renovateur. It is lighter and soaks into the leather a bit more, this being said it doesn't raise as much of a shine as reno, which is probably why most don't use it. I feel like a lot of products out there make leather "look" good at the expense of leather really "being" conditioned. Looking shiny and being conditioned are generally at odds with one another, but people want to be able to make their shoes "look" good because they attribute that to being healthy. They also want to achieve this in the easiest way possible so that is exactly what the polish manufactures deliver... at the expense of the leather.

5. Munky

Munky Senior member

Before you started using Glenkaren products, pB, did you used Creme Universalle? I see that you have a bottle and you note its good points. If you didn't use it, was there a particular reason or just that you got into a particular shoe cleaning regime? I use Reno occasionally but I have found a UK supplier for the CU. I wonder if it is worth my getting it.

6. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior member

First off, I want to say that this thread is amazing. I have recently been reading through and there is a wealth of information here. Having been inspired, I decided to attempt to rescue a vintage pair of Lloyd and Haig Custom Shoes that I got on e-bay a few years back. I was not happy with them because they were dry and dirty, but I had them on my shoe rack. I think they were made in the 1970s approximately, maybe earlier. I plan to polish them regularly and add some Renovateur periodically. Here they are after my first polishing session (crappy i-phone pics).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Grenik

Grenik Member

I have a new pair of Santoni Prichards.

[​IMG]

They are walnut and I love the color. I have the Allen Edmunds shoe cleaner, but some of the user comments on the AE site indicate that it can darken the color of the shoe. I want to keep them soft and supple, does the Saphir, Lexol, and/or Meltonian darken the shoes? I was planning on using the AE neutral "premium polish" (squeeze bottle and applicator) or the Meltonian neutral shoe cream (after one of the cleaners). Should I use anything with color? Other recommendations?

8. patrickBOOTH

I never used it in a regimen. I got it purely out of curiosity. I remain wary of anything that doesn't give the exact full ingredients, it very well could have a lot of the things I don't like about the renovateur, but nobody knows except Saphir. I use it for cleaning any odd substances that spill onto my briefcase, or whatever I may inadvertently place it down in, beer, wine, liquor, things a buff won't take out.
    Lexol is good stuff, it won't darken the color if you use it sparingly, but often as is recommended by Lexol. It may darken them when you apply it at first, but it will return to normal when dry. Nutral polish would be good, but your shoes over time will tend to fade, it is good to use a pigmented polish to keep the color up so to speak. Generally anything you put on lighter leather will tend to darken it over time, even neutral polish. The oils and waxes seep in and over time and will well, darken it. Some people suggest using a pigmented cream polish now and again with a color slightly lighter than the shoes to offset the darkening from the oils in the polish.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014

9. Stirling

Stirling Senior member

Poppycock. Although it is true that being shiny does not equate to be conditioned.

10. revrend

revrend Well-Known Member

I can't find the MSDS myself, but others report that it doesn't have a very high oil content and that it has "industrial chemicals." IIRC, that should make it pretty stable.

11. Grenik

Grenik Member

Thank you for the advice. The occasional use of the lighter polish makes a lot of sense.

12. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

I have a new pair of Vass that arrived with brown edge trim rather than black (which I had requested, but whatever). I'm thinking of having a cobbler change the edge color. Will it make any difference if I wear the shoes before taking them to the cobbler? From what I've read, that seems unlikely, but I thought I'd ask. Thanks!

13. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Shouldn't.

14. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

I think what I was looking at was more similar to the Medaille D'Or packaging. It wasn't "abandoned" dusty, it was just "badly run shop" dusty. I mean, I bought a suede brush at this place and they had to give me like $6 in coins because they didn't have singles or fives in the register, so forgetting to dust a shelf that's sort of away from the main part of the store isn't jaw-droppingly out of character. I think they had neutral Saphir wax, too, which I guess I should pick up.

15. jasonmx3

jasonmx3 Senior member

Thanks for this. Very helpful (even if we don't really know the difference between them)!