**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Certain oils do oxidize over time also the solvents are likely to evaporate over time. It's hard to say really.

2. azumi

azumi Senior member

Sorry for a question off topic about shoe care.

Do you think the Saphir Renovateur and Dubbin Graise can be used on other leather stuffs like belt, wallet etc?

3. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Thanks, guys. I don't know that much about it (other than: in the first 40 or so pages of this thread I read, people were using it like it were Sriracha, and in the last 20 pages, people are only using it for specialized applications), but I figure it can't hurt to have a jar.

4. patrickBOOTH

There's a few things to consider. I can't really see the purpose in using Reno on anything like an accessory other than if it were spotted with something that doesn't wipe off with a cloth. Reno is great for restoring life to the finishing of leather and smoothing things out, not so much as conditioning. Dubbin is a good conditioner, but it is very greasy and heavy so you're going to have issues with the oils migrating into your hands and clothing, furthermore it attracts dust and dirt and such. If it is a "look" you're trying to go for if using it sparingly, because well, it transfers if over used and not allowed to sit. If I were you I'd use Glenkaren cleaner/conditioner, Lexol, or Bick4

It goes to show you not to jump on the bandwagon with overly hyped products without experience, but yes, give it a shot. If you can get your hands on a newer jar check the smell between the both, if it smells rancid you'll know. Also, the consistency of the older one I would imagine might thicken.

Let me ask you, is the jar cap blue or black? Also is it round or short and square?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014

5. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Sriracha! LOL!! Love the stuff.

6. Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens Well-Known Member

Looking for some tips on rough out leather care. I have a suede brush to clean dirt but I'm unsure about conditioning...

7. tcbrgs

tcbrgs Senior member

Guys anyone know of a company in England who will take a plain light tan coloured brogue, and dye/stain it a slightly different colour, with perhaps a darker front going to a lighter back?

8. mattscott251

mattscott251 New Member

Hello all,

I recently bought my first pair of decent leather shoes and am having problems with general care. There's so much varying information to be found so I decided I'd find a forum and post so that hopefully someone could help me.

Here's a breakdown: I bought these shoes, then took them to what seemed to be a high end shoe store to ask about how to take care of them. The guy sold me cedar shoetrees, a "traditional dressing for waxy leathers" which is a white cream, a decent cloth to apply the cream, and a general spray to protect them. When I asked about shoe polish, he said that it was a waxy leather and the the cream was all that was needed, and showed me how when he ran his finger on the inside of the shoe, the outside changed to a lighter color. Thus, he said, demonstrating that it is a waxy leather.

So I applied the cream and spray and they were looking pretty good at this point. I then wore them when I went out on New Year's Eve and in the morning noticed a few stains on them from the night. So I used water and a sponge and washed the spots out. Which from what I've been seeing was probably the first mistake, since there seems to be cleaners that one should use instead. Well, that left some unpolished looking smudges which I then proceeded to apply the cream to, thinking it would return to its original state. But instead it just looked worse. After that, I used the sponge and water again and a bit of hand soap to go over the front, because I figured maybe I just didn't clean them very well. Well now the entire shiny coat is gone and it looks rather terrible.

I took them to a shoemaker today, and he tried applying a wax, then a brown polish of some kind, but neither did a thing. He just proceeded to tell me that there was nothing else he could do. But from what I've heard leather is pretty strong and I can't imagine something like soap and water permanently ruining the shoes.

So right now, I have that cream and some clear leather dressing/wax - the stuff the guy put on at the store today.

Here are pics: http://imgur.com/gCZEZz6&OqQTlMT&EDS32VQ&9jHUZ0l&qpZSLGX&2zUALRp#0

First three are before the incident showing before and after I first applied the cream. Second three are after the incident after washing the shoe again and applying the wax, hoping it would fix the situation. I left a part of the shoe below the tongue untouched after washing, so you could see what it looks like with nothing applied.

Please let me know what I've done wrong, what I need to do to fix this, and anything else that's glaringly obvious that I need to learn about basic leather shoe care based on this story and the pics. I would greatly appreciate any help I could get as I am living abroad right now in a small town where I don't speak the language well enough to tell the situation as detailed as I have here.

Best regards,

Matt

9. patrickBOOTH

Well, don't ever wash your shoes with soap and water.

He's right it is a waxy leather, probably veg tanned. It isn't the type of leather that is made to look pristine. All in all the scuffs are supposed to kind of be the charm of this kind of leather. I can't comment on the products that you are using, but whatever spray you said you use I wouldn't recommend to stop using it. Your shoes probably need a good condition like Lexol NF (stands for neatsfoot) and some dark brown cream polish very sparingly in very light coats buffing between each coat. If you try and glob it on all at once it will look like shit, you need to let it build using light coats. You probably won't ever get your shoes to look totally solid as it is a pull-up leather (which is naturally waxy) and the color variations are intended. After the light coats of cream polish I would use a wax polish on the toe and heel areas to seal it in. Look for Polishes made by Saphir, or Glenkaren.

10. azumi

azumi Senior member

Yes Lexol, I have a can of Lexol and I have been using it on belts, I just want to know that if Reno can be a better alternative or not.

Thank you Sir.

11. mattscott251

mattscott251 New Member

Thank you patrickBOOTH.

I've applied thin layers of cream while buffing in between but it is still darker than the other. I can't seem to get back the cracked, multi color look that they're supposed to have. It's just dull, dark, and doesn't have the waxy finish like it started out with..

12. patrickBOOTH

You probably took out a lot of the waxes on the finish.

What do you mean darker than the other? You mean one shoe is darker than the other?

Try using some wax polish, or putting a very thin coat of Obenauf's LP, or Montana pitch blend on them, letting them rest and buffing.

It is really hard to say without handling them. Also could you post pictures directly to the forum, it would make things a bit easier as I can't really discern what the issue is other than them not being as shiny. The multi-color thing will happen with time as the leather bends and moves.

13. jasonmx3

jasonmx3 Senior member

PB, what's the difference?

14. jd13jd13

jd13jd13 Senior member

If I'm not mistaken, Saphir has different lines of products.

15. SWRT

SWRT Active Member

The blue cap, round bottle is Saphir Renovateur.

[​IMG]

The black cap, square bottle is Saphir Renovateur Medaille D'Or.

[​IMG]

I know the Medaille D'Or is their higher end range and costs
    about double the price. As to why it's superior...I have no idea.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014