1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

The main difference between the two is that the cordovan cream doesn't contain turpuntine and has neatsfoot oil rather than mink oil.

1 person likes this.
  2. sstomcat

sstomcat Senior member

conditioner plus polish it has neatsfoot oil which is supposedly good for shell.

3. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

So million dollar question, which would be the preferred/better creme? Sounds like the creme with Neatsfoot oil.

4. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

JR: I use the Saphir neutral cordovan creme on all my shell shoes. It does a better job moisturizing the shell and bringing out a glow than Renovateur or brushing alone.

1 person likes this.
  5. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

Thanks everyone! :cheers: I'll give it a whirl tomorrow.

6. Munky

Munky Senior member

What is this all about, then? I popped into my local good-shoe shop. Up until now, I have been buying 8.5 shoes from the F last. I explained that I was still having problems with fit. After measuring my feel again, said 'try these' and helped me put on another pair of shoes. They fitted very well and didn't feel as though they would need the arch supports I use with most of my shoes. The shoes he gave me were size 8 and G fitting. What's going on here? Shorter shoes that are wider and yet they fit? I think I may take to wearing old sacks on my feet.

7. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Even if the shoes were made on exactly the same model of last and from the same lot (shoe manufacturers re-stock lasts on a fairly regular basis), there is no guarantee you were fit properly...heel to ball...in the first place.

Adding to that is the fact that, within reason, all shoes of any size will seem to fit better when they are brand new and unworn...if only because it is a new and different feel. Only over after a period of break-in will you know for sure. It's the new "shoe effect"--shoe stores and RTW manufacturers rely on it.

8. Munky

Munky Senior member

Thank you for your help on this one, DWF. I now recognise what you called the shoe shop effect. I realise that a lot of my shoes felt nearly perfect in the shop but became a bit more roomy once I had worn them a few times.

To give him, the man in the shoe shop his due, despite the fact that he had given me an G fitting, he thought, that, on examining my feet, I was a F fit. He also thought that the difference was down to the idiosyncrasies of the particular pair he gave me to try on.

I suppose the moral to all this is, for RTW shoes, try on various permutations of size and fit and - perhaps - try on a range of different styles. I have noticed that the man in the shop that I go to is happy for me to try on loads of pairs of shoes, on any visit. He even offers you coffee or whiskey!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  9. DWFII

As long as it's a good Highland or Island single malt, my professional advice is buy all your shoes there.

:fonz:

10. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior member

Any suggestions for conditioning, resisting scuffs, and water-resistifiying (new word) horween chromexcel WITHOUT darkening it?

I have some alden 403 boots on which I used saphir dubbin grassie. It worked well but they are quite a bit darker than they once were.

I ask because my original ones have ended up being too short and sloppy, so I went with a longer, narrower version.

[​IMG]

11. Munky

Munky Senior member

Sorry, mistaken post!

12. Shawl Lapel

Shawl Lapel Senior member

I posted this in the Carmina thread but I thought I'd check here as well. Have tried these on but not worn them out yet and trying to decide if this was something that could have happened during me trying the shoes on or if it's a manufacturing defect. I've never seen that stitch tear through before but just checking before I email Betty to exchange them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. DWFII

Hard to know. If it happened after you got the shoes, it could indicate that the vamp point is too high on your foot and you are not getting into the shoes easily. Or if the shoe had been previously tried on...in a showroom for instance....by someone who was working hard to get them on.

Equally possible, however is that this happened in the factory...perhaps as they were pulling the last. In fact, there is some indication that a finish coat of was was applied after the damage was done.

Thing is...if the top line had been reinforced with topline tape and if the tape had extended (as it should, in my opinion) to the bottom of the facings, the chances of it happening at all would have been reduced substantially. In fact, I generally run that stitch through the tongue as well, so it's even more secure/anchored and a lot less apt to rip out.

1 person likes this.
  14. Munky

Munky Senior member

As a relative amateur on the shoe front, I am curious as to why the stitching at the bottom of the oxford lacing is so fragile. Would it not be possible to make this much more secure? Or would this make lacing or shape of the shoe more difficult? I often think that the pressure on this stitch is overwhelming and asking to be broken.

15. DWFII

It isn't...or shouldn't be. See my post above. Simple techniques originating from precaution.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  16. mimo

mimo Senior member

Further to DW's wise words, as a mere mortal who also buys shoes ready to wear, I understand the issue. I would give this salesman credit for recognising that different lasts fit different people differently, and not relying solely on what you say is your "usual" size. Every last is different, and taking a different width fitting in different lasts from the same maker is perfectly common. Also, theoretically, the 8G will be exactly the same width as the 8.5F, just slightly shorter. I suspect that if you've been sold a 8.5F on the same last before, it's because they didn't have wide fittings and simply sized up to accommodate width rather then length. This is not usually a good thing to do - the toe cap could end up hinging uncomfortably over your toes, among other thigns - but it's very common. Especially as most shops only stock one "average" width - longer or shorter is the only way they can go to get the nearest fit.

So the moral of the story is take this guy's drink, and try on different lengths and widths every time when you can! Also, make a note of the last number/name in which you took the shorter/wider fit. It will help you later, and you might be able to order the correct size online in another shoe once you know the last, rather than rely on whatever is in the shop.

17. mimo

mimo Senior member

Definitely a second, and it's disappointing that Carmina would finish and ship a shoe with such an obvious (and fixable!) defect. Send it back, and sound angry. They should grovel and give you free stuff.

18. Munky

Munky Senior member

Thanks for your wise words, Mimo. I will remember them in future.

19. Munky

Munky Senior member

I'm not sure if I have asked this question before, or not. Can your shoe size drop when you lose weight? I have lost a stone and half (not sure what that is in American), over the past couple of years. My shoe size seems to have dropped from 9 to 8. Is this down to losing weight or to the vagaries of shoe sizing?

20. benhour

benhour Senior member

Munky i dont think that the loss of weight (at that amount of pounds you lost) can lead to 1 size drop down!! more of roomier last i think is the reason!!