1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I usually being one pair of cedar trees when I travel and at least 3 pairs of shoes, two good ones, and one pair of beaters in case of inclement weather.

I don't recommend plastic shoe trees in any circumstance. The plastic traps the moisture between the lining and the tree itself. Years ago when I was only a poor college student I had a pair of Chelsea boots that only saw plastic shoe trees. Each time I pulled out the trees they would be speckled with drops of sweat. I thought nothing of it until the lining of those shoes rotted and developed cracks on the inside.

Bring some old newspaper to shove into the shoe, that's better than plastic, ime.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. Nick V.

Nick V. Senior member Dubiously Honored

The only time I recommend plastic trees is for use during short travel.
    As mentioned the plastic will repel moisture back into the lining of the shoe causing decay.
    Also mentioned is they are lightweight and will help prevent the shoes from being crushed during travel.
    One solution is to wrap the vamp and heel sections of the trees with 2 layers of paper towel. This way you have an absorbent barrier between the plastic and leather.

1 person likes this.
  3. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Sarcasm alert

I don't know how this could possibly be true...we've had so much "expert" [cough] testimony here that rubber soles and topy sole protectors are not occlusive...no way, OJ...don't hold moisture in against the insole or the outsole. If rubber outsoles are not occlusive, how could affordable, expedient, modern, technologically advanced, plastic trees be occlusive??!! Plastic trees have holes in them and it's not like they're touching the lining everywhere and/or sealing off the leather they do touch.

It's SF heresy!!

[​IMG]

My own personal opinion is that for short periods of time, no trees are better than plastic trees.

1 person likes this.
  4. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

Ok, thanks all!

5. mimo

mimo Senior member

My less educated view would be: use plastic trees to stop your shoes being squashed in your bag. But don't put them into shoes after you've worn them, for at least 24 hours,so that they can be properly dry first.

In practice, I tend to stuff my shoes with socks to travel, and trust in the power of leather and reality that they won't die if I go without trees for a few days while I'm away.

2 people like this.
  6. Nick V.

They don't all have holes in them. You know that:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=ima...ized-printed%2Fvarious-Shoe-trees.htm;453;486
    They press up against the linings. You know that as well.
    I'm not interested in arguing for the sake of argument.

7. DWFII

I don't use them or sell them...every pair I've ever seen had holes in them.

What part of " it's not like they're touching the lining everywhere and/or sealing off the leather they do touch," don't you understand?

Oh?

--

8. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

Many lasted shoe tree don't fill the vamp all around, without touching the lining in many areas
    How can do that a small plastic shoe tree, occluding lining pores??
    I regularly use spring plastic shoe tree in some shoes and they are perfecty fine,
    I simply leave the shoes dry a bit before putting them overnight.

The only negative thing is that they leave a mark on insole at the toe, if anyone care.

9. Nick V.

Your like a rabid dog.
    I don't know why?

10. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I'm using them right now on a week long trip through Vermont and Maine. They work just fine and weigh next to nothing.

11. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

I dunno. I travel a lot - most weeks I'm going somewhere. I bring wooden trees with me and don't find it all that difficult. I'm cool with wearing the same shoes 2-3 days in a row if that's most practical (can't hurt every now and then) but I always bring trees and have never even thought if plastic ones.

12. lostintranslation

lostintranslation Senior member

A little bit late, but the shine on these look fantastic. Is there any guide out there that you guys would recommend to get a similar shine on my JLs?

13. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

14. DWFII

Who's "biting" who?

If you think I'm ever going to sit still while you misinterpret and distort my comments, you're out of your mind.

If you mis-quote me...and you did...I'm gonna call you on it. If you can't understand my remarks--the critical juxtaposition of the word "not" with the word "touching" and "everywhere"--to the point you have absolutely no clue what I said, best strategy is just to find something else to do.

Someone once said that it's better to remain silent and let people think you're a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

--

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  15. Nick V.

Where did I "miss-quote" you?

16. lostintranslation

lostintranslation Senior member

Thanks. I'll keep on reading. I've already seen a few guides, but the methods described are all a bit different. I suppose there's no silver bullet to achieving the perfect shine!

One of the guides that I read recommended stripping off the previous wax polish before conditioning and polishing your shoes. If I just polished my shoes a few days ago, is this something that I need to do before I go at it again? Or would you guys recommend only removing the previous polish if a deep cleaning is required?

17. Munky

Munky Senior member

Thank you for all your help, guys. I appreciate it.

18. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

Somewhat related, my mahogany G&G shoe trees don't absorb sweat very well and have some developed some unsightly sweat stains at the toes.

19. daveathall

daveathall Member

Thank you very much.

Here is a YouTube guide, his boots are already bulled but you can start on shoes exactly the same way, make sure they are cleaned and brush polished first. The technique is called "bulling" there are quite a few different ways shown on YouTube. TBH, I just wet my Selvyt cloth (available from Amazon) and then wrung it out and just kept applying polish in circles until I was happy with the shine.

I would advise that you buy a Selvyt cloth and put it in the washing machine first then the dryer to get all the newness out, forget about the "it must be Kiwi polish" use any good quality polish (I did not find Cherry Blossom to work well).

http://www.amazon.com/Selvyt-Cloth-...8&qid=1404562374&sr=8-1&keywords=selvyt+cloth

Hope this helps

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  20. daveathall

daveathall Member

Sorry I missed this as I was replying to your other post.

No, don't strip them, just bull over the top, the shoes will need layers of polish anyway.