**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. jacob6221

jacob6221 Member

Here's a question I have.

I've read a lot about shell not needing more than a wipe and a brush to maintain the shine, but I haven't had much luck. I have a pair of Alden shell #8 cap-toe boots. I got a little rain on them, so I let them dry for two days. I noticed that the welts had, for the most part, receded, so I hit the boots with a brush. As a result, they look dull. I took my AE shine cloth to them and tried to shine them, but they still look dull. You can see in the picture how the toe has much more shine than the forefoot, where they got wet and where I brushed.

What I am doing wrong here? Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. TWU2014

TWU2014 Senior member

I purchased a pair of J&M Aristocraft from a size 9.5e using the same process. I can now wear the shoes with any issues.

3. Itsuo

Itsuo Senior member

I have a pair of Alden SWB in #8 and the vamp is the most difficult part to keep a shine on. Do the inner/outer quarters and counters of your boots keep a good shine?

I occasionally use a collection of Saphir products to keep the shoes looking great but the vamp only looks good after a polishing and disappears the moment I wear them again. The toe, quarters, and counters only require a quick buff to come back after a few wears.

If you haven't already I would recommend trying buffing them with a woolen polishing cloth, that will bring out a shine a brush alone will not. (I only realized this recently from reading this thread.)

Seems like that part of the shoe isn't meant to hold a shine...

This is my pair, the one on the left looking at them is what they normally look like. The one on the right I hit the vamp with a brush and then a quick buff with a cloth, that's about the most I can ever get out of them and it lasts for about 10 paces so I don't usually go that extra step.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013

4. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

This was needlessly blown out of proportion. It was a simple pun. No "nattering" expected. I was trying to smooth over an inexplicable rift with an absolute stranger so maybe we could get back on track. That didn't work, so I (non-angrily) give up.

Please resume.

5. Munky

Munky Senior member

Gently moving on...is it ever useful to use a leather protector such as SAPHIR MEDAILLE D'OR SUPER INVULNER STAIN PROTECTOR SPRAY? I don't think I have seen such products mentioned on this thread, which suggests to me that it 'aint particularly thought of as a good thing to use. Does it change the colour of shoes and/or does it stop shoe cleaning products from being absorbed? Would you use it on your best shoes or on (what I think you call on that side of the pond) 'beaters'?

Thank you and best wishes, Munky

6. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Finished an 8 hour+ shift today, and right when the event was ending or it ended, I nicked the top of my dark brown cap toes :fu:

Got home and just brushed off, but it is deep enough to still stand out against the shine/dark brown dye upon closer inspection. It is a pair of Meermin cap toe

Curious can I delay caring for this (I will not have time till this coming Thursday), or will it settle in and not be a fixable problem? It is just a surface nick, off centered on my right pair.

How would the cobbler or I fix this anyway? Throw some reno on it and rub it out?

Appreciate any help. My suit, Drake's tie was fine and some sartoiral incident had to happen to my new pair of shoes lul

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013

7. wurger

wurger Senior member

8. Munky

Munky Senior member

Excuse me, re my recent posting, does any one use, or has anyone used, or has anyone planned to use: SAPHIR MEDAILLE D'OR SUPER INVULNER STAIN PROTECTOR SPRAY?
    With many thanks,
    Munky

9. Lear

Lear Senior member

I bought this stuff simply because I'm a Saphir bloke. Probably no better or worse than cheaper products out there. I give the suede a quick rub/brush before spraying. This probably removes some of the previously applied spray. Does what it says on the tall tin. Seems to do the job, and makes removal of muck that little bit easier. Summer or winter, I never step out the door unprotected.

Lear

10. Munky

Munky Senior member

Thanks, Lear, but Saphir also claim that this can be used on 'smooth leather', not just suede.

11. Schweino

Schweino Senior member

One of my Loake Pimlico boots, which I've bough as bad weather boot, has an issue with the welt which I'd like to describe as splitting. I have worn these boots about 5 times.
    I always thought the welt was made out of one single strip of leather, but it looks like this welt has been made of some kind of pressed leather layers which are now separating.

Has anyone ever seen this happen and should this be fixed or can't it hurt?

[​IMG]

12. Lear

Lear Senior member

Understood. When considering this product, I automatically think of suede.

13. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

This results from making the heel seat from extremely poor quality, flanky leather....or paperboard (unlikely in this case). It cannot be fixed short of being replaced but aside from being unsightly, it probably won't hurt.

14. Schweino

Schweino Senior member

Thanks for your response DWF.

I do have a question: Why do you call it the heel seat instead of the welt? This is a 360° welted boot, is this part of the welt called differently?

15. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

You see it from all angles... from up above where you can see the stitching going around the heel in particular. It looks like it could be a heel seat from the photo.