• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kentyman

Reaction score
Doesn't Elgin make watches? If you are wearing them on your feet that must be why they are cracking.
confused.gif

I find these Elgin's to be more "timeless":

JermynStreet

Reaction score

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO, that post was not helpful, amusing, and didn't contribute to this thread constructively at all.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Come on, man, do you really to ask?

I seldom do this...I make it a "policy" not to, in fact...but pB is right.

With no reference to maker, they look "rough" and country. To my eyes, any "harmony" or refinement has long since gone begging.

That's my opinion--an "informed" opinion, of course, with some basis in experience and knowing what's possible...but also with a large dose of personal aesthetics. That said, SF is about "style"--the superficial versus substance...and opinion is the reason for its existence.

Mind you some "opinion" is just parroted affectation, but not a reason for a "throw down," surely?

IMO...

--

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It was a simple argument to the statement that they were "timeless". I don't think they are timeless at all.

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
'Timeless' is a myth anyways.
Some styles obviously have longer expiry dates than others.

kentyman

Reaction score
It was a simple argument to the statement that they were "timeless". I don't think they are timeless at all.
Doesn't Elgin make watches? If you are wearing them on your feet that must be why they are cracking.
confused.gif
I find these Elgin's to be more "timeless":

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I just don't think there was any point in making the negative comment. I realize I bear some responsibility to bothering to reply to the inane watch comment in the first place; I was just trying to lighten things up with a joke, especially because this is how I was greeted just a few days ago:

I think you should stay in the Allen Edmonds thread.
Anyway, I'm not gonna let it ruin my Friday, and hope y'all can resume and enjoy yours.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'll admit, I was being a jerk a few days ago. I could have just told you that your comment was ill-informed.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I seldom do this...I make it a "policy" not to, in fact...but pB is right.

With no reference to maker, they look "rough" and country. To my eyes, any "harmony" or refinement has long since gone begging.

That's my opinion--an "informed" opinion, of course, with some basis in experience and knowing what's possible...but also with a large dose of personal aesthetics. That said, SF is about "style"--the superficial versus substance...and opinion is the reason for its existence.

Mind you some "opinion" is just parroted affectation, but not a reason for a "throw down," surely?

IMO...

--

DW, I don't think pB's statement was "right". It was a disparaging comment, and that was what I took umbrage with. I personally am also not fond of that piece of footwear but "timeless" is really quite subjective, isn't it? I don't think there was anything wrong with that statement, it was just his subjective view on that shoe.

What I take issue with is when people are needlessly rude or critical to others when there is no constructive reason or value for it.

Anyway, peace and a good weekend to all, even pB.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

DW, I don't think pB's statement was "right".  It was a disparaging comment, and that was what I took umbrage with.  I personally am also not fond of that piece of footwear but "timeless" is really quite subjective, isn't it?  I don't think there was anything wrong with that statement, it was just his subjective view on that shoe.

What I take issue with is when people are needlessly rude or critical to others when there is no constructive reason or value for it.

Anyway, peace and a good weekend to all, even pB.

No worries. Don't take it personally--it wasn't meant personally even if I did use your remarks as a jumping off point.

That said, I see so much ego-stroking, school-girl nattering here--"Those are beautiful!" "I'm drooling now!" "Great shoes!", etc., yada yada yada, that it all runs together into meaninglessness.

Sure, it's affirmation but it's like sugar without salt. If positive, flattering, critiques are valid/welcome, surely negative ones are equally so...and maybe even necessary, ever now and again, just to keep us all honest.

Beyond that I like pB-- from what I've seen he's nothing if not genuine...a rarity in a world that is too full of poseurs and pretenders.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads