• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beach Bum

Reaction score

Post-Saturday EPL shine. I'm always surprised how much of a difference a few wears makes after buffing the Renovateur. I also cream polish the vamp and sides(?) I use black wax for the toes and rears. Unfortunately this photo is back lit but you get the idea.

I've learned a lot from this thread about brining out the shine using wax and I would say one piece of advice I have is that you don't need to use very much pressure at all at any phase when using the wax.
I'm confused on your "buffing the reno..." comment. Are you stating that once you have worn shoes a few times after you applied Renovateur, a buffing does a great job at bringing out the shine again?

Itsuo

Reaction score

I'm confused on your "buffing the reno..." comment.  Are you stating that once you have worn shoes a few times after you applied Renovateur, a buffing does a great job at bringing out the shine again? 

Yes, I always think the Renovateur is just what I apply before creme polish and wax. However just after Renovateuer alone, I get a great healthy shine.

Thanks!

ErikW

Reaction score
Hey Folks, I have a new pair of Alden's in Chomexcel. What do you guys recommend for care? How long do I wait before applying any polish?

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Folks, I have a new pair of Alden's in Chomexcel. What do you guys recommend for care? How long do I wait before applying any polish?

I have four pairs of CXL boots and I have never applied any "polish" to them. CXL is a very sturdy and hard-wearing leather and really doesn't need much except for brushing and shoe trees. Maybe VSC or Reno every once in a while.

Itsuo

Reaction score
I have four pairs of CXL boots and I have never applied any "polish" to them. CXL is a very sturdy and hard-wearing leather and really doesn't need much except for brushing and shoe trees. Maybe VSC or Reno every once in a while.
Interesting you say that BS, because my pair of CXL LHS are my neediest pair. Some of that stems from them stretching a lot and now I get persistent heel slip, but it is also because of these cracks that appeared everywhere over the shoe within months of receiving them (they appear vertically along the length of the shoe). I polish them and wax (toes/rears) regularly and really can't fathom why that happened so quickly. I have other Aldens in calf leather that I've put many more miles on with much less attention.

It's possible that some of it has to do with my care of them but they never went more than a month without Renovateur/cream. The "micro cracks" were greatly reduced with lots of polish however they appeared all over the vamp but also on the inner and outer sides(?) as well.

Last edited:

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting you say that BS, because my pair of CXL LHS are my neediest pair. Some of that stems from them stretching a lot and now I get persistent heel slip, but it is also because of these cracks that appeared everywhere over the shoe within months of receiving them (they appear vertically along the length of the shoe). I polish them and wax (toes/rears) regularly and really can't fathom why that happened so quickly. I have other Aldens in calf leather that I've put many more miles on with much less attention.

It's possible that some of it has to do with my care of them but they never went more than a month without Renovateur/cream. The "micro cracks" were greatly reduced with lots of polish however they appeared all over the vamp but also on the inner and outer sides(?) as well.

Hey Itsuo, it's not you or your care of them. I love CXL but one of the biggest complaints about CXL by those who don't like it is that it tends to crease and develop what you call "cracks", or micro creases. It also tends to feel like the outer layer of the leather is kind of flabby and separating from the inner portion.

To me, CXL is a very casual leather partly because of this creasing. What's weird is that some of my CXL boots have hardly any creasing at all. Not sure if it's the part of the cow the CXL leather comes from or what. Some of the more knowledgeable folks on this thread might be able to provide better input.

Having said that, to me, CXL develops some incredible patina. I only have natural CXL right now but will be getting some brown CXL because the pics of well worn brown CXL boots show some incredible patina.

Happy Thanksgiving to all. Must get back to being sociable...

rainbowgrease

Reaction score
Good morning gentlemen.*

I am very confused as to what type of Saphir creme / wax's to get for my shoes, my new 1001 Burnished Tricker's came with cognac wax
but I believe that is only for the medallion / toecap.

Would it be ok to just add neutral wax for the black stow's and finally how do I enrich
dark brown shoes, is burgundy the correct type or cognac?

Thank you in advance for your guidance.

Here's the rundown:

* Tricker's 1001 Burnished.
* Tricker's black stow.
* Loake Cannon Tan calf.
* Vintage Cole Haan dark brown?

Last edited:

jerryberry

Reaction score
I recently decided to man up and fork over the 400 some dollars to buy some indy boots. When they came, they looked lovely. I sadly to go over the toes lightly with a neutral wax (i have no idea why). While one shoe looked fine, the other shoe was not so lucky. the cracking of the polish is very noticeable even with the slightest creasing of the toe. I have tried brushing off the cracked polish and when i do, it seems to have worked, but once i wear them and crease them in the toe, they begin to crack again. I have even tried using renomat, but sadly, to no avail. Is there anything i can do to fix this?

Here is the right shoe. It appears to be creasing normally.

And here we have the not so lucky left...

Last edited:

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I recently decided to man up and fork over the 400 some dollars to buy some indy boots. When they came, they looked lovely. I sadly to go over the toes lightly with a neutral wax (i have no idea why). While one shoe looked fine, the other shoe was not so lucky. the cracking of the polish is very noticeable even with the slightest creasing of the toe. I have tried brushing off the cracked polish and when i do, it seems to have worked, but once i wear them and crease them in the toe, they begin to crack again. I have even tried using renomat, but sadly, to no avail. Is there anything i can do to fix this? Here is the right shoe. It appears to be creasing normally. And here we have the not so lucky left...
Are these chromexel?

kloss

Reaction score
Are leather chamois appropriate for conditioning shoes, or just for buffing?

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently decided to man up and fork over the 400 some dollars to buy some indy boots. When they came, they looked lovely. I sadly to go over the toes lightly with a neutral wax (i have no idea why). While one shoe looked fine, the other shoe was not so lucky. the cracking of the polish is very noticeable even with the slightest creasing of the toe. I have tried brushing off the cracked polish and when i do, it seems to have worked, but once i wear them and crease them in the toe, they begin to crack again. I have even tried using renomat, but sadly, to no avail. Is there anything i can do to fix this?

Here is the right shoe. It appears to be creasing normally.

And here we have the not so lucky left...

Jerry, obviously, you can see these 'cracks' better that anyone. The boots still look fabulous and - with my eyes - the cracks are barely noticeable. Enjoy your boots!

Last edited:

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is pretty much normal for cxl I wouldn't wax it though if it were me
I recently decided to man up and fork over the 400 some dollars to buy some indy boots. When they came, they looked lovely. I sadly to go over the toes lightly with a neutral wax (i have no idea why). While one shoe looked fine, the other shoe was not so lucky. the cracking of the polish is very noticeable even with the slightest creasing of the toe. I have tried brushing off the cracked polish and when i do, it seems to have worked, but once i wear them and crease them in the toe, they begin to crack again. I have even tried using renomat, but sadly, to no avail. Is there anything i can do to fix this? Here is the right shoe. It appears to be creasing normally. And here we have the not so lucky left...
[\spoiler]

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads