1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

From what I have gathered from 648 pages; it depends.

1 person likes this.
  2. Munky

Munky Senior member

General agreement among the more respected contributors...what about the rest of us, then? [​IMG]

3. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

Is this the same as Neutral Cordovan Creme?

4. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

5. benhour

benhour Senior member

yes you cun and its quite really easy!! you just need a leather dye(most of the time i use saphir teinture Francaise, alcohol based is penetrating and dry a lot faster(15-20 sec and you are ready to polish)) , a paint brush(it ll give you a lot more control and precision as you want to dye only the welt) and a steady hand!!

only remember clean the welt-sole from polish before you start!! hope i helped [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

No

7. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Thanks! I appreciate it. I've never tried anything with leather dye before, but it sounds like it would be something I could manage.

8. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

I have some Montana Pitch Blend. Do they accomplish the same thing? It's a leather protectant, too. I got it from Leffot; has a similar effect on my CXL boots.

Nice shots! Did you clean with vinegar to get the salt out?

9. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

MPB and OBLP are slightly different I believe the LP protects a little better, however it also changes the color of the leather more.

1 person likes this.
  10. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

Did that already, thanks :)

What I'm gathering so far:

Saphir Renovateur / Creme Universalle — condition shell
    Renomat — strip polish
    Neutral Cordovan Creme — polish shell (?)
    Paste Wax — restore polish from deep marks

Glad I got the 1L Lexol for my calfskin stuff. Leather care will become my Sunday activity.

11. patrickBOOTH

You're over thinking this, just get pigmented cordovan cream and wax for the toe and heel and be done with it

12. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Senior member

So, I went to my local cobbler to have a pair of AE fifth streets with leather soles topy-ed (for work trips to seattle)-- he suggested that instead of putting a toppy on the soles he could coat them with some clear acrylic resin that would make them reasonably waterproof for a year or two of wear, without changing the feel of the soles or the look of a single-sole dress boot (for half the price of a $35 topy). Is that something anyone's had done? Or is my cobbler an innovator?

PS: I have read lots of discussions on topy or not topy. so my intention is not to initiate yet another argument on its merits/demerits - I'm just wondering if anyone had something similar done.

13. patrickBOOTH

Never heard of it, but resin isn't very strong I can't imagine it lasting nearly as long as he says. On top of that id imagine it would be slippery. Just for good measure: topies are for douchebags.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
    2 people like this.
  14. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

This is awesome.

I never understood putting a piece of rubber over a hand crafted oak bark leather sole. I always thought of it as putting a set of those goofy teeth on kate upton. Why make something beautiful, ugly.

15. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

Agreed.

Topy's ruin shoes. They are disgraceful.

16. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Senior member

yes. the soles on the fifth streets have survived one rained out trip to seattle (pretty well), and I'm wondering if the cobbler's suggestion of a acrylic resin layer is something anyone has experience with.

Wanted to add: With the right fit, balmoral boots are amazingly supportive and comfortable. These are my first of the kind, hence my (silly?) urge for extra TLC

17. patrickBOOTH

I live in NYC and despite Seattle's reputation for rain, NYC actually gets more. I have no problem walking in the rain in leather soles. Actually, it is less slippery than rubber. All about the coefficient of friction, man.

18. meister

meister Senior member

:crackup:

19. Munky

Munky Senior member

I can think of little else that is quite as disgraceful as a pair of Topy's.

[​IMG]

20. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Can't tell for sure from the photo but I doubt that's a cut or a split. I suspect it's more likely where a vein ran--a "vein shadow."

And while perhaps not indicative of best practices during cutting, this is one of the things a maker often encounters when dealing with "splits" (non full grain suedes). It can even show up on full grain suedes, on occasion. It's almost characteristic of suede--you never see such issues with full grain leathers.

Better to cut to avoid such "vein shadows," of course, but unless the "shadow" goes all the way through the leather, it is probably not going to be a real problem.