1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. OREO

OREO Senior member

If you live in the UK there is a company called ''shoehealer'' they do alot of work on Trickers which historically have thick as hell soles, so worth asking them. The issue with recrafting triple sole is the fact that most stitchers are old as hell and wouldn't be able to handle it (I have access to 3 Goodyear welt stitchers through work and none of them would be able to do the job).

2. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Lol well the 50/ 50 vinegar/water experiment may have turned into a big mistake. I set it up lat night, saturated the mark, wet a towel and wrapped it on the shoe and left it. Noticed the large wet mark and got nervous this afternoon and unwrapped the whole thing.

The shoe may not be fully dry but it seems like I may have only made things much worse haha. The original mark is still there and now a large surrounding mark exists and will probably dry with new outlying stains. I guess I will be polishing to cover up after this and maybe I should have just let them be. Lesson learned.

Original stain by the pinking, and the large new outlying marks [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Not many factory stitchers could handle triple soled shoes. The other problem is that the shoes would, for all intents and purposes be rigid and unable to flex. At the very least you're feet would be less comfortable...by a long shot...trying to move naturally in them. You might as well be wearing wooden soled clogs. There's a fellow in the UK who is one of the last master clog makers.

4. sstomcat

sstomcat Senior member

Best option is to send it to the maker for resoling. On the plus side Dinkelackers triple soles are like tanks, stomping on everything around them, and should last much more in between resoles.

5. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Burzan, I would have left it longer, it's pulling it to the surface and you will notice it transfer onto the towel.

6. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

The new marks cleared up now that things have dried thankfully. Now that the initial scare is over maybe I will give it another try.

Should it be left until things dry on their own under the wrap?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  7. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

Am I the only person who would just call this patina and carry on?

1 person likes this.
  8. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

I think that this is an under-appreciated point. There's a lot of questions about whether this that or the other thing will hurt a pair of shoes, when the vast majority will be fine with brushing and trees. No harm in using stuff to make them look nice of course, but let's be honest about what we're doing.

1 person likes this.
  9. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

I might be following that very logic now haha

10. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Senior member

That's what I wondered. Also after some use (even with just city walking) there will be faint marks and streaks in other places, so putting in all that effort to get that one blemish out seems rather futile.

11. Munky

Munky Senior member

TweedyProf
    I'm 66 and not, I believe, the oldest on here!

12. patrickBOOTH

Yes.

13. patrickBOOTH

I would agree with this. Shell shoes spot up like fucking crazy. It drives me nuts and I have given up on trying to maintain perfect shoes.

14. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

15. patrickBOOTH

Ugh, then I'll have to save more for retirement!

16. joiji

joiji Senior member

These are shell, yeah? Looks like a dye mark, if so.

17. Stunoso

Stunoso Member

Tried to do that so many times. Also tried cleaning them completely , conditioning, drying, etc. Still squeak like crazy. It seems like the only solution is to throw away their leather insoles, and get some other thin non-leather ones instead.

18. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

If the insoles are removable...and if the creaking really is, in fact, coming from the insoles...take the insoles out and use them as a template to cut a duplicate out of thin felt or flannel. Insert the "liners" in the shoes under the leather insoles. If you make the "liners"out of this felt you might even try cementing the felt to the bottom of the insoles.

That should solve the creaking issue if...as I say--if...the creaking is coming from the insoles.

19. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I recently bought a nice suede jacket, and am hoping to wear it out without it looking beat to hell after a week. Am wondering if it's a bad idea to spray a suede protector on it, like one would use on shoes? Does anyone know? (cc'ing: @DWFII and @patrickBOOTH). FWIW, the suede protector I normally use is from Allen Edmonds, which I understand doesn't have any silicone. Are there issues with using suede protectors/ waterproofers?

Sorry if this question seems out of line with the thread, but I couldn't think of a better place to ask it. Hopefully the answer will generate some useful info for people interested in suede care in general.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  20. patrickBOOTH

Apparently Saphir makes a good one. I have no experience with suede however.