• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OREO

Reaction score
Is it possible to use saphir renovateur and saphir cream on top of saphir wax polish? I ask this because when i use the wax it seems to create a 'boundary', preventing anything from being absorbed into the leather. Is it necessary to remove the wax every time i want to nourish my shoes? Also does anyone have any good methods to remove pate du lux, i'v been experimenting with an old pair of shoe i don't love anymore and lexol, alcohol (gin) and saddle soap doesn't do anything (i know renomat works wonders but it's a bit harsh and i hate handling the stuff)

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Essentially any good conditioner will be able to penetrate the wax if it isn't caked on too much, such as Lexol, Bick4, or, *ahem" Glenkaren, but in general wax should only really be built up on parts of the shoe than done flex like the toe and heel where conditioning isn't as essential to the longevity of the shoe. Conditioner and cream polish and very, small amounts of wax on the vamp is all that you should do. Frequent conditioning of the toe and heel isn't necessary, honestly.

benhour

Reaction score
Crust leather + St. Crispins + Glenkaren =
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

nice shoes Patrick with very beautiful shine!! i think the direct sunlight makes them look less shiny than they really are!!!
happy.gif

OREO

Reaction score
Essentially any good conditioner will be able to penetrate the wax if it isn't caked on too much, such as Lexol, Bick4, or, *ahem" Glenkaren, but in general wax should only really be built up on parts of the shoe than done flex like the toe and heel where conditioning isn't as essential to the longevity of the shoe. Conditioner and cream polish and very, small amounts of wax on the vamp is all that you should do. Frequent conditioning of the toe and heel isn't necessary, honestly.
You make a very good point, its very rare to see cracking on those areas of the shoe. Thank you for the advice

Lear

Reaction score
568 pages in this thread :eh: I'm not reading all that. So, how do I look after my shoes?

Lear

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
'So, how do I look after my shoes?'

Well, Mr Lear, I for one think you look very good, after your shoes.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
is it possible to have a beveled waist/fiddleback on a double sole shoe? or only single sole?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads