1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

That is nothing to be concerned about.

What you're seeing is the channel that has been cut into the outsole to hide the stitching. It needs to be opened, the shoe stitched and then it needs to be closed back down. But in order for it to stay closed the maker must glue or cement the channel.

Many makers (myself included) would prefer to avoid solvent based adhesives. All that's left, then, are pastes and glues that need clamping and are often water-based. They don't hold very long or very well when exposed to the environment, IOW.

If it is really bothering you, take it to a cobbler and have him slip some All-Purpose cement into the channel, and hammer it when dry.

2. DWFII

No...with me, WYSIWYG.

That recipe is mine own variation of an ancient and venerable Traditional recipe for "le pain grillé Français de cordonnier" from the rare tome Le livre de recettes de B. Crocker

But I'm sure it would work for day old French calf as well.

--

Last edited: May 6, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. Itsuo

Itsuo Senior member

Thank you for this! I figured it was nothing major, just noticed it when I was giving some attention the the waists. I might head to a professional if I decide to sell the shoes though.

4. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

Itsuo...are those a pair of G&G?

I have had this problem on every single pair of G&G that I own...G&G clearly needs to find an alternative as it is not working well...

I take them to my local cobbler and he glues/cements them and hammers it down and it seems to be working fine.

5. Itsuo

Itsuo Senior member

They are absolutely G&Gs. I hadn't noticed it previously, and while it may not be a huge deal it's just more ammunition for my decision to leave them. :embar:

6. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

True...it doesn't bother me that much...cause its an easy fix.

I still think G&G are better and hold up better than StC

7. DWFII

While true enough, I suspect that every manufacturer/maker that offers a clean, smooth outsole (no visible stitch line) suffers this problem to one degree or another...frequently.

In this instance, it's the materials rather than the technique, although it is often the other way around. But it's also symptomatic of the manufacturing sector/mentality and virtually inevitable. Competition breeds expediency...except in very rare instances.

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Well, you would be objectively wrong.

9. Munky

Munky Senior member

I am not sure someone can be 'objectively wrong' about the difference between G&G and St C.,Patrick, given that you have previously stated a preference for St C,s. Come to that, I am not sure that 'objectivity' plays a huge part in shoe preference, except at the extremes of the market.

10. patrickBOOTH

Because they are better constructed shoes and aren't gemmed? I would say that is pretty objective.

1 person likes this.
  11. Munky

Munky Senior member

I would have thought that the objective elements of shoes are in their build. Surely the subjective element is in the wearing of them. From the point of view of wearing, I would imagine that the subjective element is the important one. A pair of shoes that costs thousands of pounds is of no particular use if they don't feel comfortable or wear well. They may have aesthetic qualities but, in my view, achieve little if they are not comfortable.

12. DWFII

:rimshot:

I agree...I don't know how you get more objective than by comparing construction techniques. .

:cheers:

1 person likes this.
  13. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Pros/Cons to attaching some heel pads with Shoe Goo?

The pads I bought were press apply and they eventually loosened. I tried some double sided tape and that didn't work. What about Shoo goo?

Also, I sell shoes once I get bored with them so I don't want to mess up the nice logo on the heel pad area. Thanks.

14. brooklyn

brooklyn Senior member

[​IMG]
    These are a pair of factory seconds suede amoks from allen edmonds. It looked like there was a red pen mark that they tried to clean and left a spot. I was able to remove most of the pen mark with a q-tip and some alcohol but made the spot even lighter. Was using alcohol a bad idea?

15. patrickBOOTH

In general high alkalinity things will darken leather. Soap, up some castile soap and dab it at your own risk...

16. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

17. Munky

Munky Senior member

Sorry, guys, I was wrong on the objectivity issue. All the best, Munky.

18. fire2368

fire2368 New Member

I can't seem to find an answer to something, what are the downsides (and upsides) to using shoe trees that have plastic handles heels (but cedar split toe), heels that are wooden "tubes" (not sure what theyre called) and full heel in cedar.

I got a good price on those plastic handle ones, not sure whether i should jump on those.

Thanks in advance!

19. Joshua Lee

Joshua Lee Senior member

edit

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  20. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

Objectively...we shall see in a few years which pair has held up better...G&G vs. StC....