• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Since mymil did such a good job on his post about the care of his cordovan shell boots, and because some members have asked me to post my shoe care process, I decided to take a few pictures and post my process.

First let me state that I have over 60 pair of dress shoes (lace-up and loafers) in my collection, so I don’t wear the same pair of shoes very frequently (although some shoes more than others). Here is an example of some of the shoes I have worn recently (for examples of polishing results):

Because of the number of shoes I have I try to have a consistent process I can rely on to keep them in good shape. This system is basically cleaning, conditioning and polishing a different pair of shoes on average about once a week. Of course there are times where a month goes by without my doing this, and there are weeks where I might do the process to half a dozen pair that week.

Each day before I put on a pair of dress shoes I inspect the shoe for any scuffs, and the do a quick brush of the shoes before I put them on. If the toe cap or heel counter have a spit shine I might run a moist folded cotton round across the surface gently to remove any dust. I typically do not put shoes with obvious scuffs back into rotation until they have gone through the cleaning, conditioning, polishing process.

Now to the process:

First of all I try to have all of the tools and polishes I need to do the job before I start:

I store all of my polishes in boxes. I use a shoe care box (with the shoe rest mounted on top) for my paste polishes, and I use an old humidifier for my cream polishes.

I use a cotton round, folded in quarters, to apply polish (both cream and paste):

I use a spray bottle with a fine mist for getting the folded cotton round moist, rather than dipping it in water.

I use a soft cotton cloth to apply the leather cleaner, and a separate cotton cloth to apply the leather conditioner.

I use a standard size horse hair brush for brushing the shoe. And, even though I have horse hair daubers I rarely use them for applying polish.

I start the process by selecting a pair of shoes that have not been cleaned, conditioned and polished for a while. For this post I decided to select an older pair of Johnston and Murphy ankle boots, mostly to show that you don’t have to have an expensive pair of shoes to get a good spit shine.

The first step is to clean the shoes. I use Lexol leather cleaner and a soft cotton cloth to do this. If I feel there is too much of a wax build up I might start with a linen cloth because of its courser texture (you can damage the leather surface if you are too aggressive/hard with this process). The cloth should be damp and raise just a slight foam when scrubbing the shoe. Go over the shoe once more with a moist cloth when you are done to remove any residual cleaner or foam.

For the sake of this process I define “damp” as the cloth being wet through the fabric, but not so much that you could wring out any water. I define “moist” as just the surface of the cloth having a slight amount of water on it.

Cleaning each shoe takes about 2 to 4 minutes, depending on the amount of dirt and/or wax build up. Once I have cleaned the shoes I let them sit for about an hour to dry.

After the hour of waiting for the shoes to dry I then move on to the next step which is conditioning the shoes. Some people may want to wait longer for the shoes to dry (like overnight) which is fine, but I usually don’t get the shoes that wet, and I don’t mind starting the conditioning process while the shoes are still slightly moist.

To apply the leather conditioner I use a soft cotton cloth and apply slightly less than a half teaspoon (about 2mL) to the upper of each shoe (including the tongue). I do this by putting a little conditioner on the cloth and rubbing it into an area of the shoe gently until it is mostly gone and then adding some more to the cloth and doing another area of the shoe, until the shoe is fully covered, and then I do the other shoe. Conditioning each shoe takes about 4 minutes. I usually do this in the evening while watching something on TV and an apron in my lap.

Once this is done I let the shoes sit overnight:

The next evening I start the polishing process. I take a folded cotton round and spray it to get it moist. I then dab the folded cotton round into the cream polish color of choice gently (I chose Mahogany to add a little red tint to the color). When I load the folded cotton round “applicator” I am carful to dap it in the cream just enough to cover the front of the applicator. This is where most beginners get it wrong, by adding too much polish to their applicator to begin with.

You want to put a thin coat of cream polish on the shoe to begin with. I usually moisten the applicator and dab it about 4 times per shoe (heel and inside quarter, heel and outside quarter, vamp/tongue, and toe).

Once I have the cream polish applied to both shoes I go back to the first shoe and begin to brush shine the shoe. Start with slow long strokes to draw the wax in the polish across the shoe, using diagonal, horizontal, vertical strokes. You should be pushing through the stroke with only about 50% of the pressure going down toward the shoe and the other 50% in the brushing direction. You don’t need to push too hard down on the shoe.

Once the brush strokes seem to have less drag (from the wax) begin using shorter and faster strokes to allow the bristle friction to warm up the wax. Use about 40% down pressure and 60% through pressure. Keep doing this around the shoe, then change the ratio to 30% down and 70% through. This brushing process should take no less than 4 minutes per shoe (more time is better).

This may seem pretty specific, but most people that have been shining their shoes for some time just do this by instinct, and don’t realize that it is not always obvious to the inexperienced.

I would have to say that after too much polish and too much water that not enough brushing is third mistake made by the inexperienced.

After the first coat of cream has been applied and brushed, repeat the process a second time:

First cream coat brushed:

Second cream coat brushed:

If all you need is a good brushed polish glow then you are done. I will usually also add a coat of paste polish over the entire upper and give it a good brush shine as well (just because of the higher wax content in the paste):

2 coats of cream, 1 coat of paste, brushed to a glow:

If I am going to add a spit shine (bulling / mirror shine), I then add a second coat of paste polish of a chosen color (I used Brown in this case, for a slight distinction from the vamp).

Because there is more wax in paste than there is in cream you have to use even less paste than cream. For the initial layer where I cover the entire shoe I run the moistened, folded, cotton round “applicator” around the inside perimeter of the paste tin once lightly for enough paste to cover half a shoe, then again for the other half.

To spit shine the toe I take a clean moistened, folded, cotton round and just brush it lightly across just the center of the paste in the tin. You want very little polish at the point, and will almost always get too much until you have a fair amount of practice.

This paste should be applied to the toe of the shoe in large circles at first to cover the entire toe, then make smaller and smaller circles until you begin to see a mirror finish appear. As you are doing this apply less and less pressure to the shoe to the point that you are just gliding to applicator over the surface.

To get a real mirror shine repeat this process with neutral paste twice.

The result:

What I’m wearing today:

I hope this was helpful.

I look forward to trying some of the products Kirby is going to carry.

what a great post, thanks Glenjay!

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Glenjay, for taking the time to post that.

arglist

Reaction score
Guys, following the debate about Renovateur I decided to give Lexol conditioner a try. I live in Europe and Lexol is kind of a niche product.

I ordered one spray bottle from a car accessories shop. When it came I was somewhat surprised by the slightly rancid smell. It does not small bad but ever so slightly rancid, like nuts that are past their expriy date. I tried it on a pair of shoes and the smell disappeared within a few hours.

To be sure I ordered another bottle at a different shop. It smells the same.

I know this is difficult, but could anybody try to describe the scent of Lexol?

Thank you so much for any help!

Florian

emiristol

Reaction score
just received my new JL chukkas from leather soul, and noticed that the inner side of both shoe's quarters seem to be slightly deformed by the shoe trees that've been stored there. is this an issue? should i return the shoes?

edit: i tried putting in other shoe trees, with the same result--it seems that the shape of normal shoe trees inevitably cause some pulling

Last edited:

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, following the debate about Renovateur I decided to give Lexol conditioner a try. I live in Europe and Lexol is kind of a niche product.

I ordered one spray bottle from a car accessories shop. When it came I was somewhat surprised by the slightly rancid smell. It does not small bad but ever so slightly rancid, like nuts that are past their expriy date. I tried it on a pair of shoes and the smell disappeared within a few hours.

To be sure I ordered another bottle at a different shop. It smells the same.

I know this is difficult, but could anybody try to describe the scent of Lexol?

Thank you so much for any help!

Florian

It's hard to describe the scent, but I don't find it 'rancid.' It smells very oily- like a blend of olive oil and mustard oil.
I tried to pop open the bottle and it squeezed a bit of conditioner on my hand. That's all I can smell now, haha.

Last edited:

adam-r8

Reaction score
Glenjays post.....
worship2.gif

Saved for future reference!

I have searched the thread and not quite come up with an answer to my question:

I purchased a pair of oxfords that have been polished with oxblood from a mid/dark brown and there is slight flaking of the polish. Is this a natural thing that will be resolved once adding conditioner and going through the process outlined by Glenjay? My worry is that this will carry on even after that and could it be the quality of polish used (Kiwi Paste)?

JermynStreet

Reaction score

Glenjays post.....:worship2:
Saved for future reference! 

I have searched the thread and not quite come up with an answer to my question:

I purchased a pair of oxfords that have been polished with oxblood from a mid/dark brown and there is slight flaking of the polish.  Is this a natural thing that will be resolved once adding conditioner and going through the process outlined by Glenjay?  My worry is that this will carry on even after that and could it be the quality of polish used (Kiwi Paste)?

What type of shoes and what type of leather? Could be corrected grain's reckoning.

jasonmx3

Reaction score
Cross-posting this here since I didn't get any reply at the AE thread:

Would attaching a slightly thicker heel sole affect the shoe (other than making the heel slightly higher)? I am thinking of having the heels of my leather pairs (AE, etc.) replaced when they get worn-out (I wear out heels really quickly), and I would prefer using the J. Rendendach toplifts as I have them on my other pairs and they are really durable.

My concern is the JR heel soles are thicker by about 2mm (less than 1/10th of an inch) when compared to the original heel soles. Would that have any affect on the shoes at all?

These are the ones I'm referring to:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where can you buy those???

It will affect the toe spring and the fit ever so slightly. But I wouldn't worry about that. Not a big deal as far as I am concerned. And AE uses metal shaft so the spine should hold up okay.

jasonmx3

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm not really sure where to get them, but my local cobbler (in Japan) has them and provides the option of having the JR heels installed.

Also, I originally thought AEs do not have a metal spine, but I could be wrong.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Where can you buy those???

It will affect the toe spring and the fit ever so slightly. But I wouldn't worry about that. Not a big deal as far as I am concerned. And AE uses metal shaft so the spine should hold up okay.

yeah, adding one lift wont' affect it much.

jasonmx3

Reaction score
^^Thanks for the feedback, guys. That confirms my earlier suspicions.

ragnr

Reaction score
I threw a party for my class two days ago, someone dropped a beer in my CJ without letting me now. Found out this morning when the left shoe was damp and the shoetrees where placed in the wrong shoe.

Watermarks all over the shoe, lining has now some bad stains.

So my left shoe have been soaked in beer for 48 hours. What to do?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads