1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Munky

Munky Senior member

The shoes that I was referring to are calf leather. They do seem to be benefit from brushing rather than regular polishing.

It strikes me that shoe product makers certainly have a vested interest in promoting the idea that we should spend most of our lives polishing shoes.

I have lots of jars and tins of creams, waxes and conditioners, as I imagine many people on this thread have. I'm finding, though, that the most useful products are my horsehair shoe brushes.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  2. chogall

chogall Senior member

Different types of calf leather needs different type of care, as I indicated above.

1 person likes this.
  3. Munky

Munky Senior member

I can't elaborate any further, Chogall. My two pairs of calf leather shoes are Loake's 1880s and they are described as 'calf leather'. [​IMG] They do seem to benefit from less polishing and more brushing. They aren't corrected grain.

4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Calf, is calf. Chogall is talking about how the calf is finished.

1 person likes this.
  5. Munky

Munky Senior member

sorry, mistake.

6. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

I personally have found no value in this and use the same brush for reno/cream/polish in black/brown/whatever other shade. I wouldn't mind a bit of mixing if it did take place but don't think that any actually occurs.

1 person likes this.
  7. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

Sorry to thread jack but who makes these lovely shoes?

I tried scanning for an answer with no luck.

8. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

I have one brush that I use for all color shoes...and I find that over time it gives the shoe an interesting patina that is truly unique only to my shoes...

I use this same brush to brush my shoes after I remove them from my feet at the end of the day.

9. chogall

chogall Senior member

Looks Vass to me. Cordovan. New Peter?

10. sstomcat

sstomcat Senior member

11. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Senior member

Am I the only one that thinks those shined shoes look hideous? Both the shoe and the shine.

12. goodlensboy

goodlensboy Senior member

How about St. Crispin - the leather looks bit dry in some pics

13. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Yep, those are beautiful. BTW, acting like a jerk is looked down upon until you reach 5k+ posts.

14. chogall

chogall Senior member

Depends on the leather, if its FUN, CRU, or VNA. But the general rule is if the leather has no top coat, it will appear to be more dry.

Easiest way to tell if leather is finished is by dripping water on the shoes; if the water was absorbed into the leather and caused color to darken, then it has little or no top coat. Otherwise its finished with a top coat.

4 people like this.
  15. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Is it necessary to use both lexol and saphir cordovan cream on the shells?

16. NickInTO

NickInTO Senior member

A bit of a different question - I searched the thread and didn't see an answer.

I like riding my bike to work in the spring/summer. Would wearing a pair of galoshes or something protect the soles of my shoes, or would I still crease, or otherwise damage, the uppers? I feel like I know the answer - that I would be better off carrying my shoes in a bag and changing when I get to work.

Any insight would be appreciated.

17. goodlensboy

goodlensboy Senior member

Thanks, that's easy to test! Dunno what FUN and VNA mean... any link where the terms are explained

18. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

No, just cordovan cream should be fine.

It is Saint Crispin's terminology for the types of leather they use. FUN is a crust calf that is softer, a bit grainier, and naturally a bit shinier. VNA is a calf that comes dyed from the tannery, it is a harder calf, very deep in color and shines up very glossy. CRU is a calf that is in between in hardness of FUN and VNA a crust leather like FUN but not as naturally shiney looking as FUN. It will look somewhat more matte in areas that don't get a high wax shine.

I agree with chogall. People confuse a leather being dry with what it looks like and that's not necessarily true. People generally see a shiny shoe and think it's hydrated, well, no it just means there's wax on it. To repeat what chogall said, it depends on the topcoat.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  19. hayaoyamaneko

hayaoyamaneko Senior member

I know next to nothing about shoe care. Picked these up from someone else - are they in rough shape? How can I bring them back to life?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

they're in pretty rough shape...looks like shoe trees were never used

creasing is pretty bad...especially in places where it shouldn't be

edit...

put shoe trees in them...brush really thoroughly with a horsehair brush...and give them a good polishing with some dark brown wax paste...

not sure there is much more that can be done for them...

creasing won't improve...

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014