• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kwhunter

Reaction score
What are your results on the car seats? I put in in my X5 when new but that is a much harder leather. The M3 has baby soft leather and I'm a little hesitant to liberally apply. I too have a liter from Amazon.

I used it too on the car seats, works very well; however, I prefer Gliptone's liquid leather that has also a fresh leather scent. On the shoes, however, not that well; I tested it on a pair but could not get a proper shine and it leaves a sticky residue in the creases.
So I see no advantages in using Lexol on the shoes albeit some sweat by it.

green garden

Reaction score
Look at the Leather quality and care thread. A lot of chemistry and people who know a lot about leather and the industry generally say to avoid it.
I'd personally ignore it. If you use renomat to rid it then it will be a chore to biuld the finish back up. Not worth it, imo. I'd have more of an issue with the dick and balls medallion.

Interesting. I thought Horween recommends using VSC on their shells and CXLs.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They do and I kindly disagree with it. Also note they use just a touch of it to get a shine on it before it goes out the door. That's it. They don't use it has a conditioning agent. I would honestly substitute Renovateur in place of VSC if you want to use that type of product on shell to get a shine. Honestly, Saphir Cordovan cream is probably better than all of them because there is neatsfoot oil in it, however it won't shine up as much because it seems there is a lower beeswax content in it, and more oils inherently inhibit shine.

If you want to retain the oillyness of some CXL's and Shell I would use the cordovan cream. I personally use Lexol on everything for conditioning at the moment, but I will be trying out GlenKaren products at some point, which seem to have a lot of logic and science behind them. I only use Wax on the toe and heels, and for shell infrequently a touch of cordovan cream on the vamp over the Lexol, and regular shoe cream on the vamp of calf very infrequently over the Lexol. Again, I will be trying out GlenKaren products as part of this routine as well.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How are y'all applying Saphir Renovator?

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I applied it with ******* for a while but I found it left a smeary finish and my wife complained about the smell

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
This all sheds new light on licking soles.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

My girlfriend actually comments often how Renovateur smells like cat piss.

Reev suddenly has an idea for a new thread on cutting shoe care costs.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cross post from vass thread:

Is it a concern to have closed lacing on brand new shoes (can tighten laces all the way until no gap)?

Also, is some heel slip with new shoes normal due to not being broken in, or should it be be a concern?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would say if you have both of those issues simultaneously they are probably slightly too large.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads