**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. chogall

chogall Senior member

Or, you could always make additions to your shoe trees at the stress areas with soft tissue paper and secure with masking tapes.

I am experimenting adding sheet cork to shoe trees, last making style. So far not too much success. Need to try different cement and sand paper.

2. joiji

joiji Senior member

3. chogall

chogall Senior member

I would but I am stuck at making cork adhere to trees. Obviously I am underestimating. [​IMG]

4. wurger

wurger Senior member

Renovateur is one of the best conditioners out there, I apply reno about every 4 wears.

5. joiji

joiji Senior member

What are you using for glue? You should be using a contact cement, or a proper barge cement if you can find it. Apply to both surfaces and wait for it to go tacky, then bond them together. using a hammer or soft mallet to hammer them together should create a stronger bond, also.

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I use reno in my hair regularly.

7. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

My jar is always on top of my tissue box.

8. apillai

apillai New Member

This is the first post here. I bought this AE loafers last week on eBay and when I received it had these stains. Not sure what caused it, I am thinking water damage. Is this fixable, otherwise I would like to send the shoe back to the seller.

If its covered in a previous please point me to that.

Thanks for your help. [​IMG]

9. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    Did the outside of the box show water damage? If so, then the seller may have insured the package. If UPS, then there is an automatic insurance of up to $200. If US Postage, the seller would have to purchase insurance for an extra dollar or two.

If the outside of the box does not show water damage, then compare the eBay photos from the online listing with what you received (the photo I see). In this case you would want to communicate with the seller to see if they can offer a refund or a return. And also, it depends on how long ago you received the shoes. If you have waited too many days, then the seller can claim you did the damage.

Let me know if I can further help.

David

10. sagitar

sagitar Well-Known Member

Its been about a week. The box is clean and only one shoe seems to be damaged. I can definitely return it but I am trying to see whether this is fixable, as I paid $20 including shipping.

11. David Copeland

have you just received a new pair of shoes?

Here is an excellent video, of which the first part is titled PRE-MAINTENANCE:

12. David Copeland

Most of the consistent daily posters in this topic lead towards products other than Saphir, but I would guess that the majority of Style Forum members lean toward Saphir. There are arguments on both sides, and the best answer may be for you to try out both (perhaps Saphir first).

[​IMG]
    MEN'S EX MAGAZINE

As for magazines, MEN'S EX offered a full color spread on Saphir products.

[​IMG]
    ESQUIRE MAGAZINE

And it was Esquire Magazine's article, among others, that convinced me to try Saphir products.

If you wish to review the 3, 4, and 5 step process of how to maintain shoes using the Saphir Products, here are a couple of retail links that are helpful:

LINK ONE

LINK TWO

All my best,

David

13. David Copeland

What is the link (or the eBay Item Number) to the original eBay listing so that I can take a look at the photos and text that was represented. Many time the shipping can be refunded if the "item was not as described"

David

14. David Copeland

Absolutely.

As it turns out, most of the AE shoes and boots out of the box are a matte shine, which I like because it gives more of a natural new-look to it than a look that looks more fabricated after purchase.

When I purchased my Long Branch boots from Nordstroms, they gave me a free professional shine (Nordstrom department stores have the shoe shine stands) and I asked for a little bit of a tune up. The results was this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Long Branch is regular cow hide and not calfskin, but as sample photos show below - they look great when worn with denims like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  15. sagitar

sagitar Well-Known Member

David,

Thanks for the offer. I do sell on eBay and my partner bought this shoe to flip because it was cheap. I can definitely return it but I am wondering whether these stains could be removed and the shoe could be restored.