• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

T Reven

Reaction score
Hello

I have tried to search for this, but the input seems fragmented, so I will try here, as I am convinced that there must be many more who are wondering the exact same thing.

When receiving a brand new pair of shoes, what are the mandatory steps one must take to ensure durability and and prolonged good looks of the shoe? Nothing fancy, like mirror shine, just the recommended care before starting to use the shoes?

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello

I have tried to search for this, but the input seems fragmented, so I will try here, as I am convinced that there must be many more who are wondering the exact same thing.

When receiving a brand new pair of shoes, what are the mandatory steps one must take to ensure durability and and prolonged good looks of the shoe? Nothing fancy, like mirror shine, just the recommended care before starting to use the shoes?

There are no mandatory steps for new shoes, as they are supposed to be RTW, especially you don't mind not having certain shines; and a bit of common sense shoe care which is covered many time on this thread after every few wearings, will do the job.

davidwarne

Reaction score
Really its nice thread. Great start from this thread. I like your sharing picture. I will also use your tips.
Thanks...........

Last edited:

davidwarne

Reaction score
I will also a sharing some photos of shoes collection after using your steps

Last edited:

David Copeland

Reaction score
When receiving a brand new pair of shoes, what are the mandatory steps one must take to ensure durability and and prolonged good looks of the shoe? Nothing fancy, like mirror shine, just the recommended care before starting to use the shoes?
Although new shoes are meant to be worn out of the box, many of us have chosen to add:

Color Cream Polish
Brush lightly
Color Wax
Brush Lightly
Balming Cream
Brush Lightly

Above all, enjoy them!

David

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I used my feet to stretch them. I found I needed to repeat the process a couple of times. Saphire suggest

- Shake well before using and spray downwards generously, onto and inside the shoe. Afterwards, walk normally and repeat if necessary.
I'm not sure how thick the 'liners and stiffeners' are. I used the product on fairly heavy brogues.

Interesting. Time to check with Ron Rider to see if they are imported to the US.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
To impart max color onto the shoe from the shoe cream should I go straight to cream and skip Reno? (So all the moisture is soaked in from the cream and not the Reno)

B-Rogue

Reaction score
Although new shoes are meant to be worn out of the box, many of us have chosen to add:

Color Cream Polish
Brush lightly
Color Wax
Brush Lightly
Balming Cream
Brush Lightly

Above all, enjoy them!

David

One can skip the wax if they are happy with a softer shine.

Can i ask is there a consensus on a decent conditioner nowadays? I remember quite a few pages ago there was a big argument whether Renomat was good or bad for your shoes.

B-Rogue

Reaction score
Ben, before I used Saphir products I used ones made by Woly. I have just found an old jar of Woly cream and I am pretty certain it doesn't contain turpentine. It smells of coconut. It may account for why did not have any symptoms when I used the Woly cream.

Patrick, yes I could use Meltonian - although it is not so widely available in the UK.

I have just ordered a jar of the Collonil super de luxe creme, so I will use that up before making any further changes. I might use up the Woly cream as well. Thanks to you both for your help.

Does Collonil Super de luxe creme contain any turpentine? How does it compare to Saphir?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

One can skip the wax if they are happy with a softer shine.

Can i ask is there a consensus on a decent conditioner nowadays? I remember quite a few pages ago there was a big argument whether Renomat was good or bad for your shoes.
The argument was whether renovateur is good solely as a conditioner, not renomat being bad for your shoes.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does Collonil Super de luxe creme contain any turpentine? How does it compare to Saphir?

Don't know, but according to Men's Ex, it's superior to Saphir cream in terms of conditioning and penetration.

The argument was whether renovateur is good solely as a conditioner, not renomat being bad for your shoes.

+1.

Last edited:

B-Rogue

Reaction score

Yes indeed. My apologies. I seem to have mixed the names by mistake.
shog[1].gif
What was the conclusion of that argument? Is Renovateur a good conditioner?

I still am not clear regarding how often Renovateur should be used and whether it needs to be used less if you apply only cream to your shoes (as opposed to wax polish)?

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes indeed. My apologies. I seem to have mixed the names by mistake.
shog%5B1%5D.gif
What was the conclusion of that argument? Is Renovateur a good conditioner?

I still am not clear regarding how often Renovateur should be used and whether it needs to be used less if you apply only cream to your shoes (as opposed to wax polish)?

the conclusion is there are forum venders that sells renovateur.

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A trick to help with stretching shoes that have lasted trees. I learned from Nick A@Bespoke.
  1. Create a cardboard insole, roughly the shape of the current insole.
  2. Spray the interior of the shoe to be with shoe stretching spray or go au natural
  3. Insert the trees and the tension will stretch the shoes
This is a slow process and you can add additional inserts for more stretching.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads