**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. cathpah

cathpah Senior member

Ugh...that's sorta my fear. I didn't have to scrub hard at all with the saddle soap to get the scuff off, so I'm surprised that that's the case.

I wonder if I can conceal this issue with any sort of polish or other product. Anyone? I *love* the color of these boots, and they've been discontinued for a couple years.

2. Munky

Munky Senior member

Just a quickie. I understand the need for shoes that have been worn to have a period of 'resting' before they are worn again. My question is this: how soon after taking off a pair of shoes should you think about polishing them? I realise that this is not an exact science, but I would appreciate some thoughts on this.

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I would think it beneficial to condition them right after wearing. My idea is that they are still warm from your feet and wear and that can help remove some wax build-up and aid in penetration of the conditioning oils.

4. benhour

benhour Senior member

hahaha yes but consider that i am doing this for a long long time and this is not my first attemp!
    thank you very much
    thank you glenjay!!

thanks for your kinde words

5. benhour

benhour Senior member

yes in a closer look at the photo!! (zoom in a lot) it looks like more as a drink stain!!( cola-wine-wisky something like that) !! +1 to process !! you can try after renomat a leather soap to see if it can go away!!
    http://www.valmour.com/cleaning-products/stain-remover-hussard-spray-leather-and-textiles,220
    i had the same problem once in the past with an oily cream and i used an oil degreaser and the spots have gone!! you can use this product or some other oil degreaser cleaner(maybe colorless cleaning dish soape it is really efective)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013

6. Munky

Munky Senior member

Thanks for your reply on when to condition shoes after wearing, Patrick.

7. benhour

benhour Senior member

yes heat ll help but on the other hand i am thinking that if you wear them they ll get wet for perspiration and as water is oleofobic that wont help oils to penetrate!!mmmm mistery!! i useally condition them when they are completelly dry!most of the time before wearing! but i really dont know if that makes any diference!! [​IMG]

8. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Bumping this to see if anyone can provide any input/assistance. I tried only Reno and it didn't do anything for the spot.

9. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

i will order renomatt this week. thanks for your advice glenjay.
    i have leather soap and will give it a try. thanks for the advice benhour.

10. benhour

benhour Senior member

i dont have a lot experience on shell !! the only thing i can recommend is (as MrRider said in the past) use renomat to clean the surface and then aplay a cordovan cream !!
    i would recommend use the collor matching the stain or a darker one and aplay!! i think this ll cover up the stain!!
    hope i helped a little bit

11. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Thanks benhour. I'm still afraid of renomat as I've never used it but it might come to that. Maybe I'll try some cream as you suggest first before I try renomat. Much appreciate the input.

12. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

how long do you guys wait between coating/brushing for shoe cream/wax and buffing with a brush? and how many coats do you typically put?

13. pazzion

pazzion Senior member

Thank you for your kind words. I assumed that the general consensus on this board (or at least in this thread) was to appreciate the work and time it takes. Of course the time I invested is directly reflecting my inexperience, but how is one otherwise supposed to learn?

Thank you again.

14. jasonmx3

jasonmx3 Senior member

Can anyone please tell me if this kind of rubber toe tap will affect the integrity of the shoe. It seems that the cobbler would need to cut the stitching at the front of the shoe to put these taps on since it is flush with the sole (pictures follow):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He also does screwed-on metal toe taps, but the rubber ones seem more discrete and gives added traction.

[​IMG]

Lastly, would it still be possible to have the shoes re-crafted (say, by AE) if I have the rubber taps done?

Thanks!

15. wurger

wurger Senior member

Toe caps will not affect the integrity of the sole, but some brands will not recraft the shoe if it's been modified like that, I think.