**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. madridista

madridista Well-Known Member

Hello Gents,

I purchased a Meermin dark brown double monk. Somehow, I managed to get scratch/scuff mark on the front of the shoe. [​IMG]
    As you can see, the white color beneath is visible. What do the experts here recommend I do? I have Saphir Renovateur. What do you recommend I should get ? Saphir Pate De Luxe or Saphir Médaille d'Or Pommadier (1925) in either Mahogany or dark brown?

Thank you!

2. Munky

Munky Senior member

Too late! A Fine Pair of Shoes has run out of 'Boot Black' wax polish!

3. Ducc

Ducc Member

Thank you for your advice! It's calming to hear from someone that seems to know what they're doing. As soon as the stuff gets here, I'll give it a go.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013

4. MiguelSF

MiguelSF Member

Benhour, that was a 15 minute job, so after spending another 20 minutes bulling the toe cap, it's pretty damn close to a mirror finish now. Thanks for your comments though.

I'm still learning and whilst Kiwi isn't the most "premium" brand out there, they've been around for decades and I'm happy with their products.

5. wurger

wurger Senior member

The top end of Shoemakers line are actually full grain, their comfort range, and are priced accordingly.

On the site, you can search by leather type.

6. thecooldude33

thecooldude33 Active Member

Can anyone help me with this weird "dull" spot I have on one of my Cliftons? I don't know if it's just excess wax or the leather is just bad or something on that spot (they are factory seconds). I tried using the Allen Edmonds Cleaner/Conditioner to get most of the wax off and then attempted to reapply polish and wax, but the spot is just stubborn. Maybe my polishing cloths are too dirty or something. Anyways, I apologize for the crappy pics, I didn't have good lighting, but you can make out the weird looking spot on the toe cap...maybe I need to order some renomat or renovateur? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. chogall

chogall Senior member

8. Munky

Munky Senior member

Quote: The top end of Shoemakers line are actually full grain, their comfort range, and are priced accordingly.

On the site, you can search by leather type.

Yes, you are right, wurger. Thanks a lot.

9. Munky

Munky Senior member

On closer examination, all of the top ends of Loake's shoe ranges - except the Indian made Li range, are made of calf leather. The 1880 range are all made of calf.

10. pazzion

pazzion Senior member

Hi,

I tried getting that magic mirror shine this weekend. It was my first try and I used an old pillow case, Saphir Pate de Luxe and water. They have become pretty shiny and reflective, but I don't seem to be able to get it any better than this. Any tips?

I used a really light touch in the end and only super thin layers with one to two drops of water for each dab of wax. If two drops I would swirl in the wax and first drop, and if the wax was still a bit cloudy and not as smooth as I'd like I would add another drop of water and work that in until clear to the eye and smooth to the touch.

Any secrets to be learned?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013

11. benhour

benhour Senior member

i am not referring on kiwi brand! i am referring on Parade gloss specifically !! Parade gloss has silicone!! this product is develop to give a good -easy spit shine or mirror shine (i think their first priority was armed forces when they developed it) but silicone is not good for shoes in time depth!![​IMG]

12. benhour

benhour Senior member

as far as i can see this is a really good outcome for the first try!!! really good job!!

some little tips!! first of all you ll need a better cloth!! try a microfiber cotton cloth(selvit or sunglasses cloth) !! Mr Rider recommends an old tie too!! Generally a cloth with smouth and soft surface

keep puttuing drops of water till you see the surface going clear and smouth!!Blow while you are doing circles(for me it is helping a lot)!!
    try the last buff with a tiny amount of cream polish(2-3 pinheads for the entire toe)!! cream has a lot les solvents than paste(wax) polish so it wont desolve previous layers!!

finally as you go with the layers put less and les presure after its coate!! hope this ll help you

13. Cunrad

Cunrad Senior member

Would you please tell us a bit more about appropriate care for exotic leathers. Can you recommend a specific product or brand for this?

Can anyone else add his expertise?

14. Cunrad

Cunrad Senior member

Double post

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013

15. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

Saphir Reptan.......conditioning cream for exotics. Wipe on, wait, brush.