• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your comments on shoe trees, gents. The Loake shoe trees I bought (directly from Loakes) are split and sprung down the middle and have a small, curved handle.
Thanks, again, Munky.

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Talkin' about Venetian Creams....

They have Black and Med.Brown(actually closer to Color 8) available in Japan. Not sure if they have these back in the states...

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Three hot days in a row - almost unheard of here in Wales. I will be in Crocs tomorrow.
lol8[1].gif

aglose

Reaction score

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have read cream first then wax... Cream has more pigments in it and penetrates better, wax kind of just sits on the top.

Yeah but benhour's suggestion makes sense because you may want to change your mind.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just don't mind getting soles wet and having them replaced. I also think topy's are ugly. I have said this in the past, but I hate when I am walking behind an otherwise well dressed person and I see topy's or rubber on the bottom of their shoes. It just looks wrong to me. Too fuddy-duddy, and doesn't have that classic look of scuffed shoe bottoms. I don't know.

I doubt I've ever noticed the bottom of another man's shoes.

Dainite soles rule in wet and slippery conditions, they start out better than leather, and they also get a nap that improves traction (as you mentioned regarding leather soles) and unless you are up close and personal, or you are going for the sleek Blake construction look there is no aesthetic penalty.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't get Venetian. It dosen't seem to penetrate (condition) . The shine is too hard imo. It reeks of vocs . I know Horween likes it so maybe its just me

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Talkin' about Venetian Creams....

They have Black and Med.Brown(actually closer to Color 8) available in Japan. Not sure if they have these back in the states...

Interesting... never seen these...

Not Alden's, no....but here is before/during/after Renomat of one of my boots in Whiskey Shell:

All it did was take off a little of the top coat, no color. But, we don't add/use much product in the factory, and I think Alden does kick them up a bit, so best to try on the heel cover or something first.

Thank Ron, not sure if this is trade secret but what type of additive finish is placed on Horween's whiskey (like Alden's super secret shinny finish)? Just got a pair of AS shoes in Whiskey but they seem like they don't have any coating and scratch pretty easily (although cream and brushing takes care of it)...

David Copeland

Reaction score
Quote:
For me, I use the Saphir "Light Brown #3". But I also have other shoes which are a different shade.

For an online Color Guide: CLICK HERE

You may also wish to invest in the following full color guide when ordering (just place the hole over the shoe to see which is the match):

deburn

Reaction score
Hi guys, I just got this pair of Florsheim shell cordovan shoes off eBay. They're in great condition and I'm following the Mac method. However, I do have a question about the these stains

I do have Venetian Shoe Cream on order, but it will take a few days to get here and I'd like to wear them on Monday :D The only other thing I have that is somewhat close to VSC is AE Conditioner/Cleaner and Meltonian Shoe Balm.

Will either of these help to remove those stains? Will the VSC work or do I need something else?

Thanks!

PS: I did read most of this humongous thread, quite recently, but that was before I had any plans to get shell cordovan and so I skipped those parts of the thread and don't have the energy to go back and read the whole thread!

VegTan

Reaction score

Anyway, I have two questions: first, how can I remove this light stain, and second, how can I prevent it from happening again? How can I water-resist this leather?

Didn't Saphir Medium Brown work out well for the color fading?

EDIT: wurger posted some advice which helps a great deal. The stain is still there, but I've noticed that of all the water drops that showed up, the one in the picture (the largest one) is the only one which didn't dry up and go away. It's also the only one I actively wiped, which I think may have taken some polish off?

Perhaps, if you rub hard. Here is a demonstration of rubbing Handgrade burnished calf with water, acetone, and a kind of solvent.

http://www.newsaboutshoes.de/showthread.php?s=6cc0a2bd3daf7db5a80d9e888500b29c&p=14731#post14731
cimg3102t.jpg

Ducc

Reaction score

Didn't Saphir Medium Brown work out well for the color fading?

I haven't tried yet, because I ran out of Renovateur. Last time I polished, I had difficulty getting the creme evenly distributed, and my solution was to use Renovateur to smooth it out. I suspect I'm polishing these shoes wrong, but the medium brown is much darker than the shoes; I got it because I want to darken the shoe a bit. I bought a brush that I hope helps apply it better, but it hasn't come yet.

My fear is that the water took color out of the leather (not just off the top), and that re-application of polish will darken both the stain and the non-stain, causing everything to just get darker without removing the actual stain texture. I've seen recommendations that say to use water to essentially stain the entire shoe, to smooth out the texture, and then re-polish the whole shoe. But that seems like I could be making things worse.

Perhaps, if you rub hard. Here is a demonstration of rubbing Handgrade burnished calf with water, acetone, and a kind of solvent.

Yeah, that's very similar to what I'm seeing. It's possible that water softens the layer of polish, making it easier to wipe off. But if that's true, then applying Renovateur all over the area should do the same thing, and smooth the polish out. The whole situation seems odd to me, because these cremes are basically waxes and oils; how is water having an effect at all?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads