1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. SWRT

SWRT Active Member

Ok, guys. I have a question. I got these Cole Haan Major Deegan's on ebay for cheap
    because they were pretty dried out and not in good shape at all. I mainly just wanted
    to use them as practice for stuff since I ended up selling my other set of shoes that
    I had bought with the intention of practicing on them. Now I started with Lexol leather
    cleaner and this is the aftermath. I waited two hours to let them get nice and dry again
    and threw some Lexol conditioner on them and they turned out pretty decent. They looked
    like a work boot when I got them and I have no intention of ever getting them re-soled or
    anything so I plan to run them into the ground so I'm not concerned with longevity.

I have three questions:

First: Is it possible to get the darkness off of that toe without using Renomat?
    I'd like to be able to find something more easily accessible to use on them since
    Lexol didnt do a whole lot to clean them.

Secondly, will it over-condition them if I put on Renovateur now? (Two days later)
    I dont want it to become "too soft". I just want the subtle shine and conditioning
    that Reno provides.

Lastly, should I use anything on the sole edge and bottom? Dubbin? They look pretty dry.

(Before the conditioner was applied)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  2. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Senior member

3. CalzolaiFeF

CalzolaiFeF Well-Known Member

1) You can try with nail polish remover or, if you feel brave, pure acetone. French patina artist use some kind of stain detacher called Eau Ecarlate, but I don't know what it is.

2) Touch them. If they feel dry, apply a second (light) coat. If not, don't [​IMG]

3) After a couple of years of trials, I still don't know if sole oil or grease is useful or not... In my experience there is no difference, so I don't know what to say. For the edge, since usually is finished with wax-based paint, I'll be careful; the solvents in the shoe care products sometimes can strip away the finish.

4. SlickTime

SlickTime Active Member

I see now. Thank you!

5. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

You're welcome. :fonz:

6. bcgr33n

bcgr33n Member

thank you for the input.
    here is 2 more pictures of the burn more clearly.

not sure where to get the repair cream. but will try the cognac saphir mdo cream or reno when i fly back home next week.

dont know if theres a better way to cover the spot

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. SWRT

SWRT Active Member

1) Gave it a shot. Looks like it removed a bit of the stuff, but not enough to match
    the rest of the shoe. Was a good effort though.

2) I followed this and man, I'm really glad I did. I figured out how amazing Reno
    can make an old pair of shoes look.

3) Yeah, didnt really look like there was any original paint left. If any, it kind of
    reminded me of one of those old houses with lead paint that's peeling really bad.

Either way, after all's said and done they look 10 years newer. Thanks for the advice :)

1 person likes this.
  8. CalzolaiFeF

CalzolaiFeF Well-Known Member

9. P Hudson

P Hudson Member

Hi guys. After reading thousands of entries on this thread, I can get a pretty decent shine on my calf shoes. The thing that eludes me, however, is a really good shine on my AE cordovan Leeds. I keep hoping for something like post 2036 of this thread, on p. 136. This pair of shoes is reported to be only a couple months old.
    [​IMG]

Compare that to my Leeds. I've had these for over a year, and have brushed them for hundreds of hours. They haven't been worn a lot, but some weekends I'll brush them for several hours. I treated them with Saphir cordo creme early on (because they arrived [new] with a few minor scuffs). Since then, until this weekend, I have basically only brushed them. Today I applied a couple thin layers of Saphir Renovateur--which added a bit of shine. The shoes look like they are in great shape, but they don't have any interesting colour variation, and they aren't taking on much of a shine. All the work I've done only seems to have brought out the imperfections in the cordovan. This picture makes them look a bit shiny, but they don't have any gloss compared to a good polish on my calf shoes.

[​IMG]

Any advice gratefully received.

10. Munky

Munky Senior member

Does anyone here use those little round daubers to put on cream or wax? I would have thought that they put on too much of any given product.

While I am here, can I put in a good word for Collonil Supreme Creme de Luxee? It contains no turpentine and only 'natural' oils.It has virtually no smell. I know it has been mentioned before but I thought it might be useful to those who can't easily get GlenKaren products. Whether or not it is edible is anyone's guess.

11. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

I don't know.....look pretty damned good to me! Shell is a tricky material to work with but here is my normal method:

http://riderboot.com/2012/03/24/shell-cordovan-clean-up/

In addition, I sometimes add a final wipe (very light) of Neats Foot Oil.

12. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

This happens to me often, especially this year with all the snow in the northeast. I'm usually in a hotel during the week and while I don't carry a travel shoe care kit, I always take the time to wipe off the salt and clean out the welt with a damp wash cloth.

13. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

Nick stocks the Repair Cream (http://www.bnelsonshoes.com/) but it seems you have to send a note......don't think he has a ordering site.

http://www.avel.com/product-details-shoe-polish-renovating-cream,40

Color #10 would seem to be the color for these and we have a couple hundred in stock. Any preferred Saphir dealer can have us ship it to you also...they know where to find me.

14. stevent

stevent Senior member

x-post from Alden thread:

15. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

Hey can someone tell me what causes the following issues?
    These are photos of a new pair that were MTO and just arrived. I have only worn them inside briefly to try on and noticed after the first try so I i'm not 100% on if they were already there or showed up after trying on but they appear to varying degrees on both shoes (and on the side photos both sides). Should they be sent back for being defective or did I just order poor quality footwear? (fwiw the leather is supposed to be aacrack baby calf which i asked around here prior to ordering and heard that it was top notch stuff)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also I have noticed that this kind of side ridge has formed on a pair of my Allen Edmonds; but only recently, and they are a year and a half old)

16. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

In my experience, side ridges such as those are a result of your gait.

17. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

As Ron Rider mentioned, shell is tricky. You'll never get the same type of shine on your Leeds that you do on your calf shoes. Calf needs the layer of wax atop the leather to achieve its shine. Shell has an innate shine due to the oils and waxes stuffed into it during the tanning and finishing process. That's not to say you can't bull the toe of your shell shoes to get a mirror shine, I simply think that the beauty of shell is its inherent shine, not a wax shine like calf. Alden adds something during their finishing process that makes them look nicer out of the box than their AE counterparts.

Those are my Leeds in your 1st image. Products like Renovateur and Venetian Shoe cream will add a bit of life to your Leeds but nothing looks better than shell with some wear on them. That's when they get the depth that looks so nice (IMO of course).

For reference, I achieved a decent shine on these shell boots using Saphir Cordovan polish and a bit of kiwi wax. Note, I haven't used that much product on shell since that experiment.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These were treated with Renovatur or VSC just prior to the picture. Shell looks its best like this, IMO. Broken in, some wear, dings, dents, etc., just a small amount of product and a lot of brushing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  18. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Excellent patrick, thanks

19. robkez313

robkez313 Senior member

I bought Saphir Renovateur. Is it enough protection for shoes to use only Renovateur or do i also need to use Saphir Cream Polish on top of Renovateur?
    Shoes are : guidi black, wolverine 1k brown

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  20. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

The shine on those boots is WOWOWOW.