1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Oli2012

Oli2012 Distinguished Member

Question -

If your shoes have no marks or discolouration is it necessary for the health of the shoe to polish them with a shoe cream?

The black Chelseas in my picture are 2 years old now and whilst I wear them frequently its in an office environment so they don't get scuffed etc. I've used saddle dressing on them once every 1-2 months.

2. El Argentino

El Argentino Distinguished Member

Thank you guys for the recommendations and sympathy. I'll give it a go tonight after work and report back with results.

3. VegTan

VegTan Senior Member

It was Regal's patent and the link is http://www.google.com/patents/US2008237

That is P.76 of LAST Vol.6 published by Esquire Japan in 2005. The monks are Cortay's bespoke shoes.

4. chogall

chogall Distinguished Member

Interesting. That's probably not the same LAST magazine, which only has 4 volumes up to now.

5. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

LAST was published by Japanese Esquire as a bi-annual publication in the early-late 2000s. The magazine made it up to vol. 13. Although I have vols. 3-13 in front of me, I cannot read Japanese and can't work-out the publication dates. But if vol 6 was published in 2005, the final issue must have been 2008/09. At this time Esquire withdrew from the Japanese publishing market and publication seized.

Whether the "new" LAST has anything in common with the "old" LAST, I wouldn't know. I have never seen the new one and, as I cannot read Japanese, I have no idea, whether or not members of the former magazine do work for the new one.

6. chogall

chogall Distinguished Member

The new LAST magazine is also a bi annual magazine as well, releasing apr/oct. right now it's issue #4.

7. wurger

wurger Distinguished Member

Excellent find, thank you for sharing with us.

8. VegTan

VegTan Senior Member

Mr.Matsuzaki, who was publisher of Esquire Japan, founded his company around 2005. New Last is published by this company.
    http://www.webchronos.net/

Mr.Sugawara(below) was editor-in-chief of old Last from vol.1 through vol.13, and he is now editor-in-chief of new Last.
    http://openers.jp/fashion/flagship/john_lobb/photo_capitalcollection_party.html
    [​IMG]

wurger, sure thing!

9. phototristan

phototristan Distinguished Member

Interesting video. This guy literally scrapes the shoes with a knife and restores them completely with a deer bone. I don't speak German but I think he is saying no wax or cream is needed:

10. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior Member

I appreciate the video, but I just don't get the whole deer bone thing. Is there any scientific basis for a deer bone "working?" I can speak from experience that when there are nicks on cordovan and calf, the back of a spoon with some polish and wax works just fine. Is deer bone just the cordwainer's version orlf snake oil?

11. El Argentino

El Argentino Distinguished Member

Do not doubt the deer bone.

12. Duxnuts

Duxnuts Active Member

Awesome vid! brb, hunting deer..

13. Munky

Munky Distinguished Member

Do not doubt the dear deer bone, dear.

14. scatterbrain

scatterbrain Senior Member

I think I also have these shoes. I asked about them here:

Dear god, I hope not. I didn't think that BB sells corrected grain. These shoes retail for over $500, although I did get mine for less than half price. Given the maker and price point, I had assumed it was not corrected grain. This is the box they came in, if that helps.
    [​IMG]

15. cbfn

cbfn Distinguished Member

Boned calf is corrected grain. Both pairs are cg.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013