1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. blue collar

blue collar Distinguished Member

:fu: :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu:

This BREAKS MY HEART! I'm sorry to see that Argentino. The best carmina hands down.

I wish I had something to contribute, I but I don't even know where to start. :confused:

2. Duxnuts

Duxnuts Active Member

Looking for some waterproofing for soft leather brown loafers. Can't polish them so something I can spray on without changing the matte finish of the shoe is what I'm after. And I would like to purchase online. Cheers!

3. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Senior Member

Don't wear your nicest shoes to wedding receptions, is the lesson learned and one I already preach.

4. cbfn

cbfn Distinguished Member

5. clee1982

clee1982 Distinguished Member

Leather production has high environmental impact, let's not kid ourselves that tanning is environmental in any way. Also we want nice leather, so correct grain won't do, and from any cow won't do. The fact you resole your shoe might as well be environmental damaging, topy it or dainite sole would last you far longer than leather sole. We're appreciating the high value add in the aesthetic component, not just goodyear welt (good enough method for automation compare to hand welt when it was invented) on decent leather, otherwise all shoes should just cost 150 with thick log/dainite sole on them. Shoe/clothe making are still human capital heavy (which is what I assume we're talking about here), and mostly low skills if you want to produce in the quantities needed for everyone. The guy/gal sitting on the factory assembly line sewing the shirt buttons were not all artisans back in the 1920s, why would they suddenly be now. Bring jobs to the US (or anywhere else, it's not zero sum game) is not a bad thing, it's just the human heavy kind are never coming back (which is what this industry still tend to be). Let's not to be too nostalgic about how things were...

6. clee1982

clee1982 Distinguished Member

:laugh:

7. Munky

Munky Distinguished Member

Excuse my ignorance, but to what does the apostrophe refer in Reno'Mat?

8. Numbernine

Numbernine Distinguished Member

9. Munky

Thanks, Englade; much the wiser now!

10. Munky

What about this. On Saturday, I bought a pair of 'summer' shoes, for very casual wear, in a Sale. They had brogue leather tops and EVO wedge soles. They were reduced to £24. I wore them for the whole of Sunday (uncharacteristically, we had sun). They were comfortable all day and my guess is that I could have worn them all week. The pair of £200 Loake's brogues that I bought 7 weeks ago are still crucifying my feet. I have e-mailed Loake's for some suggestions.

As I have suggested on here, in another post, it is likely that not that many people look at our shoes - we wear them because we like quality and the way that they look. However, we probably imagine that other people look at our shoes and admire them. If all this is the case, there is surely an argument for utility. My £24 shoes, probably hated by most people on here (just from the description and even more because of the price), are comfortable, pleasant to look at and also 'invisible' to most other people. In terms of utility, they do their job. I suggest that it is possible to live with both 'nice' shoes and with cheap ones. Perhaps we all do this, but I bet we don't!

11. VegTan

VegTan Senior Member

Yes, but this break-in method is for new shoes. Please don't squash a toe box.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Distinguished Member

Cool patent drawing. I've never seen that.

13. chogall

chogall Distinguished Member

Which magazine did the scan come from?

14. VegTan

VegTan Senior Member

These C&J benchgrades, sold by A Fine Pair of Shoes a few years ago, are factory seconds. These natural marks can be concealed with pigments, and low-priced makers prefer pigmented leathers because dress shoes are required to look perfect in the market.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Munky

Thank you, VegTan, for the information about bending shoes (and for the excellent diagram).