Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. wurger

wurger Senior member

Must have travelled abroad and learnt, and brought it back to Taiwan, shoe making isn't exactly secret science. :D

The techniques can be learnt, the machines can be bought, while the art takes some developing.

2. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

Well, I am asking that because most of the shoe maker I met in Taiwan are self taught (especially the ones on a smaller scale). Some of the more recent ones in English trained, but then they would probably be doing GY instead of blake stiching. My father used an old guy who apprentice under a master who learned the craft during Japanese occupation time (though never went to Japan, so no idea where did this gy learned in the first place).

3. wurger

wurger Senior member

My first attempt at polishing with Saphir a few weeks ago, took me an entire morning, and no where near mirror shine...

I really envy the mirror shine effects you guys achieve!

Did 2 layers of wax polish each, I guess I need more time, patience and practice... :embar:

[​IMG]

4. Chowkin

Chowkin Senior member

Have you guys really only been getting around 2 resoles from your shoes?  I have come to expect 4, maybe 5.  
    [/quote]

I have resoled my post Prada Church's four times[​IMG]

5. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Go back to them, brush the hell out of them (good few minutes each shoe) buff with a cloth then start working on your mirror. Check out Crat, Glenjay, Benhour to name but a few and try out their methods. Patience grasshopper!

Edit: You might end up happier eschewing the mirror. Its a pain in the arse cos its only gonna get fkd up by some clutz standing on your foot in a lift or something :(

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Church shoes are seriously built like tanks. Steven at Leffot has had this pair of Graftons for ages. He said he shovels snow in them and they still look great.

7. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    Quote: When my shoe collection reached 5-6 pairs, the rotation of wearing the shoes dropped the need to resoling to one or two per year at the most.

Others who have amassed upwards of 50 to 90 pairs have told me they have never resoled . . . probably because they are always adding a few more styles to their collection each year.

8. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Those numbers make perfect sense, and I'd be very surprised if a person with 90 shoes ever needed a resole, unless people start living as long as they did in the Bible again.

However, we're talking about about total number of resoles that a shoe can handle, not how many resoles people send off for annually. The others were calculating 2 resoles into the life of their shoes to figure out longevity, while I would calculate 4 resoles.

9. patrickBOOTH

Well, I mean B Nelson can replace welts, so I suspect if the uppers hold up they can handle quite a few resoles. My barker blacks in the photos above are on their 3rd or 4th sole.

10. benhour

benhour Senior member

i am looking forward to see Patrick!!!! [​IMG]

You really walk too mutch!!! i usually walk about 2miles per wear at most!!(usually i go with my car so i dont walk a lot i have to admit)

yes exactly that!! i prefer to see no stitching around the shoe but i would happyly wear a good looking shoe with GYwelt or norvigian and ofcourse bespoke!! i tried to find and a pic from Blake and one for a GYear(somewhere in the black hole of my computer) but till now i cant locate them!!!
    I have resoled my post Prada Church's four times[​IMG][/QUOTE]
    yes thats true !! i expect 3-4 resoles but with the fact i walk about 2miles at most per wear i think my upper will be destroyed before i ll need the 4th resole!

11. MoneyWellSpent

I also suspect that B. Nelson doesn't automatically replace the welt (though I don't know for sure), so you may get more life out of your shoes if you use them, rather than sending them back to the manufacturer.

12. MoneyWellSpent

Very possible!

13. patrickBOOTH

Nick won't automatically do it, but I remember once he said to me, "If you want to do this right by the look of the condition of the welt I think you should replace it along with the sole." One thing Nick does is give you options and his opinion.

14. patrickBOOTH

I walk 1/2 a mile to the train in the morning, probably another 1/2 a mile at lunchtime, and 1/2 a mile from the train to home. On weekends I walk even more. If I walk less to get more out of my shoes then I will get fat and need new suits! A conundrum.

15. MoneyWellSpent

That's how it should be.