• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reason for using a wire brush on a leather boot or shoe when there are so many better alernatives escapes me but personally I would highly discourage it

Last edited:

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For newcomers here . . . Roger Huard, Wolverine’s Vice President of Product Development, demonstrates how to care for your 1000 Mile boots: As the video shows, Roger prefers to: a) Use Wire brush around the welt b) Remove laces c) Use his bare hands to apply conditioner d) Apply conditioner to portion of sole where it is worn.
I have 2 pairs of 1k mile boots and the last thing I'd be doing is putting anything on the soles if you ever walk on remotely slick surfaces. They're dangerous enough as is. Weird soapiness to the leather which makes them particularly slippy. They also wear spectacularly fast. When did you stop being a newcomer here DC?

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The reason for using a wire brush on a leather boot or shoe when there are so many better alernatives escapes me but personally I would highly discourage it

Really depends on the softness/grid of the wire brush, but used tooth brush is a better option IMO, for getting rid of built up dirt stuck on the welt and some corners.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Really depends on the softness/grid of the wire brush, but used tooth brush is a better option IMO, for getting rid of built up dirt stuck on the welt and some corners.

I would think the reasons for not recommending a wire brush to clean leather would be obvious considering the mechanical aptitude of the average joe

benhour

Reaction score
I have 2 pairs of 1k mile boots and the last thing I'd be doing is putting anything on the soles if you ever walk on remotely slick surfaces. They're dangerous enough as is. Weird soapiness to the leather which makes them particularly slippy. They also wear spectacularly fast.
When did you stop being a newcomer here DC?
totally agree!! i dont think putting conditioner at the soles will help them extend their life!! specially something like renovateur witch is formulated to soften the leather!! the only reason putting conditioner on soles is when you havent wore them for really long time or if they get really wet to bring back the balance of the oils inthem! if you put conditioner every time you polish your shoes on the soles and then you put them on and go out they ll wear faster!!

personally i use once heated wax per life time of the shoe just to make soles someking of more water resistand and harden the surface!!but for the first wear is like dancing on ice!!
i think too tooth brush or some bristl brush is what u need to get rid of the dust at the welt!!

Kwaker

Reaction score

When did you stop being a newcomer here DC?

I really don't know who DC is trying to impress in these forums. He's stooped so low on so many occasions that there is no way that he can build up any credibility.

On a personal note, I wish I had discovered this forum 15 years ago ... then I would have realized that a moist cloth wipe followed by Kiwi polish is insufficient to prevent the surface of calf from cracking.

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would think the reasons for not recommending a wire brush to clean leather would be obvious considering the mechanical aptitude of the average joe

I agree 100%. One slip up and that wire brush will make a mess of that aniline/pull up chromexcel.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience of Boot Black cream or polish? Boot Black is produced in Japan by The Columbus Co Ltd. It is available in various colours , although not, at least in the UK, in black!

Nikos

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience of Boot Black cream or polish? Boot Black is produced in Japan by The Columbus Co Ltd. It is available in various colours , although not, at least in the UK, in black!

I have a dark brown cream.
I think it is excellent, probably on a par with Saphir (although I am by no means an expert). Quite expensive too, I remember.

benhour

Reaction score
i think boot black is too overpriced!!

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is very reasonably priced on AFPOS, Ozzy and that's why I was asking about it. . By coincidence, it was the dark brown that I was looking for. I think I will buy a jar now. Thanks for your comments.

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I needed any product atm I'd be giving it a try. I assume its turpentine free then Munky?

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the turpentine, Ozzy. I will report back when I have got it. It doesn't say anything about turps it in the FPOS description (while it does in the Saphir descriptions). I see that the Boot Black wax is a discontinued line but not the cream.

When the weather is OK, here, I can use turpentine products outside. In the winter I will rely on Callonil and Woly products. That being the case, it looks like I will be using the latter products more often than not!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics