**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. benhour

benhour Senior member

according to the europian union laws, UK can do nothing to the Saphir even if they say they had plutonium in their polish!! only the country were the product is originated is responisible for that!!reseller can say they gave me the description and i cant know what is in there,and he is free to go!!btw Saphir say,s it on all their products that have turpentine in them that turpentine is there so why not to mention that on renovateur ?

turpentine is distillation product from pine tree resin(boiling the resin with water and collecting the vapor,doing it an other couple of times to the product of the first boil and here is turpentine) !! its not something like olive-coconut or something like that to take oil out of it!!i dont know why they call it like that but if we go with chemistry terms a distillation product cant be oil!!!(maybe its translation issue )

i searched in whole their site and they nowhere mentioning that renovateur has turpentine in it!! if you can point where they say it cause i cant find it!!!

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Just because something is natural doesn't mean it isn't harmful. Arsenic is natural and it kills us.

3. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Now I'm talking from memory here - but didn't we previously determine that Reno contains Pine Oil and not turpentine?

They are two similar, but different, things.

4. patrickBOOTH

Not really.

5. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Meant to post this here last week. A bit of shell shoe care the other evening. By the time I was done, it was dark so I had to use flash. Flash pointed straight up with nothing to bounce off so I didn't get the real bad hot spots. Image came out well IMO for pitch dark. A pop-up flash or one pointed directly at the shoe never looks right.

[​IMG]

AE burgundy shell Macneil and Leeds are about 18 mos old and the cigar PTB are just a few weeks old. Alden have seen no product, just brushing. The AE's needed a coat of renovateur and a lot of brushing. They haven't had a coat of Renovateur in several months and I wear each about once a week. They see a coat of renovateur as needed which is about quarterly. Brush before or after each wear. it illustrates the difference between Alden and AE shell. My Alden shell has always been much easier to maintain than the AE's. It takes a lot more work for the Ae's to look as good as Alden right out of the box. However, after a while they all look pretty well.

6. benhour

benhour Senior member

first of all i am really happy to see you back here!![​IMG]

i am not sure about pine oil(to be honest i dont remember seenimg anywhere mentioning that) !! the only things are in renovateur for sure as far as i know is mink oil-beeswax-lanolin-aqua and not turpentine!!(i have read somewhere there is jojoba oil too but i am not sure for that)
    even i am not a great fun of shell i have to admit these are really nice shoes!!!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  7. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

They look great! Hope you don't mind a few questions:

How much pressure do you apply when you brush and do you brush very rapidly?
    Is this done with a very stiff horsehair brush?
    Also, did the Aldens look like that after the first brushing or did it take several wears and brushings to get it to that level?

8. patrickBOOTH

AE and Alden shell comes from the same place, Horween. The difference is Alden puts their own dye over their shell to make it more their own. Also, they are better at simply polishing and finishing their shell before it leaves the factory. The higher end shoe makers that use shell for MTO do an incredible job. If you have ever seen St. Crispin/EG/G&G shell shoes they choose much better looking, more consistent hides and spend a lot more time making it look great. It is hard to believe it is even the same tannery as Alden and AE in some cases.

9. Munky

Munky Senior member

My apologies, Ben, for suggesting that Reno contains turpentine. After looking again, like you, I can find no mention of turpentine. I can only find it in cream and wax.

Given that I have real problems using Saphir products because of the 'side effects' they cause me, can anyone advise me of other, high quality preparations that are pretty much equal to Saphir ones? And ones that are likely to be available in the UK. I am looking for alternatives for Reno, shoe cream and shoe wax.

My wife has suggested my getting an industrial face mask. [​IMG]

10. patrickBOOTH

Lexol, or nappa cream from saphir.

11. Munky

Munky Senior member

Thank you very much for that, Patrick.

12. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

I am becoming a big fan of lexol . I have used it to great sucess on shell cordovan .Damn near free compared to reno and I just dont like venetian for some reason

13. benhour

benhour Senior member

i ll agree with patrick and englade use lexol as a conditioner(i can count only on internet reviews cause they dont sell it here)!!i dont think you ll have any problem using renovateur( if you are some kind of sensitive to turpentine cause it hasnt any,)so i think you can keep up using it! now to the wax and cream polish part i ll sujest you try collonil 1909 polish line! they smell good, and they shine really easyly!they are quite cheaper from Saphir products!!
    [​IMG]
    the first one (the one in the tube) is their premium leather conditioner 75ml! the 2 in the midle is their cream polish 100ml and the last one is their wax polish also in 100ml tin!! the prices in greece are about 7euro the conditioner-cleaner!9 euro the cream polish and 7euro the wax polish!!
    hope i helped ,Munky [​IMG]

14. patrickBOOTH

I wonder if you can huff saphir to catch a buzz? Anybody try it?

15. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I'd say medium pressure with a big soft Florsheim HH brush that I bought in 1995. I absolutely love it. It's worn down wonderfully after all these years. The Alden did not look like that out of the box but pretty close. It took some time, maybe 30 min spread out over a few days. AE's come caked in polish and pigment. It takes hours of wiping down with a damp cloth, tons of brushing and a bit of Renovateur to get them to the same level as Alden. However, after some time, they both look equally lustrous.
    I'm well aware that Horween supplies shell to both mfrs. Our very own Mr. Copeland posted a link from The Hanger Project that told me all about them.