**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. chogall

chogall Senior member

That's not a polished sole.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013

2. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Quote:That looks like a brand new sole with no wear at the heel. Where did you get that picture from?

3. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    There might be some others who wish to answer, but below is what I found:

[​IMG]
    Saphir Hiver-Winter Salt & Snow Stain Remover - $13.00

QUOTE:
    "This is specifically developed to eliminate white marks caused when leather comes into contact with salt, water and snow. It can be used on all leathers, including fine leather shoes.

"Directions:

1. With a horsehair brush, clean any dust or dirt that may have accumulated on your shoes or leather item. If necessary, use Saphir Cleaning Soap or Renomat.

2. Shake the Hiver-Winter Bottle.

3. Apply the product on the affected white areas using a soft cloth.

4. Allow to dry.

If the area is still affected, consider using Saphir Juvacuir Recolorant or Saphir Renovating Repair Cream to recolor the leather.

If the leather is very worn, consider using Saphir Dubbin Graisse to soften the leather.

4. David Copeland

I now have to agree. I have revised the original text to suggest as much.

There are tutorials showing and suggesting to polish the small unworn section of the sole near the heel, but there is mixed opinion as to who does and who does not.

5. chogall

chogall Senior member

Had the same thing happen to my RM Williams Yearling Craftsman. And only to them. Happens only when I walked many many miles and the boots are wet either from perspiration or rain, with white blotches/powders appearing around the most creased areas.

Initially I thought its like salt crystals forming from perspiration but once toughed it feels like wax powders. I just wipe w/ moist paper towel/napkins or brush off them.

They stopped appearing once I stop putting a high shine all over them. They started to crack after 5 years of age at stress points already despite the only thing touches that pair of shoes are renovators. Now using Lexol on them to condition and renovators to clean..

Never had the same thing happen to any of my other shoes for some reason.

If he didn't have the problem w/ Kiwi, then perhaps your best suggestion should be switching back to kiwi instead of using one Saphir product to fix another Saphir products problems. What's the point of using A to cure B with C side effects and then uses D to cure side effect C with another side effect which can only be cured by E? Shoe care products shouldnt be sold like prescription drugs...

6. chogall

chogall Senior member

Why do anyone need a separate instruction to polish soles or heel edges? It's just exactly the same method compare to how to polish leather, marble, or cars.

Here is my not so mirror shined but polished soles. Worn soles.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013

7. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

If this fails, I repeat my suggestion to use a thin latex glove. These gloves are cheap as chips.

8. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

David, this is the second time you've used the feet up on a desk story. Personally, if I go into a meeting and the guy has his feet on the desk, my first thought isn't going to be "ooh, nice sole shine! This guy is really classy" its going to be, who the hell does this yahoo think he is!?

9. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Chogall, exactly the same thing happened with my C&Js. Got caught in the rain and they ended up covered in white blotches. I out it down to demolition work causing concrete dust in the rain but it had never happened before. I had used only renovator and creme polish and I also cured it by wiping down with a damp cloth, brushing then applying wax all over. It seems Reno and creme polish don't work so well in wet environments

10. Munky

Munky Senior member

For people with black shoes who DO want to polish the soles, 'A Fine Pair of Shoes' - in the UK - sell a Japanese product called Boot Black Leather Sole Conditioner. I haven't seen a review of it, though. Perhaps it doesn't sell all that well. Other Boot Black products, on the same page, are sale items.

11. VegTan

VegTan Senior member

Sorry. I used Google Translate.

Yes, they do not sell conditioner.
    http://www.der-feine-auftritt.de/en...=b46ea2b7e9ae23a0eb33420d709579f5&filter_id=1

I think "Aqueous formula" means water based.
    http://www.valmour.com/cleaning-products/leather-renovator-saphir-medaille-dor,522

Renovator may contain some solvent, but Renovator NAPPA says "without addition of solvent".
    http://www.valmour.com/cleaning-products/leather-renovator-nappa-medaille-dor,512

12. VegTan

VegTan Senior member

The test was done by Helge Sternke(nach Sternke) and I suppose the picture is reprinted from his book. http://www.schuhbuch.de/03.00.htm
    I feel it is hard to discriminate the depth of each black, especially because diffuse reflection occurs on the surface of Diamant. So, I meant to suggest a simple test, which is done with the same amount and the same pressure. Sorry for my insufficient reply. As for dyes and pigments, I think you know the difference between aniline dyed leathers and pigmented leathers. http://www.furnitureclinic.co.uk/Leather_Types.php http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~vaw26/final/coloragents.html

13. David Copeland

Personally, I would never put my feet up on my desk. I do have ottoman's which are used for propping up feet, but have never used them in a business environment. My crossed-leg style is less these days. But for those who do, perhaps a tad bit of polish would suffice. Someone else mentioned kneeling in church. Other than that, what harm would it do?

Note: For those who watch the series "A Good Wife", the law firm partner seems to casually sit at times showing a polished portion of his shoes.

14. David Copeland

You have me intrigued! My wife has some in her 72 hour emergency pack that I will try. Thanks for the suggestion.

All my best,

David

15. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have also experiences these white splotches. Sometimes they appear at stress points if I have done a lot of walking and my feet sweat. I always just thought it was the lining of the shoe getting soaked and it evaporating into the vamp leaving some salt stains behind. When/if that happens I usually wipe it will a little Lexol and give them a buff.

About polishing the area close to the heel. I used to do this when I was younger and had more time, but then I found that nobody ever sees the bottoms of my shoes except me and felt it a waste of time and polishes. I never put my feet up on the desk, and I never cross my legs, (or put an ankle on a knee). I think some things like keeping perfectly polished soles enters fuddy-duddy territory. When I see people who put too much thought into things I can't help but think A) Too much time on their hands and B) overthink the importance of the unimportant and C) are probably all show-no go.