Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Munky

Munky Senior member

Sorry for the confusion, David. I use the Selvyt SR, fine cotton cloths for polishing my shoes. I use a very large, microfibre cloth to protect my clothes when cleaning shoes - they don't play a part in the cleaning. I bought the microfibre cloth from Amazon for about £6.

I don't live in London but I am in the UK. Very best wishes.

2. Munky

Munky Senior member

It may be a cultural thing, then, Englade. I don't know, but from what I can tell, you are drummed out of the British Army if you don't use these cloths! I appreciate that they aint everyones' first choice!

3. chogall

chogall Senior member

Damn you must be one of the oldest person on SF.

4. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

And probably a lot wiser than you, too.

5. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Upr crust looks close but to give you an idea i am pre- boomer

6. benhour

benhour Senior member

Btw judging from the pics and some reviews(not personal experience with the specific cloth) it seems to be a really good polish cloth!! i said 16pounds refering to the 14''-17'' inch pack of 2 witch i think is more or less the same lenght as an old t-shirt! but i have to agree with Englade that this is quite expensive to use it if you want to apply your polish only!!

i personally use horsehair dauber's to apply my polish cause it helps polish to spread evenly!(i have big hands so i cant reach all areas of the shoe especially near the sole or at the place were the leather parts of the shoe are stitched together!) i use cloth when i mirror shine or apply some nourishing cream to have a better control of the amount of product i put on! but always that's what is more convenient to me[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013

7. Munky

Munky Senior member

To be fair, Benhour, they are not just for applying polish. Turn them over and they are made for buffing. I reckon that £10 for a 21" X 20" cloth that is likely to last 'forever' and improve with washing, isn't bad!

Now I'm off to GAP to buy a tee shirt...[​IMG]

Best wishes, Munky

8. Munky

Munky Senior member

I've just noticed that John Lobb sell Selvyt cloths at a vastly inflated price.

9. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Try Salvation Army instead only the old used tees have magic polishing powers . White are best but light colors will do in a pinch , but by all means avoid graphics of any sort [​IMG]

10. vncrz

vncrz Senior member

Two questions:

1) How much Renomat should be applied when stripping layers of wax and residue off a pair of shoes?

2) I noticed some irregularities on the cap toe of my C&J Hallams, as if parts of the cap toe had been "stained". I thought it was built-up wax that had been rubbed in too hard when attempting to spit shine the shoe, and so I applied a generous amount of Renomat (which lead to question 1) above). What could this be? It's hard to photograph but you can see parts of it in the yellow areas.

[​IMG]

Thanks!

11. benhour

benhour Senior member

i said that in the first post i did, about this kind of cloths!! if you are not going for a spit or mirror shine(buffing with the cloth) and use it only to apply polish is a waste of money at my opinion!! personally i buff with a horsehair brush with very soft long hair!! i use cloth as i said only for the mirror finish or applying a nourishing creme!

john lobb does this with every kind of third party product they sell with their name on it!!! like their polish and their brushes or applicators!!they take advantage of their name and the pour information of consumers
    this looks like you have striped some of the factory finish of the leather!! or pull up some of the leather fibers(i can't be sure but i am closer to the first one)!! with a good apply of wax or paste polish this ll disapear!! i would try a spit or mirror finish!!

12. vncrz

vncrz Senior member

Thanks, this happened before I applied the Renomat, so that rules the first option out. I applied it precisely because I though it was excess built in polish. Should I keep applying more Renomat? I feel unsure about it as I've already applied it twice, do multiple layers of wax require more?

13. chogall

chogall Senior member

Really depends on how much you try to strip. One single pass of renomat won't remove much and after couple passes, you could remove old buildups using even leather conditioners. It will most certainly take you a very long time to use renomat on shoes until no pigment comes off on your cloth/applicator. Chances are the leather will be soaking wet before then!

But for your case, try just use renovator to dissolve, blend, and even out the polish.

14. cto15

cto15 New Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this Forum. I need your help and advise on proper care and cleaning for my Carmina shoes.

Is it alright to switch brands for shoe creams and bees' wax shoe polish after you've used them to clean a pair of shoes? I have an M.Mowbray Dark Brown shoe cream and La Cordonnerie Shoe Polish and once it runs out, I plan to buy and switch to Saphir Dark Brown shoe cream and wax polish. Will using two different brands affect the color and quality of the leather?

Thank you and I appreciate the suggestions and advise!

15. chogall

chogall Senior member

No problem at all switching brands. Especially now Saphir bought LCA!!