1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Munky

Munky Distinguished Member

I'm nor so sure about microfibre cloths for cleaning shoes, David. Selvyt cloths are very closely woven, high quality, cotton cloths. They aren't particularly cheap but well worth it. From what I have seen of seen from YouTube vids, they are widely used by street shoe-shiners. They are pale yellow.

http://www.selvyt.co.uk/selvyt-cloths/polishing-cloths/selvyt-sr.html

2. Munky

I'm not completely happy with cleaning shoes with microfibre, although I couldn't offer you a detailed objection. Selvyt cloths have a proven track record in the shoe department. They are finely woven cotton and - I notice - often used by street shoe-shiners. They are a very pale yellow. I am experimenting, at the moment, with using one such cloth to apply cream/wax to a range of my shoes and using the same cloth to buff them. I noticed that many shoe-shiners use just one cloth to apply products. Just a thought.

3. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Senior Member

My guess is many use a single cloth to cut expenses since it may only have marginal difference. As long as there is clean cloth sitting nearby that they can use to buff, it will soon be smothered in conditioner/wax/cream etc when others wear out.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013

4. Munky

Yep, that's ok but it strikes me as odd that people will pay out lots for Saphir products etc., only to use the nearest cloth to put them on. If you spend loads on shoes and polishes, why not go the extra mile and buy better cloths?

5. chogall

chogall Distinguished Member

How do you wash polishing cloths?

I like using old t shirts because they don't have any nap and are thin enough.

6. Numbernine

Numbernine Distinguished Member

Personally I use mico fiber to buff until it becomes well used . At that point I start using it to apply wax and creams starting a new one for buffing . Works good for me .
    A note on Saphir products cost . If used properly for maintence , as opposed to restoration, the amount used is so small cost is insignificant imo

7. benhour

benhour Senior Member

probably because there is no difference at all using an old t-shirt and a cloth that cost's about 16 pounds just to apply polish on your shoes!! and because most of the people wont go for a mirror finish or a spit shine its a waste of money at my opinion!! when i go for a mirror shine i use a cotton old t-shirt and the final layer applyed by a cloth from sunglasses(all of them are free )!! but always that's my opinion!!
    i use it exactly for the same reason l!!

totally agree with that!!!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013

8. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior Member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    Question: When I received my Amazon order of micro fiber clothes, each one had a tag stating "wash before using".

Would that be relevant to using the cloth for shoes?

You're right. At this rate . . . it will be a long time before I need to reorder.

David

9. Numbernine

I did not wash mine perhaps I should . Stiil work fine though

10. Munky

The Selvyt cloths are not £16 but £10.50 for one nearly a foot square. Smaller ones, obviously, are cheaper. I use a very large microfibre cloth, over my lap, when cleaning and polishing shoes. The do need to be washed before use. The give off a lot of colour during the washing process. I have found that both the microfibre cloth and cleaning cloths are fine in the washing machine and tumble dryer.

11. Munky

Sorry, I meant 'two foot square' in my message above. My apologies.

12. Numbernine

sorry

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013

13. Munky

Haha! I only just spotted that!

14. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior Member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    Forgive my question, but I am confused. You wrote:
    And then you wrote:

The Selvyt website also sells micro-fiber clothes - which is why I found a generic cloth on Amazon for .70 cents each delivered.

Also, are you in London?

David

15. Numbernine

To be honest , at over $8 for a polishing cloth that could arguably be just as well or better replaced by an old tee shirt, I dont think you will get too many takers. No argument just being realistic . I dont know about the British Army but I served in the Vietnam war and if I remember correctlly they court martialed you for using anything but an old tee shirt to shine shoes or clean weapons