**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Munky

Munky Senior member

I have read through the whole of this thread. I don't think that I have come across references to Selvyt cleaning cloths. These are excellent cotton 'chamois' cloths that are sometimes sold under various shoe brand names. They are also available directly from the company that makes them, in the UK. I know that old tee shirts are a popular way of applying shoe creams and polishes but Selvyt cloths are top quality. They can be used for dusting off shoes before cleaning, for applying creams and polishes and for buffing. They improve with washing.

2. chogall

chogall Senior member

2. Use a masking tape to mark the end of toe cap. Bull the cap all the way onto the masking tape. Remove tape. Viola, a very sharp straight line separating the bulled cap and the rest if the shoe.

Masking tape won't hurt leather. The patina artists uses the same method.

3. glenjay

glenjay Senior member

I don't think it looks natural to have a distinct polish transition line where no seam exists. I would just fade/feather out the mirror shine at the vamp end of the toe puff.

4. mikeman

mikeman Senior member

Sorry, I was a bit unclear. Whenever I try to bull the toe i always end up going king of crooked. I agree, fading into the vamp looks good.

5. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Agreed. That's one of the things that takes a bit of practice, finding the right balance between the transition from bulled to not-bulled.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hard to tell in these images but the left shoe above had a hard transition where the right was less abrupt. It was painfully obvious in person and took a while to get it right.

6. mikeman

mikeman Senior member

^ Wow. those look amazing! I hope to one day be able to get a nice shine like that.

7. chogall

chogall Senior member

never tried to wash my polishing clothes. any tips?

8. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I bought a selvyt at a watchmaker shop (Frei & Borel) and have used for 10+ yrs for my watches. I'd heard they were great on shoes but never tried it.

9. chogall

chogall Senior member

my concern is that they might be fine to wipe off debris or buff a mirror shine, they won't be too suitable to use as cream and wax applicator or be used to spit shine...

10. glenjay

glenjay Senior member

The best way I have found to blend the mirror shine on the toe into the brush shine on the vamp is the following:

1) Give the shoe a good brush shine (avoid the existing mirror shine on the toe if one exists).
    2) Mirror shine past the edge of the toe puff and onto the vamp a little (perhaps half an inch).
    3) Use a soft (long) horsehair brush and brush the vamp gently down to about the middle of where you want to blend the mirror shine. This should keep you from getting too crooked.
    4) Dampen the applicator (old t-shirt) that you used to produce the mirror shine, and rub gently at the transition.

This is what I do to create a smooth transition. I'm sure there are other ways as well.

11. benhour

benhour Senior member

i usually find the first crease counting from the toe and apply the first layer of wax half an inch above it!! continue with the second layer till the creasing point and the 3rd half an inch before the creas!! do the last apply of wax only at the toe!! this makes the ilusion of fadding the mirror shine from toe to the back of the shoe!!hope i helped a little bit
    [​IMG]

12. mikeman

mikeman Senior member

Thanks for the tips guys! I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow...

Yet another question. In anticipation for my new meermin double monks (size uk 8.5) I'm looking to order some of the woodlore epic shoe trees. The only problem I have is sizing. It seems like everyone says the sizing is off. Meermin says the Hiro last is a e width... Small or medium?

http://www.woodlore.com/mens-epic-twin-tube-shoe-tree-pair/

Or would these AE combo trees work just fine?
    http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF610_1_40000000001_-1

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013

13. benhour

benhour Senior member

i prefer using the first tipe of shoe trees!! i think they fit mutch better the shape of the shoes i have, so i sujest look witch one matches the shape of you shoe and go for it!i use the second tipe mostly on my driving shoes(TOD'S)! btw i really cant get the thing with the size!!!here i go to my local store and take a 10E , they have a spesific shoe tree for every size and every width so i can't help you on that!!someone from the guys here from the US ll gladly help you on that!

14. Munky

Munky Senior member

Selvyt clothes are recommended by the British army for polishing and bulling boots. Apparently they are excellent for the latter. They can be washed in the washing machine and tumble dried. They have a smooth side for applying polish/wax and a napped side for polishing and bulling. They are excellent for both applying and buffing.

If you buy directly from Selvyt or from a major distributor, you can buy very large ones that have a big advantage over the small ones often supplied with good shoes.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013

15. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    In another thread topic (Allen Edmonds Shoes), the following was highly recommended too:

Microfiber Cleaning Cloth Link
    Pack of 24 for $16.99 with free 2-day shipping

And they are washable.

All my best,

David