**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Quick question. With mirror waxed areas of shoes, such as toe area, is there any point applying cream on top of these areas? Does the wax layer stop the penetration of cream? I have a pair of tan captoes which I have mirror shined the toe area with neutral wax, and now I am wondering whether that area will age/patina differently to the rest of the shoe if I start applying different colored creams.

2. chogall

chogall Senior member

Very informative and interesting!!

It's science for sure.

Every time you applies cream/polish/conditioner you do break down the top layers of your existing wax. Which in your case would have its color pigment be mixed and spreader with the neutral waxes, hopefully creating a beautiful patina.

That said, even with exact same treatment, ago won't age uniformly and some sections are bonded to age very different than others.

3. phantom_lord

phantom_lord Member

Thanks very much for the replies.

One last question I have a pair of corrected grain shoes am I wasting my time waxing/polishing those?

4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

All they really need is a brushing with a horsehair brush, honestly. If they get very scuffed a little bit of wax can make them look better.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013

5. Munky

Munky Senior member

This is such snobbery. A person asks how to take care of his corrected leather shoes doesn't deserve to be treated in this high-handed way. Not everyone can afford very expensive shoes but that doesn't mean that they are not interested in a) shoes in general and b) looking after them. A bit of humility wouldn't go amiss on this thread. There is, presumably, room for everyone here. Or, perhaps not...

6. patrickBOOTH

What the fuck? What snobbery? I gave him a solid answer. Btw, Welcome to Style Forum, enjoy your stay!

7. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Senior member

I think phantom_lord will survive. Goodness Munky you join because of that? You must have high blood pressure.

8. patrickBOOTH

Was I supposed to do cartwheels because somebody asked how to polish their shoes? :confused:

9. Munky

Munky Senior member

Well, I do have high blood pressure and perhaps I was a little bit hasty...apologies for that. I am very fond of shoes, though and hope I can contribute in a more measured way! [​IMG]

10. phantom_lord

phantom_lord Member

I was expecting a stronger reaction! I bought them when I knew less about shoes.

11. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Throw that freakin crap in the garbage WTF !!! are you an idiot we got no time to waste on that plastic coated junk !!!! Wax them ???? Goddam waste of Kiwi if you ask me!!!! Btw welcome to SF [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. benhour

benhour Senior member

As always Glen take's it to the next level!! [​IMG] really informative!
    intersting how faster orange oil is evaporating compared to turpentine(if i remember correctly it comes out from distilling pine tree juice)
    i think you are just joking here!! hahahah :)
    i dont think you can waste a shoe product that cost's 1,9 euros(parade gloss) and 1,6 euros kiwi shoe polish(i finally found them on an online shop here) i am sure in us it ll be mutch cheaper
    but i dont think this is the product he needs!

phantom_lord

i think the standar products are not for you!! you have to look for something specific for that kind of leather! i think Ron Rider has sugjested the right products in a post in the last 10 pages!! he is the expert!!!

13. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West

Pay no mind to those who belittle one of your earlier choices in corrected leather shoes. It was your personal purchase, you brought the "little babies" home and have proudly worn them. Now you need to take care of them in the best manner possible. Even after you purchase newer more quality leather shoes, you will still find an appropriate time and place to wear shoes you have taken care of.

All my best,

David

14. mikeman

mikeman Senior member

Hey guys,

Two questions.

1) Just got some of the adjustable shoe trees from AE, and the toe seems very thin on them, so they dont fill the toe are much. This is alright as the toe doesn't get all bent out of shape, right? I assume only last style shoe trees will fill the toe box.

2) When bulling the toe on shoes without a cap-- any suggestions on how to get a nice even line across the shoe, or is it just kind of trial and error?

Thanks!

15. patrickBOOTH

1. Tress should be snug and not move around in the shoes.

2. Trial and error.