• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

25 bucks for a shoe shine!? You've been huffing Renomat again haven't you?

$25 for a shine wow that's expensive, however I got to see about my local Nordstrom offering shines for $2.50.

More than the cost of a whole jar of Renovateur.

Will of ASW is also a fan and posted a video several years back with them shining his cordovan boots with deer bone. Too expensive for my blood but then there are people too rich to give a damn.

Didn't know these guys have a stand at Montana.

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^Hahahaaa^^ had to re-read this to check you hadn't written cowboy boots!

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait you box your shoes up and mail them off for a shine and you will not be disappointed ? I must be reading something wrong cause im disappointed just thinking someone would consider doing such a thing .

Last edited:

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wait you box your shoes up and mail them off for a shine and you will not be disappointed ? I must be reading something wrong cause im disappointed just thinking someone would consider doing such a thing .

Lolz! Guy's a nut case!

benhour

Reaction score
probably most of us here can achieve better results than they do!!especially on mirror or spit shine

David Copeland

Reaction score
Well, you can always call Nick at B Nelson in NYC - and ask him about all of his international customers who box up their shoes and boots and mail it to him. There are lots of very good shops in the country who service customers by UPS and the mails.

The $25 shine I mentioned in a previous post is the exception and not the rule - mostly a restoration with mirror shine. The same shine store starts at $7-$10 per shine (which is higher than the $2.50 shine at Nordstroms) - but after watching how much effort they put into any shine makes you wonder what can't you take the time, buy the products, and do it yourself. I guess the answer is that time for many folks is . . . money.

To ge a taste of how I found one such shop - watch a local TV News program with Mike Rowe (before he got his big start with the Discovery Channel) in the following news video:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mail order shine is for those too rich who have too many shoes and who doesn't give a damn.

Besides, don't some shoe retailers offer free shoe shine anyway? Take your lobbs to lobb for free shine, same saphir product. Or leather soul.

swordem

Reaction score
With respectfully i want to know that, u applying Renovateur with a horse hair dauber, what the Renovateur is.? Is it applicable for all types of Leather Footwear.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1f640.png
^^^^^^

dbhdnhdbh

Reaction score
I cannot imagine paying someone to shine my shoes. It would feel like hiring someone to brush my teeth. That said, I now realize some people like sunbright shines, and that requires polishing. If you don't want to do it yourself, then I suppose you have to pay for it. Mail order is easier than taking them somewhere in person.

I would assume that routinely sending shoes out to be polished will lead to some getting lost.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

With respectfully i want to know that, u applying Renovateur with a horse hair dauber, what  the Renovateur is.? Is it applicable for all types of Leather Footwear.

If you notice most pros don't use daubers to apply polish for a typical shine. They use a rag wrapped around the index and middle fingers clenched in their fists. This gives them a better "feel" which insures them that the polish is being spread and applied evenly. Horse daubers are to soft and not as accurate as your fingers. Add to that they waste polish and you have one more thing to clean with no advantage for their use.

Beach Bum

Reaction score
While the idea of shipping shoes to get shined seems ridiculous on the cover, I quickly forget that many of the owners of numerous high end shoes are CEOs, other executives, etc...

Many of which are worth way more than the populous and most definitely most of SF. If they want their shoes polished with the best possible quality and service why not ship to a Pro with no regard for cost. But then I'm sure many have in house butlers that can duly serve as shoe shiners as needed.

One day I'll be shipping my shoes for shining!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads