1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

Gotcha, I inferred too much from what you wrote. Disagreement withdrawn :thumbs-up:

2. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Not to worry - no disagreement here! :D

3. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

at first glance, that welt looked :fu:

caused me to this of this:

[​IMG]

4. JL724

JL724 Senior member

Which shade of the saphir wax polish would be best for G&G vintage rioja, mahogoni or bordo?

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

I use whatever is laying around. They are really similar but I think Bordeaux looks more like vintage rioja than mahogany. Mahogany is browner

6. SHS

SHS Senior member

7. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

+1

Namor, You really should suppress yourself the next time you think you might like to poast some 'dental pictures'! I think I'm going to loose some sleep over that one!

8. unbelragazzo

yikes! sorry to cause anybody to think of that haha...anyway, it doesn't have that effect on me really, so I'm good with it. The shoes are well crafted to my eye...I'd purchase again, except for the antiquing.

9. razl

razl Senior member

Huzzah, I have progress to report!

As previously reported, I've been slowly, steadily working on my shine skills - mostly with lackluster results. Tonight I think I finally made a breakthrough on my Lindricks: after a good cleaning, a reno base and buff, and about 8 light layers of wax and dabs of water I started to see the magic - faint, ghostly reflections of Sunday Night Football on the nose. At first I thought I was seeing things but as I prepare to call it quits for the night, a good close inspection and I can faintly see my peering face and blue shirt reflecting back.

Finally!!! I think I'm getting the groove! MNF tomorrow will be my next date with Reno and cordovan, can't wait!

10. PL92106

PL92106 Senior member

Any thoughts on where I can get 54" brown waxed laces? I've searched SF and the web with little luck. Went to two cobblers and local big box stores as well. Refurbing an old pair of RL boots (Coniston-like) that I found in the garage and want to ditch the hiking boot laces. Any thoughts on other types of laces that might look good for wool/chino/jeans? They last saw the light of day literally ~20 years ago when I was in middle school.

11. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

red wing silicon waterproofing. click the link for a pic of the product. :nodding:

12. chogall

chogall Senior member

It really depend on the brush - specifically, the stiffness of the hair and the density of the hair. Softer and denser brushes are not that much rougher than old t-shirts/rags. For maintenance polishing on a mirror shine shoes/boots.

But to create the mirror/spit shine for the first time, nothing replaces an old t-shirts/rag.

Try use Navy cream; it brings out better color and won't look as dull as black cream antiquing effects. Just IME.

13. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

although I'm VERY pleased with the outcome (wearing them today), I will look into the navy cream for future use.

thanks

14. Karl_in_Chicago

Karl_in_Chicago Well-Known Member

No personal experience but these appear to match what you are looking for.
    http://www.hanksclothing.com/chippewa_wax_laces_black_54_inch_buy.html

15. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

Are the US-based Saphir Renomat devotees ordering it direct from Europe, or is there a US-based retailer that carries it? I can't seem to find it at any of the usual suspects. Many thanks...

16. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I haven't had any luck either.

17. Renton

Renton Senior member

Nicely done

18. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Quad,

If you do choose to use navy cream polish (which I also recommend) do bear in mind that for some reason the pigmints in Meltonion Navy Cream are especially effective at dying the leather.

I've never had any problems using it over other layers of polish. But I recently applied a little to a pair that I had stripped of all wax and the navy cream REALLY soaked in.

Not saying not to use it. As it does indeed work nicely on brown/burgundy shoes. Just be careful to only use it on shoes that already have some wax on them.

19. unbelragazzo

Gdot, would you say the Meltonion is more effective in this regard than Saphir? Should I try on black shoes if I'm trying for a little navy in there?

20. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

I've never used the Saphir creams so I don't know. Sorry.

My Saphir experience so far is limited to Renovateur and the neutral paste wax. Both of which I very pleased with.

I have lots of colors of Meltonian laying around so it will likely be a while before I have occasion to try the Saphir Creams.