**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. IronStyle

IronStyle Well-Known Member

Question for those who use Saphir Creme Universelle regularly on their shoes:

Is applying this something like Saphir polishes or renovateur where it needs to be applied on a cloth and then brushed out after a few minutes of drying or just a simple touch of the fingers and no brushing afterwards? Would like to start using this regularly after every few wears of each pair per recent input from RIDER earlier in the thread.

2. MarkThomas

MarkThomas Senior member

I'm no expert at all but I've been enjoying the attempt at getting a high shine on the toe box recently. I'm using the Saphir stuff from January's Box of Awesome. Process is as follows:

1. Clean w/ very lightly damp rag, allow to dry then brush
    2. Renovateur, allow to dry then buff w/ horsehair brush
    3. Creme Surfine, allow to dry then buff
    4. Pate de Luxe, allow to dry then buff
    5. Then I go to work on the toe box. I usually put a couple more coats of wax on then a drop of water and buff w/ cotton shirt. More wax/water/buff until pretty soon it's just water and buffing until I'm satisfied w/ the shine.

Pics of different shoes in the spoiler. Not amazing yet but it's getting better.
    DSW monks:
    [​IMG]

AE Leeds:
    [​IMG]

Beat-up Bruno Magli:
    [​IMG]

Johnston and Murphy:
    [​IMG]

Bespoke whole cut:
    [​IMG]

Vintage Ducker and Son:
    [​IMG]

AE Park Ave:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  3. chogall

chogall Senior member

Now you know how to spit shine, unlearn it and resist the urge to spit shine everything from shoes to cars to your leather sofa.

4. MarkThomas

MarkThomas Senior member

Exactly! I think the only thing keeping me from that is the amount of time it would take to do the whole sofa haha

5. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

I brush. After every few wears is excessive imo. I use 2~3 times a year.

6. willsgillen

willsgillen Well-Known Member

New question... Below is a pic of the strap of a new pair of Marlow loafers on which I have been using the Mac method of cleaning. I have noticed in a few areas as shown that small dots appear as I continue to brush the shoe. What are these and will they go away as I continue to brush off the factory paste? Thanks for the help.

[​IMG]

7. JesseLivermore

JesseLivermore Active Member

Fair enough.

Moving on, I bought my first pair of cordovan shoes this week. Problem is I don't really know how to take care of them yet. I'll be doing some reading obviously but is there a small list of materials that I need to at least get started?

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've decided to start a project for the benefit of this forum and this thread. I have ordered a shell pair of St. Crispins and when they arrive and I wear them a bit and ensure sizing is correct I plan on ordering a calfskin pair. Now with that calfskin pair each time I wear them I will make an entry to a separate thread I will create with details such as temp/ humidity/weather, how much I wore them, (walk to work and home vs. strolling on weekends) and finally when I care for them (polish/condition routine and products), and finally a picture. I think this should be fun and educational for all.

9. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

A big horse hair shoe brush and an old tee shirt .That should give you @ 6 months to read up.

10. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West

Yes, many off-shore retailers have RenoMat for $10.65 (US Dollars) plus shipping of $8.37 = $19.02 delivered.

Or, if you have several pair of Allen Edmond Shoes and Boots with various colors - you could buy direct from the Paris distributor and get RenoMat from $9.28 to $10.82, by taking advantage of adding additional Saphir Color Creams, Color Waxes, and Renovateur to your shopping cart to offset international shipping - and SAVE $79 TO $100 off the USA prices!

As an example today:

Buy from USA Retailers:
    Saphir RenoMatt (1)
    Saphir Color Creams (5 colors)
    Saphir Color Waxes (5 colors)
    Saphir Renovateur (2)
    TOTAL: 242.00 DELIVERED

Buy from PARIS FRANCE distributor:

Saphir RenoMatt (1)
    Saphir Color Creams (5 colors)
    Saphir Color Waxes (5 colors)
    Saphir Renovateur (2)
    TOTAL: 163.27 DELIVERED

However, buying from some of the USA Retailers as a REGULAR customer on an as-needed basis of $50 to $75 at a time (which gets you free shipping) can be an exceptional service because they are available to call - and to instant chat - and get personalized service on the proper use of all these products. That may be well worth the extra money saved by buying from the Paris distributor.

All my best,

David

11. Noo Guy

Noo Guy Member

[​IMG]

I could really use some help if anyone is online... I just had a drop of olive oil hit my AEs an hour ago, and I am looking for advice on how to remove the stain. I have AE polish, saddle soap and Venetian Shoe Cream here at home, if that helps. (sigh)

12. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Seeing it as patina helps

13. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

What if you have no pairs of Allen Edmonds shoes?

14. chogall

chogall Senior member

Send DWFII a message. He is alaways generous to share his knowledge. Or B.Nelson.

Usually oil stain require some sort of degreaser to be taken out. So I would try saddle soap myself, or would use renomat on the problematic spot.

15. VegTan

VegTan Senior member