**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

This is probably why they were 55% off. Probably factory seconds. For what it is worth, they look soft and comfy. If it doesn't affect your gait I wouldn't let it bother you. I would wear them without issues.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  2. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior member

I think SF needs a wiki where members can create and update entries regarding different shoe care methods. Installing mediawiki is relatively trivial. Do you think the site admin would be up for it?

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Well, as you can see it is a constant debate, and trial and error. It would get updated by the minute with everybody's opinions. Like others have said, it isn't a science so nothing is really "fact" which is what a wiki is best suited for.

4. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Senior member

Thanks for the input DC & PB. I am leaning to keeping.

5. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Im not an IT guy at all but some sort of forum specific search function would be nice . I never even looked at a computer till google came out now I practically live on the cursed thing .Wait! meybe thats not such a good idea after all

6. chogall

chogall Senior member

Won't work. We have too much noise than signal, too much venders and fans of venders than actual enthusiasts.

There are many ways to skin a cat. But unfortunately sometimes certain factions are stating their methodology as the one and only fact.

7. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

There are many ways to skin a cat.  But unfortunately sometimes certain factions are stating their methodology as the one and only fact.
    [/quote]
    Could not agree more . Again the inability to engage in critical thinking rears its ugly little head. Loss of emphasis on liberal arts and an over abundance of unqualified information .Where is my soap box ! Dont get me started here!

8. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior member

Google is your friend. Add this to your query:
    Code:
    site:www.styleforum.net/t/228153/the-official-shoe-care-thread-tutorials-photos-etc
    Example:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=she...fficial-shoe-care-thread-tutorials-photos-etc

Also, there is the 'search this thread' option at the top and bottom of each forum page.

9. Hermitedge

Hermitedge Senior member

So the way the dye is on the heel, where you see two separate shades, and blotch.. will the leather always be like that till I have the leather refinished later down the line?

10. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Ihave theory and it is a theory only tha blemishes in the unfinished shell cause it to absorb dye in greater concentrations than the surrounding area this is what you are seeing . It is fact that Alden and most shoemakers for that matter finish the leather with a tint bearing coating . This coating further conceals the blemish . The fact that this coating is not opaque but rather translucent explains why the blemish is more highly visible in certain lights and from certain angles. Rare shades such as whisky , ravello # 4 etc are less tint bearing thus requiring a clear shell . This is only my own deduction based on my own observations .If someone else were able to present a more fact based explanation im sure it would highly welcomed..
    Sorry I got carried away but to answer your question Yes it appears to be a blemish very common in shell that cannot be removed only coverd up but you must realize that probably a very high percentage if not all black and color #8 have these blemishes otherwise rare shades would not be rare

11. JesseLivermore

JesseLivermore Active Member

Out of university and looking to land a job very soon. I've been scouring Ebay looking for shoes in really bad shape so that I may buy and reno them completely. I know that Allen Edmonds and Alden both have a recrafting program whereby ~$150 will essentially get you a brand new shoe. You all know this, obviously.

How about C&J? John Lobb? Ferragamo?

What other companies offer this kind of service?

btw, this thread has been an invaluable resource for me. Just incredible.

12. chogall

chogall Senior member

Completely not worth it. Totally uneconomical. Try thrift stores or consignment.

13. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

+1 also $150 in repairs will never get you a "brand new pair of shoes" . But it will get a pair of NIB AEs.

14. stevent

stevent Senior member

Agreed and Allen Edmonds seconds are $120-150 anyways plus meermin is ~$200

15. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Also to be noted that if the shoes have been recrafted before by anyone else the factory recraft service won't touch them