• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That shoudl read using wax on non-flexing part of the shoes such as toe and around the heels area. Sorry I was typing this while watching Bruins losing game 6 :censored:

One more thing I may not know much about shoe care but I know about marketing and what Ms. Berluti is doing is a really good marketing propaganda.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Recently purchased a pair of Alden NST boots in brown alpine grain leather. Love them, but it's my first pair with this type of leather.

My question is how to properly care for the leather and what color product(s) method should I be using?

I searched but couldn't find any information on this particular leather and color

Thank you,
Eric

You should treat it as you would any smooth calfskin shoe of that color. Honestly I find that as far as shoe polish colors go close is good enough .If you are looking for more definitive info try searching scotch grain calfskin care .Its a more common name for the same thing

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That shoudl read using wax on non-flexing part of the shoes such as toe and around the heels area. Sorry I was typing this while watching Bruins losing game 6 :censored:

One more thing I may not know much about shoe care but I know about marketing and what Ms. Berluti is doing is a really good marketing propaganda.

Don't know what made you said that from the video. Nothing she said was abnormal.

Using neutral wax in threads is consistent of what I was told on how to "break in" new shoes.

sierra11b

Reaction score

You should treat it as you would any smooth calfskin shoe of that color. Honestly I find that as far as shoe polish colors go close is good enough .If you are looking for more definitive info try searching scotch grain calfskin care .Its a more common name for the same thing

Thank you. Given the reddish-hue of the alden "brown" alpine grain I'm going to give saphir cognac cream a try.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
wellington-boots-men-close-up-green.jpeg

benhour

Reaction score
All waxes does dissolve somewhat the existing waxes. Neutral polish lacks pigment so it can be used to dissolve existing wax and take them away.
this is the best way to say what it is happening !! the new wax because of his solvent( turpentine or something similar) can be used as a stripper!! so when you use neutral wax polish and rub the shoe with force you ll take off the old wax-pigment!! if you use a little amount of neautral wax cause the little ration of product(wax polish) and solvents the only thing u ll do is just to creat a thin layer of transparent wax on top of the existing waxes! but at my opinion if you want to use neutral for that reason i dont think it's a value for money!! i think its better to go on lexol or renomat!!
always thats only my opinion

David Copeland

Reaction score
Question to all:

Please look at the following video and tell me what tool is being used to polish (or clean) the tiny leather indents in the Brogue pattern of the shoe toe. Also, what color are they using to reflect a contrast?

The process where he is using what appears to be a smaller-than-normal cotton swab to get into the tiny Brogue holes - is about 43 seconds into the video.

The photo looks like this:

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It looks like a cotton swab. The brand Q-Tip makes the finest ones. Now, I'm not a cotton swab master craftsman, or anything, but I have used a fair amount of them in my lifetime. My guess it just some cream polish, or conditioner is dabbed on the end to remove polish build-up, not to impart contrast.

Last edited:

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like a cotton swab. The brand Q-Tip makes the finest ones. Now, I'm not a cotton swab master craftsman, or anything, but I have used a fair amount of them in my lifetime. My guess it just some cream polish, or conditioner is dabbed on the end to remove polish build-up, not to impart contrast.

I agree that it is just a cotton swab. If you look carefully, you can see the cotton pulling away and unraveling from the stick, which is why I don't enjoy using them.

Beach Bum

Reaction score
I need some SF expert advice. I just bought these Santonis new-in-box on Ebay and have the following issue. I'll note that the shoe was purchased off a credible ebay "shoe store" and was not on an auction. The price was about 55% off retail.

To start, both shoes have a looser upper around where the top of shoe meets the ankle than an identical Santoni pair I already own in Black. I bought these since I like that other shoe so much. The main issue is the left shoe and the slight wrinkle or bow in this area.

I read up on this and understand it can occur from improper storage or can even be a manufacturer defect, I'm nearly certain it's the former. Here's why, I put shoe trees in them for the past 3 days since receipt and I feel like the shoes are already "tighter" in the areas mentioned above. The one shoe with the noticeable wrinkle is still present which annoys me. However, when wearing as shown in one of the pics I can't feel it and it's hardly noticeable.

So what do you guys think? Return because this is a material defect or issue? Or will the shoe mold back to shape in that aread after a few shines, wear, and continued shoe tree storage? Or even if it won't reform to original shape maybe it's a Non-Issue as it is nearly unnoticeable when wearing?

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the advice.

Hermitedge

Reaction score
I have the worst luck, but that's ok. I own venetian cream, but haven't used it yet. May purchase a deerbone if it might help.

Can this scuff, which looks like its underneath be fixed?

How about these indentations in the cordovan?

Lastly, will the dye even out with time, or worsen? This is only visible when pic is taken with flash.

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have the worst luck, but that's ok. I own venetian cream, but haven't used it yet. May purchase a deerbone if it might help.

Lastly, will the dye even out with time, or worsen? This is only visible when pic is taken with flash.

Can you return these?

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If this bugs you and they are factory firsts then you shouldnt have a prob based on the toe damage .If not honestly there is nothing here that you will even notice a month from now . One of the great things about shell is how the sort of stuff just buffs out and disappears after a while. The discoloration is pretty common on cordovan

David Copeland

Reaction score
I need some SF expert advice. I just bought these Santonis new-in-box on Ebay and have the following issue. I'll note that the shoe was purchased off a credible ebay "shoe store" and was not on an auction. The price was about 55% off retail.

To start, both shoes have a looser upper around where the top of shoe meets the ankle than an identical Santoni pair I already own in Black. I bought these since I like that other shoe so much. The main issue is the left shoe and the slight wrinkle or bow in this area.

I read up on this and understand it can occur from improper storage or can even be a manufacturer defect, I'm nearly certain it's the former. Here's why, I put shoe trees in them for the past 3 days since receipt and I feel like the shoes are already "tighter" in the areas mentioned above. The one shoe with the noticeable wrinkle is still present which annoys me. However, when wearing as shown in one of the pics I can't feel it and it's hardly noticeable.

So what do you guys think? Return because this is a material defect or issue? Or will the shoe mold back to shape in that aread after a few shines, wear, and continued shoe tree storage? Or even if it won't reform to original shape maybe it's a Non-Issue as it is nearly unnoticeable when wearing?

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the advice.

I am not expert on this - but based on what you have written - perhaps these shoes were stored over a period time in a humid area without the benefit of shoe trees. As such, time and wearing them may make further correction.

They look good on you - especially with the six-eyelet straight -cross lacing.

David

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads