Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

2. benhour

benhour Senior member

in the 2-3 first layers i use the same amount of wax polish!! the last one is a little less but not to mutch ''les''!!

btw if you dont hit your shoes somewhere or noboby step on them, with one buff with a microfiber cloth and a tiny amount of cream polish once a month you ll be more than fine!! i have made a mirror shine guide so maybe i have to uploaded here or start a new thread!! all thoughts are more than welcome ! [​IMG]

3. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

Not sure how I can make it more clear in the description that RenoMat is suggested to be an occasional cleaner/light stripper for you. 'Few' and 'several' have very different meanings to me.

4. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Thanks for the post, very informative.

However everything contains chemicals, in fact everything is chemicals, perhaps you mean synthetics? And it does contain solvents, water for example is a solvent, and from the document you posted

Hand protection:
    "Due to the solvents present, it is recommended that polyvinyl alcohol or nitrile rubber gloves be worn"

5. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

Very interesting...thanks for pointing that out! I never even looked at the hand part....as a matter of fact, I have always used my bare hands to dab it on for a quick cleaning. Melts like hand lotion, but I need to ask about that. And no, I meant to type chemicals - but I suppose I am thinking in laymans terms. I never considered water as a solvent, but I'm not a scientist. Just a shoe salesman......

For me, when it comes to msds's, the main part of interest (and regulations) is the transport section. Whenever that section say's 'safe for transport without restrictions' our minds go straight to 'nothing harmful here to worry about'.

And, our entire industry is loaded with harmful products, processes, everything......the rare items that show up without red flags, orange X's, harmful to aquatic organisms stamps, etc., etc., etc.....we scratch our heads and ask 'can it really work?'.

I will ask the chemist about that, but it could well be like the warnings everyone puts on all aerosol cans - 'must be used with proper ventilation, dispose of in approved landfill containers' for example - knowing full well that's impractical in most cases.

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Awesome stuff, based on what Ron and Nick (offline) has said it seems that perhaps I was using too much reno. I was basically using it on the vamps every other wear. Perhaps that is my problem.

Ron, what do you feel about some people saying turpentine in these products can be damaging? Also, what is your thoughts of the Creme Universelle vs. leather lotion vs. nappa leather balm (which seems very delicate) for calf leather.

FWIW, Ron's one other other different maker are the only shoes I have that have held up... Hmmm...

Last edited: May 8, 2013

7. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Ron, thanks for all of your input on the late discussions regarding Saphir products. You are a wealth of knowledge, and have been very helpful. The above comment caught my attention. This is the first I've heard that AE's black calf is corrected/sanded grain across the board as you seem to imply. Generally AE's corrected/sanded grain shoes are apparent and are termed something like "polished cobbler" or some other term that spins it in a positive way. While they do call their black Park Avenue "black custom calf," I haven't been under the impression that they are corrected grain. In fact, I am fairly certain that the corrected grain police would be all over them if they were, given the disdain for such material around SF. The Park Avenue is AE's "flagship" shoe, and I'd be surprised if it somehow slipped through as being made of inferior leather. Do you have a source to back up the sweeping statement that their black calf is corrected/sanded grain?

8. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I'll add my note of thanks to Ron for his contributions.

9. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

Would be interested in the answer to this as well.

10. Son Of Saphir

Son Of Saphir Senior member

:wow:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/glob
    me use glob,
    me always do this,
    many many time.
    lt very good for it,
    me use lot of it,
    keep leather very good and not dry,
    me think it much better with many leather type,
    it a good way,
    leather take it easy and good,
    it never bad.
    Me like saphir very very much because it very very good.
    every thing very good,
    me like it very very much.
    Me use saphir most day,
    wish it every day. :(
    Renovater me favorite. :slayer:

Last edited: May 8, 2013

11. VegTan

VegTan Senior member

Hi. Maybe you have mistaken me for someone else...?

Here are other leathers, which are not so different from soling bends.

http://archive.org/details/jresv38n1p119
    [​IMG]

12. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

That comment immediately stuck out to me too.

Ron: If you could provide a source that would be great as this is the first I have heard of it too.

13. MoneyWellSpent

For what it's worth, this is a source that I had been previously aware of regarding AE's nomenclature of "Custom Calf": http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?99710-Custom-Calf. It seems to conclude that it is just a strange use of words, though one poster does talk about it's qualities being strangely more waterproof and resistant to taking a shine. However, this seems to be the exception to the rule, and certainly doesn't reflect my experience with their black calfskins.

14. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Corrected grain doesn't always mean inferior.

15. MoneyWellSpent

You are right. Adding something like a Scotch Grain, or something of the sort, to make a shoe more "interesting" doesn't necessarily cheapen the leather. However, if a shoe is a smooth calfskin with no ornamentation, it is likely an indicator of an inferior leather. Otherwise, what are they correcting for?