• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
David, you're probably the thickest person I have ever come across in my entire life.

David Copeland

Reaction score
David, you're probably the thickest person I have ever come across in my entire life.
Thanks for the compliment, Patrick.

I gave up trying to be a one-hundred percenter decades ago - when I found that scoring in the 90-percentile was better for long term happiness. That means I have to admit to mistakes in judgment and correct other views when the facts are staring me in the face. It also means that ninety-percenters are looked upon by the majority of folks as being peculiar and out of the main steam. My old boss, Jim Rohn, taught the staff that 20% of the folks do 80% of the creativity and results, while 80% of the folks only do 20%. And Earl Nightingale and Napoleon Hill and Andrew Carnegie encouraged us to become part of the 5% accurate thinkers and doers, leaving the other 95% to go along with the crowd. What a lonely world it may seem to others - but I have no regrets at the happiness it has brought me.

Looks like you may wish to add more historical biographies of stubborn and thick people to your home library. For more modern times - Here is a good list to start from:

The Ten Most Stubborn People in Tech

And when someone can post other web sites on this forum for me to check out - I will be among the first to give them the same fair treatment as the other sites I am fond of. (I am still waiting for those posts)

David

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Then please post the websites of the professional bespoke shoemakers who have details on their recommendations.

Just because Nick, at [COLOR=0000FF]B Nelson Shoe Repair[/COLOR] - which has been in business longer in years than anyone on this forum, offers many, many products because they have been proven over decades by their master craftsman to be the best - is not recommended by some to be a go-to guy - then post the websites of your recommendations.  It would be nice to have as many alternative professionals as possible.

David

Please refer to the JL RTW video linked above for their non-testimonial lack of using renovator or renomat. Even when they are probably one of Saphirs biggest buyer...

But you are right, John Lobb knows nothing about making and repairing shoes compares to the experts at Hanger Project.

Last edited:

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think i'll start using lexol as a conditioner (and avoid Saphir) for all my calf leather shoes prior to polish. it is used/endorsed by so many including B Nelson right on their site -

http://www.bnelsonshoes.com/accessories.asp

and they claim right on the bottle that it prevents cracking. i doubt lexol would still be in business making that claim if it didn't really do that.

images

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks for the compliment, Patrick. I gave up trying to be a one-hundred percenter decades ago - when I found that scoring in the 90-percentile was better for long term happiness. That means I have to admit to mistakes in judgment and correct other views when the facts are staring me in the face. It also means that ninety-percenters are looked upon by the majority of folks as being peculiar and out of the main steam. My old boss, Jim Rohn, taught the staff that 20% of the folks do 80% of the creativity and results, while 80% of the folks only do 20%. And Earl Nightingale and Napoleon Hill and Andrew Carnegie encouraged us to become part of the 5% accurate thinkers and doers, leaving the other 95% to go along with the crowd. What a lonely world it may seem to others - but I have no regrets at the happiness it has brought me. Looks like you may wish to add more historical biographies of stubborn and thick people to your home library. For more modern times - Here is a good list to start from: [COLOR=0000FF]The Ten Most Stubborn People in Tech[/COLOR] And when someone can post other web sites on this forum for me to check out - I will be among the first to give them the same fair treatment as the other sites I am fond of. (I am still waiting for those posts) David
You dismiss actual experience because I don't have a website. Typing my experience as well as qualitative information stated by so many people on this site is good enough. It is rational. You're being irrational. Want me to create a website for you? I can write anything on it that I want. Why would I mislead anybody? I have no conflicts of interests AND I have experience. What the **** more do you need to be convinced that it is worth thinking about subjectively? Oh I know. A ******* website.

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chill PB. The guy is either a troll, a crackpot or both.

David Copeland

Reaction score
You dismiss actual experience because I don't have a website. Typing my experience as well as qualitative information stated by so many people on this site is good enough. It is rational. You're being irrational. Want me to create a website for you? I can write anything on it that I want. Why would I mislead anybody? I have no conflicts of interests AND I have experience. What the **** more do you need to be convinced that it is worth thinking about subjectively? Oh I know. A ******* website.

You and I both know that anyone on this website can sign up with a phony name or an verifiable alias, and post thousands of personal experiences as a home-grown surgeon or other alleged professional - without any such web link to verify in written form, what they are recommending to owners of high quality shoes. And if someone were to author an instant website to support their views without credentials, the first line of business would be to verify the whois and archive directories to determine if the site was just manufactured to support a recent view - or if it has a history of longevity.

As such, when it comes to recommending personal experiences under a phony name or alias regarding the care and maintenance of $600 shoes, my belief is it would be rather foolish for anyone to take unverified advice without checking valid resources beyond pen names - especially if the buyer is known to have purchased a lifetime of high quality shoes. Summary - Trust but Verify.

Secondly, the continued defense of attack because of an allegation that Saphir was responsible for cracked leather in (six?) pair of $600 shoes - and yet steadfastly neglecting to post any actual pictures of all of the "victim shoes" to show the actual damage - is without merit. Why is that?

Third, dismissing Nick's professionalism as a master craftsman of shoe repair for the use of his products - especially by refusing to contact him in support of the alleged damage to shoes - and not posting the results of the dialog - also proves that allegations of nothing still equals nothing.

For that matter, below is a verified copy of Nick's Question & Answer review of the Saphir Products he uses in caring, repairing, and maintaining high quality shoes:

QUOTE:

"Nick,

"Would you please comment on how the following procedures may work?

"For complete restoration, going in this order:

"1) Saphir Reno'Mat Leather Cleaner?

ANSWER BY NICK: Yes...1 or 2 applications. Let dry in between.

"2) Saphir Dubbin Graisse Conditioner?

ANSWER BY NICK: I prefer not to use Dubbin on dress shoes.

"3) Saphir Renovateur?

ANSWER BY NICK: Only every 3rd or 4th application of cream or wax.

"4) Saphir Pommadier Cream Shoe Polish?

ANSWER BY NICK: Yes.

And as for other shill's chiming in with character assassinations - the obvious lack of civility reveals their mission - and not a replacement for the actual truth.

As always, I wish you the best in looking forward to a very nice Spring week.

David

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well several people on this forum can verify that I am a real person with real shoe problems. I know many people on here, IRL. I'll be sure to create a phony website for you to look at.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There's really no ******* point in talking to Nick when I am the one with the real experience. Nick sees shoes for half a second, plus it has come out of his own mouth that he has never himself even worked on a shoe. He delegates. He's a business owner. Nick himself doesn't even wear dress shoes when you walk into the place. I wear them 7 days a week and have been using Saphir BEFORE nick ever got his hands on the stuff. What the ****?! Honestly, what your obsession and need to hear this from Nick? This is downright comical. I call denial, butthurt, and OCD.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

There's really no ******* point in talking to Nick when I am the one with the real experience. Nick sees shoes for half a second, plus it has come out of his own mouth that he has never himself even worked on a shoe. He delegates. He's a business owner. Nick himself doesn't even wear dress shoes when you walk into the place. I wear them 7 days a week and have been using Saphir BEFORE nick ever got his hands on the stuff. What the ****?! Honestly, what your obsession and need to hear this from Nick? This is downright comical. I call denial, butthurt, and OCD.

Patrick cant you see the only obsession this troll has is yanking your chain .The sooner you quit feeding him the sooner he'll get bored maybe go back on his meds and start leading a more productive life

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics