1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't think that is David, but rather the marketing image for the shoes. Based on what David writes here I suspect he is a bit older than that guy.

2. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

That's definitely a marketing image. I believe it belongs to Nordstrom. The boots sitting on the logs are David's.

3. kirbya

kirbya Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I'll check with Avel to see if they have a product specifically for water damage. There is a high degree of likelihood that the Saphir Hiver-Winter Salt & Snow Stain Remover would work. Avel states that it "eliminates water, salt, snow and perspiration stains on smooth leather, suede and nubuck." Since it's a relatively obscure product, I don't have much experience with it. But Avel claims that it works really well. I'll PM you about it.
    In the seven years that we've been shipping internationally with USPS, we've never once had them pay out a single claim. USPS insurance, in my opinion, is a huge fraud. Better off sending the shoe back to the seller if you can't fix them.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  4. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    That's correct, and thank you for the clarity.

I have edited the original post to indicate the bottom tw photos are sample images.

My best to you,

David

5. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Senior member

Well I finally went ahead and purchased various Saphir products (with help from Kirby). Completed my first cleaning/shine last night on two pairs shown here. Still a lot to learn of this craft, but in meantime feel I have a good feeling for what I'm doing. Only applied two small coats of wax with a drop of water after each. In future shines maybe I'll apply another coat or two if want a higher mirror gloss.

I also need a better cloth to buff at the end. I have an old polyester golf shirt turned shine cloth, but it's not as soft as I would like.

In past I have used meltonian shoe creams (not on these shoes as this was first conditioning/shine on both), saphir is a very nice upgrade. So far I have used very little of each product (renovateur, cream, wax), I'm sure I'll get my money's worth this way. Thanks to the great links and advice scattering this thread by patrick, benhour, david, etc.

Santoni Quentin:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Allen Edmonds Independence Rush:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. patrickBOOTH

I have never used a cloth to buff my shoes after polishing. In my experience using a cloth to buff actually disturbs the finish. Quick but light brushing as always turned a better shine.

7. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Really ? I find a cloth buffing lifts the shine a notch. I don't use though as I prefer the look of a brushed finish

8. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

I use a microfiber glove, the shine enhances noticeably.

9. patrickBOOTH

Then again a factor that I have thought about is my brush is very old and soft. The bristles are much softer than any new brush I have felt. Perhaps the softer bristles and quick, but light brushing acts in a similar manner as a cloth buff.

10. Munky

Munky Senior member

I would recommend Selvyt cloths, although I doubt whether the type of cloth is particularly critical. The said cloths have two sides, one to apply the cream or wax and the other to polish. They improve with washing. They are readily available here in the UK. I am not sure about buying them in the US.

11. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

yea I was going to say anything with really fine fiber would probably do. Selvyt clothe is definitely available in the US

12. wurger

wurger Senior member

I buff with cloth, then brush.

13. Yowzer

Yowzer Senior member

Probably a silly question, does anyone use the shoe cloth that comes along with new shoes (in the box) for their shoe care? I think it's soft enough to be a buffing cloth (I use old T-shirts for this at the moment).

Edit: Woo-Hoo! 100 posts!!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  14. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

I use it for wax and shoe cream, but they are also great for buffing.

15. wurger

wurger Senior member

Congraz on reaching triple figures, now to 4 figures!

16. Yowzer

Yowzer Senior member

Haha.. thanks wurger.

Good to hear cbfn, I've always had the thought the shoe cloth was too nice to be used for mundane shoe care.

17. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

After having about 20 pairs of them in a drawer, I concluded that I will probably never need them all at once.

18. wurger

wurger Senior member

I use shoe cloth from shoe purchases to wipe off dirt and dust, while my cobbler gave me quite a few cotton polish cloth after all the topy I asked him to put on for me.

19. Munky

Munky Senior member

I you do go down the Selvyt route, be careful where you buy them. They tend to vary widely in cost. The cheapest appear to be directly from the makers, in the UK. I use a horsehair brush to give the shoes a dusting off before I clean them. Then I use a large Selvt cloth to apply cream or polish. Then another large one for a final buffing after polishing with a (different) horsehair brush. The cloths go in the washing machine every few weeks. The company says they are 'good as new' after washing. I think that they are better than new.

20. Munky

Munky Senior member

I realised, sadly, this morning that I was probably the only person in the world who uses a shoe horn to put on his Nike Air Max. [​IMG]

I