1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    Although the shoes are nicely done . . . What really caught my eye was the typewriter (something my mother and father used to have in their days working for the Secretary of War) - plus the leather couch/chair and wooden desk.

2. Munky

Munky Senior member

Just for information, I have had great success with Saphir Shoe-Eze. I tried it, first, on a pair of shoes that I keep for experimenting. It did what it said it would do - in this case, softening the leather around my small toes. It didn't leave any marks. I then tried it on a pair or good shoes and had the same response. My toes don't hurt, there are no marks on the shoes. Don't be put off by the foam that comes out of the can. I have no idea what it is made of.

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

All antique cept for the couch.

4. chogall

chogall Senior member

Interesting. The shoe stretching sprays I use is alcohol based and works well with either shoe stretcher or sized shoe trees.

Did you use the Saphire shoe eze with your own feet to stretch? And how thick was the lining and stiffeners?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  5. Munky

Munky Senior member

Yes, I used my feet to stretch them. I found I needed to repeat the process a couple of times. Saphire suggest

- Shake well before using and spray downwards generously, onto and inside the shoe. Afterwards, walk normally and repeat if necessary.
    I'm not sure how thick the 'liners and stiffeners' are. I used the product on fairly heavy brogues.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  6. T Reven

T Reven Member

Hello

I have tried to search for this, but the input seems fragmented, so I will try here, as I am convinced that there must be many more who are wondering the exact same thing.

When receiving a brand new pair of shoes, what are the mandatory steps one must take to ensure durability and and prolonged good looks of the shoe? Nothing fancy, like mirror shine, just the recommended care before starting to use the shoes?

7. wurger

wurger Senior member

There are no mandatory steps for new shoes, as they are supposed to be RTW, especially you don't mind not having certain shines; and a bit of common sense shoe care which is covered many time on this thread after every few wearings, will do the job.

8. davidwarne

davidwarne New Member

Really its nice thread. Great start from this thread. I like your sharing picture. I will also use your tips.
    Thanks...........

9. davidwarne

davidwarne New Member

I will also a sharing some photos of shoes collection after using your steps

10. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    Although new shoes are meant to be worn out of the box, many of us have chosen to add:

Color Cream Polish
    Brush lightly
    Color Wax
    Brush Lightly
    Balming Cream
    Brush Lightly

Above all, enjoy them!

David

11. chogall

chogall Senior member

Interesting. Time to check with Ron Rider to see if they are imported to the US.

12. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

To impart max color onto the shoe from the shoe cream should I go straight to cream and skip Reno? (So all the moisture is soaked in from the cream and not the Reno)

13. chogall

chogall Senior member

You could always wait until Reno dries up

14. B-Rogue

B-Rogue Well-Known Member

One can skip the wax if they are happy with a softer shine.

Can i ask is there a consensus on a decent conditioner nowadays? I remember quite a few pages ago there was a big argument whether Renomat was good or bad for your shoes.

15. B-Rogue

Does Collonil Super de luxe creme contain any turpentine? How does it compare to Saphir?

16. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

The argument was whether renovateur is good solely as a conditioner, not renomat being bad for your shoes.

17. chogall

chogall Senior member

Don't know, but according to Men's Ex, it's superior to Saphir cream in terms of conditioning and penetration.

+1.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  18. B-Rogue

Yes indeed. My apologies. I seem to have mixed the names by mistake. [​IMG] What was the conclusion of that argument? Is Renovateur a good conditioner?

I still am not clear regarding how often Renovateur should be used and whether it needs to be used less if you apply only cream to your shoes (as opposed to wax polish)?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  19. chogall

chogall Senior member

the conclusion is there are forum venders that sells renovateur.

20. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

A trick to help with stretching shoes that have lasted trees. I learned from Nick A@Bespoke.
    1. Create a cardboard insole, roughly the shape of the current insole.
    2. Spray the interior of the shoe to be with shoe stretching spray or go au natural
    3. Insert the trees and the tension will stretch the shoes
    This is a slow process and you can add additional inserts for more stretching.

1 person likes this.