Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

I have no idea, there's so many different opinions about it. I personally wait about 30 minutes before putting them in, and about 1hr for shell.

2. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Maybe loose fibers from your socks? I just put my trees in after I change from work and random stuff around the place... maybe 10-15 minutes.

3. hanskl

hanskl Senior member

That might be.. I did not notice any smell, other than the smell of (relatively) new leather..

4. trophybuck135

trophybuck135 Active Member

I put on about 5 light coats of polish on some new shoes last night and no matter how much I buff with a shirt cloth, polish still comes off onto the shirt. It will bleed onto my pants at this point, will it dry in a few days or do I need to just keep buffing?

Thanks

5. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Wax polish ,if thats what you are using , really takes @ 12 -24 hrs to completely dry .Wait overnite and buff again. That should take care of it.

6. EnsitMike

EnsitMike Active Member

[edit]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013

7. EnsitMike

EnsitMike Active Member

If it is wax polish, the person above is right. If you apply the polish evenly it helps to create a nice base, then use water. Much of what will rub wax polish off is its rough texture in its pre-buffed state.

8. trophybuck135

trophybuck135 Active Member

It was the AE premium shoe polish (I think this is a mix of wax/polish)

Do you have any advice to remove the bleed on from pants?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013

9. vncrz

vncrz Senior member

What's the best way to get rid of mud on dress shoes? The soles are covered by it and a little splashed on the uppers

10. Hill

Hill Senior member

How can putting in shoes trees immediately after wearing not protect from mold? I thought one of the main purposes of shoe trees is to absorb moisture?

11. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Yes, but some claim that the wood only has diminishing absorption, leading to trapped moisture if the wood is saturated. The absorption power also depends on the type of wood and how it's finished.

12. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Get a dry cloth and wipe down your shoe after each wear if you want to take out moisture. Big misconception -- shoe trees just help hold the shape of your shoe i.e. the vamp and toe. It may have a nice smell, too.

13. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I have always put shoe trees in immediately upon taking my shoes off and have never had a problem with mold. Unfinished cedar is the way to go. Sanding them lightly once or twice a year also helps refresh the nice cedar scent. Probably stating the obvious, but also let the shoes sit for a day or two before wearing them again. If you're wearing them 3,4 days in a row they will never completely dry out, and that will create lovely conditions for mold to thrive.

14. hanskl

hanskl Senior member

The C&J shoe trees are not unfinished, so I guess their ability to absorb moisture is very limited, if at all existing. I guess that also makes them ideal to trap moisture inside the shoe, especially since the fit is very good.

However, one would think if the shoes rested long enough between wearings, the leather would be able to wick away the moisture and dry by itself, even though the shoe trees are blocking the free path up the ankle?

15. benhour

benhour Senior member

totally agree with roger!!!

i think leaving your shoes rest for 1 day at least between wears is the best you can do!! if your shoe trees are unfinished you wont have problem to put them in asap after wearing!i do this also and i didnt had any problem with my shoes

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013