• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no idea, there's so many different opinions about it. I personally wait about 30 minutes before putting them in, and about 1hr for shell.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe loose fibers from your socks? I just put my trees in after I change from work and random stuff around the place... maybe 10-15 minutes.

hanskl

Reaction score
Maybe loose fibers from your socks? I just put my trees in after I change from work and random stuff around the place... maybe 10-15 minutes.
That might be.. I did not notice any smell, other than the smell of (relatively) new leather..

trophybuck135

Reaction score
I put on about 5 light coats of polish on some new shoes last night and no matter how much I buff with a shirt cloth, polish still comes off onto the shirt. It will bleed onto my pants at this point, will it dry in a few days or do I need to just keep buffing?

Thanks

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I put on about 5 light coats of polish on some new shoes last night and no matter how much I buff with a shirt cloth, polish still comes off onto the shirt.  It will bleed onto my pants at this point, will it dry in a few days or do I need to just keep buffing?

Thanks

Wax polish ,if thats what you are using , really takes @ 12 -24 hrs to completely dry .Wait overnite and buff again. That should take care of it.

EnsitMike

Reaction score
I put on about 5 light coats of polish on some new shoes last night and no matter how much I buff with a shirt cloth, polish still comes off onto the shirt. It will bleed onto my pants at this point, will it dry in a few days or do I need to just keep buffing?

Thanks
If it is wax polish, the person above is right. If you apply the polish evenly it helps to create a nice base, then use water. Much of what will rub wax polish off is its rough texture in its pre-buffed state.

trophybuck135

Reaction score
It was the AE premium shoe polish (I think this is a mix of wax/polish)

Do you have any advice to remove the bleed on from pants?

Last edited:

Hill

Reaction score
How can putting in shoes trees immediately after wearing not protect from mold? I thought one of the main purposes of shoe trees is to absorb moisture?

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, but some claim that the wood only has diminishing absorption, leading to trapped moisture if the wood is saturated. The absorption power also depends on the type of wood and how it's finished.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Get a dry cloth and wipe down your shoe after each wear if you want to take out moisture. Big misconception -- shoe trees just help hold the shape of your shoe i.e. the vamp and toe. It may have a nice smell, too.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have always put shoe trees in immediately upon taking my shoes off and have never had a problem with mold. Unfinished cedar is the way to go. Sanding them lightly once or twice a year also helps refresh the nice cedar scent. Probably stating the obvious, but also let the shoes sit for a day or two before wearing them again. If you're wearing them 3,4 days in a row they will never completely dry out, and that will create lovely conditions for mold to thrive.

hanskl

Reaction score
The C&J shoe trees are not unfinished, so I guess their ability to absorb moisture is very limited, if at all existing. I guess that also makes them ideal to trap moisture inside the shoe, especially since the fit is very good.

However, one would think if the shoes rested long enough between wearings, the leather would be able to wick away the moisture and dry by itself, even though the shoe trees are blocking the free path up the ankle?

benhour

Reaction score
I have always put shoe trees in immediately upon taking my shoes off and have never had a problem with mold. Unfinished cedar is the way to go. Sanding them lightly once or twice a year also helps refresh the nice cedar scent. Probably stating the obvious, but also let the shoes sit for a day or two before wearing them again. If you're wearing them 3,4 days in a row they will never completely dry out, and that will create lovely conditions for mold to thrive.
totally agree with roger!!!

i think leaving your shoes rest for 1 day at least between wears is the best you can do!! if your shoe trees are unfinished you wont have problem to put them in asap after wearing!i do this also and i didnt had any problem with my shoes

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics