• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

archangle13

Reaction score
Is it safe to use Saphir reno, Saphir cream and then Kiwi wax together for shoes?

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, this will result in spontaneous combustion.

Last edited:

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Is it safe to use Saphir reno, Saphir cream and then Kiwi wax together for shoes?

all things in moderation . the wax only if a high shine is desired

archangle13

Reaction score
No, this will result in spontaneous combustion.
I don't mind flaming-hot shoes.
bounce2.gif

all things in moderation . the wax only if a high shine is desired

Let me clarify. Is it advisable to use Saphir and Kiwi products in combination? That would mean Saphir reno, Saphir cream, and then Kiwi wax.

I only have the Saphir reno and cream now, and I would love to go for a shine without having to import more Saphir considering where I am. The only wax available in my desert is Kiwi.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
archangle13 - I am no expert, but I have combined products from different brands many times without any negative effects whatsoever. It may be that staying withing the same brand family will optimize results, but I'd be surprised if there were any chance of harm whatsoever from laying a coat of Kiwi wax polish on top of Saphir cream.

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't mind flaming-hot shoes. :bounce2:

Let me clarify. Is it advisable to use Saphir and Kiwi products in combination? That would mean Saphir reno, Saphir cream, and then Kiwi wax.

I only have the Saphir reno and cream now, and I would love to go for a shine without having to import more Saphir considering where I am. The only wax available in my desert is Kiwi.

No Ill effects whatsoever

Last edited:

Al in Philly

Reaction score
It's common knowledge that mixing of Saphir products and Kiwi products makes a deadly poison.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
interesting video. i think he is using way too many products for shell cordovan, no?:

for leather, this seems like it would be a good treatment though.

i'm curious about the dye, can this be done to shell cordovan effectively? anything I would need to be aware of in attempting it?

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Chogall. I've cut & pasted that. My search into edge finishing leads me to believe the professionals use a lump of very hard wax + heat from the spinning buffer to burnish this onto the edge. I'll leave it at that, as I don't really know what I'm talking about here. Guess DWF11 would be the man to provide accurate details.

Burnishing is how leather workers 'finish' the edges of belt, bags, soles, etc, and is done by heat + wax to burn the wax into leather fiber.

Burnishing in the shoe making sense is to use heat via high speed buffing and wax polish to darken the color of the leather. See this AA Crack site for the effect of burnishing. Don't know any youtube link that shows burnishing.
http://www.aacrack.co.uk/default.asp?contentID=617

Need DWFII, Posh or Bengle S to shine some lights on the issue.

Northampton Novice

Reaction score

One for den and one for study. To buff or not to buff, it's a question innit.
Thanks Chogall. I've cut & pasted that. My search into edge finishing leads me to believe the professionals use a lump of very hard wax + heat from the spinning buffer to burnish this onto the edge. I'll leave it at that, as I don't really know what I'm talking about here. Guess DWF11 would be the man to provide accurate details.

Lear

Correct. I believe you are talking about yankee wax (not the candles!) it is invariably used with either a hot iron or buffer disc. I have used it it cold, without a disc and then applied heat with great results
If you need any further help/assistance/product let me know but allow a few days for a response as I'm in the midst of my Cordwainer finals!

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Correct. I believe you are talking about yankee wax (not the candles!) it is invariably used with either a hot iron or buffer disc. I have used it it cold, without a disc and then applied heat with great results
If you need any further help/assistance/product let me know but allow a few days for a response as I'm in the midst of my Cordwainer finals!

i have used various lubricants for burnishing ( im speaking in regards to leather edges on belts , wallets , shoe soles etc i know nothing of toe caps and uppers)water,saddle soap wax even spit they all work .my research however shows that serious leather workers seem to prefer a mixture of 50/50 bees wax and parrafin machine buffer applied . you
should understand that burnishing is an art there is no correct way to do it only the method that produces.the desired result . only the basics are constant, friction produced heat
, lubricant and leather . take a raw leather edge dampen it then rub it as hard and fast as you can with a piece of scrap denim youll see what its all about . extrapolate from there

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If? What is this if of which you speak?

you know ozzy this sounds weird but i love to spit shine shoes and look at the results but i dont like the way they look when i wear them. I guess im too informal but then i live in a nor cal beach town people got dress flip flops around here. they think my shell boots boots are some kind of martian lizard hide

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

you know ozzy this sounds weird but i love to spit shine shoes and look at the results but i dont like the way they look when i wear them. I guess im too informal but then i live in a nor cal beach town people got dress flip flops around here. they think my shell boots boots are some kind of martian lizard hide

Hahaaaa! Wear flip flops and put a shine on your toes! That'll learn em! I love to bull my shoes but then walk funny as I'm scared to scuff the finish. Its very sad

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads