**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

I think cirage is just the waxing in itself, whereas glaçage is the name of a mirror shine. You need to cirage to accomplish a glaçage?

2. EnsitMike

EnsitMike Active Member

That would actually make a lot of sense in the context that I've seen the words used. Thanks for the help, that cleared a lot of confusion.

3. archangle13

archangle13 Senior member

Does anyone use leather conditioner on the inside of the shoes? Especially under the vamp, where the majority of the creases are.

4. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

No coz I'm not mad! [​IMG]

5. Lear

Lear Senior member

@ OzzyJones

Your taking part in this thread says it all :D

@ JimC

I mentioned this spotty matter some while back in the big RM thread. Have a pair of claret coloured craftsman boots in yearling. They've been covered in Reno + burgundy soft + hard Saphir. All is fine until there's a slight drizzle, whereupon the pink spots appear. Even minuscule drops of water from hand washing will cause the same. No such problem on other RM boots. This is not simply the concern of an obsessive, but very noticeable to all. The spots only seem to disappear with a light coating of Reno.

RM boots are great. I'm not suggesting it's the boot at fault. In fact, I don't know what I'm suggesting; just my own experience with Saphir on claret yearling. Maybe a smarter person like Crat could explain. I know he spends many a night over an open cauldron, brewing up waxy potions.

Could it be sprinkles of water from your hand washing? It can take a few minutes after wetting for the spots to show.

Lear

6. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Or he's gone to the gents in a bar and its not his aim that's bad.
    Lear, there's shoe care mad and renoing the INSIDE of your shoe mad.
    A subtle but distinct difference I believe

7. Lear

Lear Senior member

You have a point there OzzyJones. But I bet you the Japanese do this :)

8. Crat

Crat Senior member

Those are indeed fantastic, Lear.

I made a compilation of shiny shoes I'd come across on the web a year or two ago; these from the hanger project outshine them all.
    [​IMG]

9. kirbya

kirbya Senior member Affiliate Vendor

They look like water spots to me that have just caused the wax to separate from the leather. I'd use some Leather Cleaning Soap and just repolish. Should fix this problem.

Cheers,
    Kirby

10. SHS

SHS Senior member

PatrickBOOTH wrote about doing this earlier in the thread IIRC.

11. JimC

JimC Member

Thanks gents for your suggestions.

I suspect you're all right and that it is from water spots. And OzzyJones, I'm pretty sure that if it was poor aim-related that I can't point the blame at anyone else... Murphy's law dictates that I only ever seem to be subjected to that when I'm not wearing enclosed footwear.

The fact that it could happen so quickly and so easily from what are probably small droplets after washing my hands is amazing. As I said I have had these things for years and have never seen anything like this before. I have been in downpours before and when using RM Williams' products I have been fine. It wasn't until I got fancy with some French conditioner and some English wax (which I think is the likely culprit) that all the trouble started. I don't understand what the difference would be. I'm going to strip them back soon anyway and will start over with Saphir creme (as it's been so good on my black boots) and from now on I intend avoiding wax on all but the toecap.

Cheers,

James

12. Lear

Lear Senior member

Some questions veering into cobbler territory:

1.) When it comes to dressing the sole edges, what exactly does the professional cobbler do that we can't, due to lack of equipment or access to pro supplies?

2.) Specifically, what's that very solid looking block of hard wax (is it indeed wax?) they use on the edges, and can it only be applied with a large rotary buffing machine?

3.) How much is a large rotary buffing machine?.. only kidding

Cheers

@Crat: nice parade of polished shoes there. Also, just seen your link to spit shine video. Will give a look later.

13. stgrim

stgrim Senior member

Hi Guys,

Quick question:
    Do you usually launder your polishing cloths?
    If so, is there a specific type of laundry detergent used to remove shoe polish?
    Or do you just buy new ones?

Thank you.

14. joiji

joiji Senior member

3. I am convinced you could repurpose a bench/pedestal grinder for this. You'd just have to find an appropriate wheel.

15. Lear

Lear Senior member

And I'd love to do that. Problem being the people in the flat (apartment) below. As it is, you can already discern the shadowy outline of a man seated by window; wrist moving furiously back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. After a few minutes of this repetitive motion, I tend to let out a whoop of immense satisfaction as the shine intensifies. I've invited them round for tea, but they never respond. A bench/pedestal grinder probably ain't going to improve matters.

Lear