Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. benhour

benhour Senior member

i have used it but it didnt drive me crazy!!! hahha (i have a 30ml tin from a travel kit)! its quite good but not something special at my opinion!

2. Hill

Hill Senior member

Is Obenhauf LP essentially the same thing as Montana Pitch Blend?

3. GentlemanJohnny

GentlemanJohnny Well-Known Member

http://www.ted.com/talks/mark_shaw_one_very_dry_demo.html
    on Youtube

I've seen this before and I think the industrial and every-day applications for this product are wide-ranging...in particular, I wonder what you guys think of this. I don't know the specifics of how it works but it looks like it could have interesting benefits for those of us who frequent this thread and live in rainy/snowy/salty areas.

I wouldn't use this on my nice shoes/boots until the product has been out for a while (it's already available) and have the opportunity to sift through feedback and reviews but I'm definitely going to use these on my beater boots and my issued boots. They are more water-repellant than any of the products I've seen on this thread and would probably be more capable than a fresh application of sno-seal. What I'm wondering is whether or not these chemicals will cause long-term damage to leather and if they make it harder for your foot to breathe and for perspiration to get out.

Take a look at the videos...I'm curious to hear what you guys think of this.

4. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

x2

I have never met a scuff on shell that couldn't be removed with ample brushing. This isn't back-and-forth brushing, though, I really get in there and spot-focus in tight circles with lots of pressure. So far, it has alleviated all shell wounds I've encountered.

5. archangle13

archangle13 Senior member

I doubt you are really 'healing' those shell wounds or getting rid of the scruffs. But then again, leather is just dead skin, and were just dead skin cells even when it was on a living animal.

By rubbing, you are probably just increasing the diameter of the scruff to the point where the difference between the scruffed region and the non-scruffed region cannot be discerned.

In other words, you are equally damaging the rest of the leather so that the perceptual contrast is reduced.

6. joiji

joiji Senior member

One

One assumes you did not watch the Horween cordovan video posted a couple of pages back?

7. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Just an update, PS are going to replace my chukkas. I don't know if I want another pair of leather or go with a light suede.

8. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

delete, dbl. post

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013

9. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Good result!

10. hanjin

hanjin Member

mr.moo, idunno if it's been asked (a search showed you haven't said anything about them)
    but who makes those cordovan wingtip bluchers in the very first post? they're gorgeous!

11. easy_golfing

easy_golfing Senior member

quick question.. would you go with medium brown saphir creme or dark brown saphir creme for these?

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4360407

I know they say "dark brown", but the dark brown saphir looks very dark to me. If it makes a difference, I also have dark brown wax polish that I will apply after applying the creme polish

:slayer:

12. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I think when in doubt go lighter. I use the dark brown Saphir cream polish on my Allen Edmonds Fifth Street boots, but they are pretty dark,

13. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

Does anyone know where I can buy Saphir Suede Renovateur spray?

14. archangle13

archangle13 Senior member

Are you talking about the product that does this?

15. easy_golfing

easy_golfing Senior member

Wouldn't.

Wouldn't a lighter polish lighten my shoes? Or will th wax polish even it out then?