1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. laufer

laufer Senior member

Indeed please do not feed the troll and please do not quote him I put him on ignore.

3 people like this.
  2. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Regardless of where the response was sourced from, if it doesn't make sense in response to the question, why pass it along?

Kind of reminds me of:

1 person likes this.
  3. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Dammit David could you just go somewhere else and do this. Im pretty sure everyone else is getting really tired of it too

4 people like this.
  4. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    [​IMG]

5. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

What are you hoping to achieve here?

6. Munky

Munky Senior member

Given that polish and wax products are priced within a fairly narrow band, would anyone care to say whether or not:
    a) all are much the same when it comes to caring for shoes,
    b) fairly similar,
    c) quite different.

7. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I don't think it's quite as easy as picking a letter that sums it up. However, I think it could be analogized to something else that is similar. Perhaps motor oil. Are they all the same? Not quite. Can your car survive on any oil better than none? Absolutely. Will it function better on some oils than others? Potentially. Are people loyal to certain brands of oil? Yes. Do those people tell you that your car is going to fall apart for using your brand of oil if it is different than theirs? Often times they do. Is this true? Not likely. Will your car clunk out in fewer miles for using Brand X rather than Brand Y? You will probably never know. A true research study of this is almost impossible to do with shoes. The closest you could get is by having one individual do a study over the entire lifetime of two pairs of shoes. Rotate them equally, wear them under the exact same circumstances, exact same number of hours, exact same miles walked, exact same weather exposure, so on and so forth. Treat one pair with Brand X and the other pair with Brand Y. After 20 years when they are both worn out, see which pair's uppers are in better condition, or if a pair cracked well in advance of the other. Is this a realistic experiment? Not really. It takes way too long, and I promise that other variables will inevitably take place that will skew the results.

I think the truth is that it's a little bit of A, B, and C combined.

8. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

b )you have to remember this is a shoe care thread so hairs wil be split also keep in mind people have maintained beautiful shoes for many years with drug store shoe polish . I can still remember as a kid marveling at the beauty of the leather on my dads Florshiem wingtips which saw kiwi only

9. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

The biggest difference you will see across the board is the difference between the shine of cream polish vs. wax. The differences is wax polish isn't a huge difference from eye to foot distance, but only marginal at child's arms length.

I think the real difference is in the conditioning properties and the effects of the stuff over time.

10. VegTan

VegTan Senior member

Here is an experiment concerning the difference of neutral water-based creams.

11. benhour

benhour Senior member

i tend to agree with most that have been said by the Gent's before me!!! for me threre are similar properties but there are better products according to the use!!!
    1) quick shine- pigment concentration collonil 1909 creme de luxe(really easy to shine,some kind of brush on-buff with brush or cloth and you are ready to go)
    2)dubbin-Woly i use it for years and at my opinion is the best or one of the best(u have to wait at least 2,5days before buffing)
    3) best shine-scratch cover and color range Saphir MDO
    4)spit shine collonil wax 1909-Saphir MDO wax with a little better result with the saphir
    5) mirror shine combination of 3 products if you use only one Saphir is better
    6) conditioning Renovateur of saphir combined with 1909 colonil cream and woly dubbin
    7)dyes i use saphir and tarrago
    8)water prooffing they are all the same at my opinion(refering on suede protection)

This is my opinion always counting on products i have used!!!So i cant say about Glenjays polish cause i havent used it!!it looks really good stuff though

12. Munky

Munky Senior member

The suggestion (as I read it) that an evaluation of shoe products tends to take a lifetime, is no guide to what we do in the present. We, presumably, choose products with expectations of their effectiveness. Can we say, honestly, that we notice the difference in shine between product 'y' and product 'z'? Can we be sure that product 'a' nourishes our shoes better than product 'b'? If, for example, Saphir products were the same price as Kiwi products, would we still choose the Saphir? In other words, can we take a transcendent view of all of these products and pick out the really effective ones?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  13. Munky

Munky Senior member

Just to note that my response came in after some other people had posted.

14. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I don't think so. Some say that they have an easier time with Saphir, others say the same with Kiwi. I really appreciate glenjay's molecular approach to shoe care, and it sheds some great insight into what may be best for leather health. The problem is, however, that so much of the ingredients of the shoe care products out there is proprietary and mysterious. So, even knowing what is best for leather in theory, doesn't necessarily mean that you are using the best products. You have to make that knowledge applicable, and that isn't entirely possible when half of the equation is shrouded in mystery. Then there is also the misuse of the product (even if it's the best one) to consider. Misuse can take many forms, ranging from overuse, not used often enough, technique problems, etc.

I think you are spot on with the comment that we choose products with expectations of their effectiveness. Unless, perhaps, you make your own products to pair with your knowledge as glenjay has done. Maybe that's why we should all be buying his stuff!

15. Dingusberry

Dingusberry Senior member

Anyone know how to remove beer stains from suede leather?

16. glenjay

glenjay Senior member

Thank you MoneyWellSpent and benhour for your positive comments on my products and approach.

I think the assessment by MoneyWellSpent that the mystery of specific ingredients in any given shoe polish makes it almost impossible to do a valid evaluation of the various products, without extensive personal experience like benhour listed, is spot on.

I think it would be ideal if the makers of shoe polish would simply list the ingredients in their polish. But that's just crazy talk.

17. glenjay

glenjay Senior member

First, as a preventative measure in the future: At some point you have to hold the glass with both hands, or just go home.

I assume you are referring to suede leather shoes, and not your girlfriend's suede camisole. In the case of shoes, I would dampen them both with a damp cloth or sponge (not real wet, but enough to darken the suede), let them dry a little (30 minutes) and then spray on some suede cleaner. Wipe the shoes down with a clean dry cloth and let dry. Brush the nap with the brush on the cleaner can (if it has one) or use a stiff bristle brush, once the shoes are dry.

2 people like this.
  18. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I know it doesn't help much for this stain but the other preventative measure would be to treat suede shoes with water/stain protector before wearing. The AE branded stuff seems to work great for all of my suede and I've yet to see a mark that didn't just brush out with a suede brush.

19. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

20. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    For newcomers here . . .

Roger Huard, Wolverine’s Vice President of Product Development, demonstrates how to care for your 1000 Mile boots:

As the video shows, Roger prefers to:

a) Use Wire brush around the welt

b) Remove laces

c) Use his bare hands to apply conditioner

d) Apply conditioner to portion of sole where it is worn.